Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3) >

Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Community

Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Congrats on the doe bhunter she's a beauty. Waiting for my summer sausage to be done at the butcher from my doe. Good eating. Now lets go after the big boys.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

bh nice pics and congrats on both your lovely wifeand the doe.

Well my season opened on theWed but I could not get out till today. Very uneventful day except for all the noise. It seems that a motocross track was built since the last time I hunted this spot. I did scout it but on a week day. I guessthe trackis closed during the week. Oh well. I will be heading to another area tomorrow.

Paul
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

first day is in the books. Whacked a nice doe at 40 yards to get some meat in the freezer. SAw a dandy eight pointer but he wouldn't cooperate. My buddy was pushing to me and he got in between us and doubled back. All i saw was his head and antlers. No worries, I'll have plenty more opportunities
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

I saw nothing on Saturday. My son spooked a 6 point away. I can't remember how many times I told him, look around before you make any movements. Well he didn't do that, stood up and stretched and there was the buck. It had came into 15 yards and was watching him as he stood. I won't be out until Saturday and then again on Monday. Congrats guys on the does'.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Well, sounds like we are all getting a little hunting done! I am going to hit it hard this coming weekend, as a cold front is supposed to move into ILon Saturday. The heat and the mosquitos are keeping me quiet right now, but I will be back in action this weekend and with a little luck will hopefully smack anasty oneto get us on the board! I have a friend that hunts near one of my areas and he said that he saw a big buck feeding in the bean field adjacent to our farm. I am assuming it is likely the big 8 pointer that I glassed this summer. Upon hunting this weekend, big rubs are starting topop up nearmy stand....nowI just have to be in it at the right time!

Saturday is the wifes birthday as well, but she said she wants a birthday buck...so we are hitting the woods! Ha, I love her!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting for her birthday. I hope you know just how lucky you are.

Ok team I have a couple questions. 1) Doany of youbelong to a hunting club?2) What kind of pros and cons have you or friends encountered?

I am asking because I have a chance to get into a club where I live that has almost 5000 acres mostly in 2 large tracts and a bunch of scattered smaller ones.2500 acresof which is within a reasonable drive1/2hr to 45 minutes the other 2200 acresis about 2hours away. The club is maxed at 65 bow hunters, some are more active than others. It seems that at least five to ten deer in the 125" to 150" rangewhere taken each of the last few seasons and a couple 150"s to low 160's. They are on the walls either in the flesh orin photos.

Management is only reallyfullypracticedon one of the large tract, minimums of 6pt and spread outside the ears.The other areas are not strictly enforced but it seems that most are doing the right thing. No second buck till a doe has been taken is also in effect, where legal that is. Food plots are in and consistof corn, soy, and clover.

The season runs from Oct 1st to Dec 31st for bow and gun (shotgun / muzzleloader)is weekdays only in Jan from the first Monday till the last Friday. So 4 almost full months of hunting. What would you consider a reasonable cost? I am new to this paying to hunt thing (times change).

I took a tour of 4 of the 6 properties and all have great potential. The few membersI met seemednice and had nothing but good things to say about the club and how it was run. There are a bunch of things I left out, club houses at each large area. Room to store your quad and aplace to sleep at each club house if you are traveling to the more distant location. Minimum distances from stand to stand100 yds during bow season double during gun season. While this does not sound like much it is rare to have a 30 yard bow shot.

After some responses I will let you know how much, just want to get someuntainted opinions first.

Thanks Paul
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

my neighbor is a member of a hunt club and loves it. They have a management going on and they have a good amount of deer on it. I know that he paid good money to get on it though.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry Surf, I don't have any experience with hunting clubs. I am fortunate and have land in the family thatwe hunt, but that is getting tight with youngerrelatives growing up and getting into hunting. It is great to have kids getting into hunting, but we aren't getting any more land to accommodate the hunters. I have thought about getting a lease for myself and maybe a few friends and family. I think the most I would pay would be around $2000 a year per personfor hunting rights. That number may go up ifI didn't have anywhere to hunt. That is about as good as I can do to help you out.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses so far. The cost of this deal would be 500$ to join the club, a one time fee, since the seasons hasalready begunthey will cut that in half 250$. To hunt the bow season on all properties 1300$ to gun hunt add and additional 400$ depending if you want to hunt upstate as well as downstate. 250 + 1300 + 400 = 1,950$ for this season 1,600$ - 1,700$ each season after that.Scouting during the season only between 10am and 2:30pm. Calling to reserve an area to hunt. Not exactly sure how that works yet, who gets to hunt where, ect. Will have to find out the rest of the hows and why's.

There is also bird hunting at average costs, guide and dog services ataverage cost and duck blinds to use.

All in all it seems like adecent deal, but.

Paul
Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Typical Buck

Ihave turned away from the idea of joining a club and have now focused my attention/budgeting on going in with my father and purchasing a farm. It is a real dream of mine to buy a farm and build a cabin style home on it by the time I am 35 years old. So far, after a lot of careful planning/budgeting and figuring, my father and I feel like we will be able to look into buyinga farm in about 5 years. Would be sooner if the next two years werent going to stall me, asthe wife andIhave to save for her new vehicle. How many of you own property?? Any tips??

I hope that within this 5 year time frame, the land prices will slip downward and will make the property that much more affordable. With falling cash crop prices this may be possible. Right now the land in my neck of the woods50% M/L tillableand 50% M/L timber sells anywhere from 3000-3500/acre. I am hoping that by the time we have saved the down payment+ about a 20% emergency fund, the prices will hopefully be down to 2000-2500/acre. Fingers are crossed! Wish me luck, and again, any tips or suggestions for me??

Quick Reply: Official Team Bone Freaks Thread (3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.