Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10) >

Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)

Community

Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)

Congratulations on a great buck!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Nice work Zach! Been windy and warm here in IN, hopefully it cools down later this week.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Good Buck Team Mate...Congrats..... Season Opens Sat here in Up state NY
Old 10-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Hey guys,

Yet again, my internet is being stupid so I havn't had a chance to get on here. Things have been slow the past week, didn't see many deer, and the ones I did were all does. I got out yesterday evening and had a rough time getting set-up in a new area. I climbed my tree and as I was strapping my safety harness on, I heard a deer blow behind me. I saw two deer run back into the swamp and one came up the hill towards me. I pulled up my binos and looked through the brush to see that it was a nice 8 point, close to being a shooter. The whole time, my bow was laying on the ground. He wasn't spooked and walked off slowly. I stayed there till dark and didn't see anything else. This new area is looking great, and this coming week should be a great spot with the cold weather setting in.

Congrats on the buck Zach, thats awsome! Good job buddy!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doe down!

Doe was shot: October 18, 2008
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot this doe 40 yards from my treestand coming down a hill broadside. The shot was further back than I knew at the time, so I started tracking her after an hour not knowing that my shot was further back than I would have liked. After 30 minutes of searching I couldn't find my arrow or a blood trail. I called my dad and explained the situation to him and he said ask the neighbors if they would help me track my deer. They did! I showed Darrel, (my neighbor) where I shot my doe and where I last saw her. We spread out to where I last saw her and about 100 yards from there we spooked her up from bedding down. We went to where the she was bedding down and there was blood everywhere! We decide to continue tracking her in an attempt to bleed her out. We tracked her for 5 hours and were amazed that this deer could still continue to run after loosing so much blood!

We lost the blood trail at the edge of a big pasture. Darrel saw the deer stagger up from bedding down at the edge of the wood line and start walking away. Now the deer could only go three ways. Up a steep mountain, (Which we didn't think it had the strength to do because the whole time we were tracking it, it was always going down hill.) into the pasture where there wasn't much cover, or follow the fence line. We searched up the mountain for 30 minutes then I walked the fence line for about 200 yards before we decided to head back home.

When my dad got home I explained where we last found blood and where Darrel last saw my deer near the fence line. We dove into the pasture where the doe was last seen and began searching again. My dad said he would search the mountain side of the fence and I would search the pasture for my deer. There were little tree lines all throughout the pasture with a little pond in the middle of the field. I first looked by the pond for my deer but found nothing. I then decided to go help my dad search the mountain for my deer. On the way up to the mountain I decided to walk into a thick little treeline that ran from the woods all the way to about 40 yards from the pond. As soon as I stepped into the treeline my deer jumped up 5 feet from me and ran a short distance before collapsing. I nocked an arrow and gave her a finishing shot. I called my dad on the walkie talkie and told him that I found my deer! The whole track job with my dad lasted no more than 5 minutes... Versus the 5 hours we were tracking her in the morning!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the doe! I shot one yesterday as well. I would recommend next time just giving the animal time to expire. I think you were very lucky in finding that doe. Congrats again and good luck with the remainder of your season.

Za
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys. I've been really busy and haven't had time to check in. I shot two does last Monday morning. Movement has been terrible here in IL up until the cold front came through last Wednesday. That seemed to get the deer up and moving a bit more. Unfortunately, my fall break is over and its back to hunting the weekends.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Been seeing a lot of deer, 9 different bucks, in the past week. Of course only the small ones have been close enough for a shot. The small bucks here in IN are really starting to run and chase the does around, but the larger bucks I've seen (130-140") want nothing to do with the does yet. I have to go to AL for work next week, but I'll be on vacation the 1st week of Nov and hope to have something to report. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Gang, I brought us in some points... He Grossed alittle over 120..Ill get enterd soon.. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3124270

Quick Reply: Official Team Bone Collectors Thread (10)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.