Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30) >

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Community

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Old 10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 30 Thread

I had a 110ish 8 ptr and a 4 ptr in a woodlot with methis evening - almost bagged a doe with the truck on the way home...

-fsh
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Maryland.

I'm trying to get away from the does....and get on the bucks. Todya was my best, ever (in that regard). Sighted 5 bucks from stand, today......and NO does.

I'm close. I can feel it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm trying to get away from the does....and get on the bucks. Todya was my best, ever (in that regard). Sighted 5 bucks from stand, today......and NO does.
Awesome Jeff, you don't normally get many 5 buck days afield. But when you do, man can they boost the confidence.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Ok guys I added my score wroung he is actually 126 4/8 so he is more then i thought
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Marylandbowhunter, that's a fine looking buck! Way to go.

I went out this morning - nice day though a little cool at about 25 degs. At first light, deer started working their way up the hill on the open slope, using a variety of trails. In all, I saw 22 deer, 3 of which were bucks - a spike, a 2-pt, and a 4 pt. The spike came by within 25 yards but the others were about 150. All the bigger bucks seem to have made themselves scarce for the time being, but that should start to change in a week or two.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing moving the last two evenings. Anyway,the soon-to-be pre-rut activities should getthings moving - I have never seen somany scrapesin the woods as thisyear. I'll take a short break from the tree stand and go on a fall turk huntin VA next week.

-fsh
Old 10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Better afternoon,Isaw 6 bucks tonight -however, the biggest wasonly a basket 14" 8 ptr that I had standing broadside at 12 yds. Deer were on the move, as I came v.close to bagging a buck standing in the roadwith the truck on the way home.

-fsh
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Been away for 3 days, automobile shopping. Got skunked. Tomorrow morning I figure tosneak out early after deer again and will report back.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I had a small basket 7ptr within 5 yds this morning. I hunted in another area this afternoon -wind up to 30 kts!, but the deer were moving. Had a doe/fawn pass at 20 yds- no shot. There are just lots of scrapes and rubs and pics on the motion cameras, just need to get back the horseshoe I lent someone, lol...

-fsh
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys, just checkin in, unfortunatly with some not so good news.

Last Wednsday, Oct. 22, I was hunting in a little wood lot behind my house. At 6:00, I heard a crash to my right. I looked over and saw something big crossing a small stream. At first I thought it could have been someone riding a horse, as the neighboring property is a horse farm, but then I saw a high rack over the top of the brush. I grabbed my bow and got ready just as the buck came into view, when something else behind him caught my attention.
From the same place, another big buck appeared. The second buck was wider, but not as high. I'm not great at scoring, but I would say both bucks were in the 95" to 115" range. They came into about 20 yards and began to spar. I could tell they were both legal 8 points (at least 4 points on one side in PA), but neither offered me a good shot. It was a breath-taking sight watching two of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in the woods fight 20 yards in front of me (I was on the ground as well).
After about 10 minutes of off and on sparing, two doe ran down through the field and into the woods. The two bucks took notice and pranced off the way they had come. At 6:25, the two doe were feeding 30 yards in front of me. 5 minutes later, the high 8 came back in to join the doe.
With light fading, he finally offered me a shot. At 20 yards, I settled my pin behind his shoulder and released. He turned and bolted back the way he had come, with the arrow stuck in his side. He was out of sight for around 5 seconds when I heard him come crashing back through the woods, doubling back on his trail. He broke off to his left and crashed through some more brush, then all was silent. Since he had his opposite side facing me when he doubled back, I couldn't tell if he still had the arrow in him or where exactly he was hit. I was pretty sure he wouldn't make it much longer, but decided to play it safe and wait until the next morning beforebeginning totrack.
It was a sleepless night, but at 6:30 Thursday morning, I was heading back over the hill. When it got light enough, I bagan the track. A search at the POI revealed nothing, and after not finding any blood or hair, I began circling through the thick brush where I last saw him. I began walking around the perimeter of the property looking for any fresh deer sign. When I reached the far side of the property, I saw some red splotch on a yellow leaf (keep in mind, the property is only about 5 acres of woods). I licked my finger and wiped the leaf. Sure enough, the splotch dissappeared; it was blood.
The blood was becoming more easily seen as the frost was melting. I followed the trail all the way back to about 20 yards from the POI, where I also found three clumps of hair about the size of a 50cent piece. The trail had been fairly sparce though consistent, except for two pie place sized pools of blood no more than 3 yards apart in the underbrush.
I was working my way back to where I had first found blood when I heard a crash. I looked up and saw the buck jump out of his bed, charge into the fence (theres a small wire fence boardering the property), crawl through it, and bolt about 150 yards across the field before finally reentering the woods on an adjacent property. This occured 15 hours after the initial shot.
I found his bed. It was warm, and there was no blood and no arrow. I couldn't believe what had just happned and relized that he would probably make it.
My deer search turned into an arrow search. But after another two hours of raking through the brush, especially near the area of those two pools of blood, I called off the search and went home.
My quess is that I must have either clipped the back of the shoulderbladeor hit a rib square on the nose and only penetrated one lung. Although I didn't hear a"crack" when the arrow hit and he didn't stumble or fall after the shot.
I've decided to pretty much devote the rest of my season to hunting that buck. Im sure that he will be much more cautious next time he comes through that area (If he ever decides to come back through that area), but the rut is fast approaching and Im hoping he'll come check out some tinks 69.

Quick Reply: Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.