Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team 60 yds 1 pin Thread (41) >

Official Team 60 yds 1 pin Thread (41)

Community

Official Team 60 yds 1 pin Thread (41)

Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 41 thread

Im trying to decide if i want to get my butt up tom morn and go watch the feild by my house.There are deer out there now what do you guys think i should do. Isaw them with my high beams when i pulled into my drive way
Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan,

I've been at this a long time. It's hard to kill em from your bed! You can sleep when you're dead!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

How'd it go Ryan? I didn't see this last night but if I had I would have told you to get about 100-200 yards off the field. With the bright moon the deer will be filtering out of the field early and looking for acorns on their way back to their beds. It's hard to catch deer near the edge of a field in the morning. My experience has been to be back in the woods in the morning and catch them going to their beds. I like being off the field in the evening too, but that's just because around here deer aren't out in the field during daylight hours, except maybe a doe or two. Full moon also tend to have the bucks moving more midday as they fed later and bedded earlier and then they tend to get up for a stretch in the middle of the morning. First light and then 10-2 are good times during a full moon. YMMV. Anyone else see that as the pattern?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I got up to go out and it was raining hard i was tired i was like ehh Ill wait til Tom. Ive always been more of a night hunter I have trouble getting up in the morning. I have tom off so I will be out.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks everybody!
sorry its been awhile.. I get on but with a bad connection here whenever I do i can't post. hunting has been slow by me but now all our corn is chopped but with the Tzone hunt this weekend I'm not even going home. I will be home to hunt again the weekend of the 24th and the following weekend will be a much needed 4 day "sick days" from school. hopefully I can find a lovesick buck then. Good Luck guys let get some!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys im headed out bright an early tom. Ive got the hole day off so i will see what i can do lol. Im hopeing for a buck but if a doe presents itself i might have to tag it and i will be tagged out haha
Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 PM

well i am here again and just want to express my frustration of how badly I want to be out of this darn city and in a tree... sounds like things are really heating up back home, scrapes, rubs all the good stuff. they also saw a moose about 7 miles from my place which is quite unusual. just thought I'd share
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: yesterday's Wyoming adventure

The four boys from Pa. and I left Denver Thurdays morning @ 3:30 am. We had a rendez-vous with my younger sister, a good friend (Mark Perry-a dear mate with cancer), and three cajuns from Louisana. We passed through Laramie, Wy. and headed northwest towards the town Of Medicine Bow. We arrived around 7:00 am. It didn't take long to get into antelope.Two of the Pa boyzset out together; I took the otherkeystoners. My sister and Mark hunted with the three gents from La. Chris Laylon, owner of Laylon's Taxidermy in Montours, Pa.,was first to draw blood, he shot a small 7" buck-he became confused when the herd of 40 animals started mixing up in front of us ( I was trying to get him on a 15 incher-he got a little hasty). I shot the next two does. Chris followed with his first doe and second goat. The wind was hollowing! It made hunting almost undoable! My eyes were red and sore from blowing sand; I swallowed enough dirt to rebuild the Hooover Dam. Phil Heasly, from Williamsport, Pa., dropped a nice 14 incher while spot and stalk hunting on his own. He pulled off a brilliant 400 yard, straight into the wind, shot. Chris, Phil, and I spent the rest of the day retrieving the "fast food" from the bush (or lack thereof). All in all, 3 bucks and 9 does were taken. We spent this morning processing all the meat.

The guys are now on their way to the mountains. We'll be hunting elk in the hood tomorrow!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

400 yards!?
Wow that is impressive. Just joshin' ya Huck. Sounds like fun. Hope to see some pics posted soon. Going out in the drizzle in 15 minutes to set up over some apple trees behind work.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys So i wasnt able to help are team out. I feel bad for not getting us any points. I do have a story for you though. Its oct 16th and im sitting watching the weather at 8:30pm. I see that its supposed to get down to 33 degrees. That was enough to put me in the mindset thatI have to be in my tree stand in the morning. I figured with the cold weather the deer would be up and movingin themorning. I wake up oct 17th at 6:00am to my alarm. Sunrise was not till 7:11. "Here in vermont we can shot 30 mins befor sunrise." I got up had a glass of milk, got in my camo and headed to the treestand.It is only 600 yards from the house.

On my way down it was a full moon i didnt see anything in the hay feild on the way to my stand. I was thinking here we go again another long sit just to see some squirrls. I sneak into my treestand without making any noise i was real happy about that. I get all set and ready by 6:20. I then relized I probly should of got there earlier sence it was about 20 mins tillI could shot.I knock my arrow and fix my rage broadhead from taking it out of the quiver. Im sitting there it feels like its been a while so i look at my cell phone just to see if it is legal shooting hours it says 6:47. Im sitting there thinking somtihng should start happening any second.

3 mins later i here a stick crack to my right. I was just thinking oh heres my squirrls playing around again. So i dont pay much attention to it. Im looking around and then look back to my right and theres 2 does. I was caught sitting down. I had my release hooked to my string already. I was sitting there thinking how amI going to do this. Only had one shooting lane so when she was in it stood up and drew my bow at the same time. She did just whatIwanted her to she frooze. It was a perfect broadside shot.I made sureI was calm put the the pin right were it needed to be and slowley squeezed the trigger. I swear that arrow moved so slow that i could of thrown it faster. It ended up hitting the perfect spot. Theres nothing like that whack of the arrow hitting a deer. It was a complete pass threw. I watched the deer for about 50 yards and she stopped and started to stumble then she went out of sight.

I wait in my treestand for about 30 mins called my gf and told her to drive my truck down. I called all of my buddy told themI got one. I was trying to do anything i could to stay in the tree i didnt want to push the deer. So i get down and stand wereI hit her. Im just standing there looking around and i see a deer at about 50 yards away and im like what the heck i hope thats not my deer. I was thinking theres no way. I stand there and watch her i get oput my primos can call and hit that twice. All of a sudden that doe kind of circles around and comes to 10 yards away from me. I couldnt believe it. She then smelt me and kind of just ran off then stopped and walked. my Gf then calls me and says she just jumped to deer so i turn around and heres a deer running straight at me this deer goes 10 yards from then sees me cause i waived my arm causeI thought it was going to run me over.

Well after all that excitment we get on the blood trail. Couldnt ask for a better blood trail. We follow it about 35 yardsI look up and theres the deer right about were i had seen her stumble she had made it about 3 more yards. In the end 50 yard tracking job. The rage broadheads do it again. pics to come just got to go grab the camara and upload them. Again im sorry i didnt help the team out but im so excited about getting this doe she went 110 lbs looks like a good mature doe.

Quick Reply: Official Team 60 yds 1 pin Thread (41)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.