Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30) >

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Old 09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 30 Thread

First (white-tail) outing today, and I had a deer magnet up my butt. I saw 10 does and fawns this morning, no shot opportunities; and went to a different place and saw 14 more deer this afternoon. This afternoon, I had a doe w/2 fawns with a spike all less than 15 yds - I'd taken the doe, but she picked me out up my tree and put some distance btw us. Three other bucks I saw were also rag horns. I thought about a doe fawn, 14 yds broadside & a good eating deer who met my criteria (no spots) - but I gave her an 'opening day' pass.

-fsh
Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Headed out to the spot this morning where I got my whitetail last year. When it was still only light enough to see dark blobs rather than actual deer, they surrounded me. As it got lighter, I made out doe after doe, with nary a buck. Eventually one winded me and snorted, whereupon they all got nervous and cut away from me, going up a different trail 200 yards away. Over an hour or so, I watched probably 25 to 30 does and fawns.

Just when it seemed there were no bucks within miles, I spotted one coming up the hill. Binocs told me it was a small 4-point, and I wondered if more would follow. On cue, a much bigger 4-point appeared, followed by cranker 5-point (that makes 10 points in all, you eastern guys). In a line, the 3 proceeded up the same trail as all the does had gone.

SO - this afternoon, I took a stroll out there with my pruning shears and sierra saw, found a great ambush site, and commenced to prune some shooting lanes. The stand will be a ground blind against a 2 1/2 foot pine tree with various Saskatoon bushes and other brush around it. Tomorrow morning can't come soon enough.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck Jack!

I'll likely be trying to get a doe on the earn-a-buck lands tomorrow.

-fsh
Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

fsh- wondering when you were getting back, sorry to hear about not connecting with a moose in the gerat prov. of Newfoundland. still want to return there for Caribou. has been about 35 years since i was there last and 46 since i lived there.
My first goat hunt was a bust got 80 miles out and had engine problems. started limping back before season opened. took two days travel to get back to Whittier, what took 4 hrs to get there.[:@][:'(] ended up also waiting out storm (about half way back)and hunted bears for 2 days. no luck there either. get off 8th for 6 weeks 2-3 weeks for goats and then to WI in Nov for deer for 6 days.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a great sit this morning. Brknarrow (Frank) was here hunting with me....and I hunted a portion of a wodlot I'd never sat in, before. I had a small herd under me in the pre-dawn darkness....but nothing I could make out. At first light....I had a few does get downwind of me and blow me out. My fault for setting up all wrong....although I had the wind played right. I picked the wrong tree by 40 yds.

Wind will have me back there in the AM.....and we'll see if we might catch a buck coming home a little late.

Don't know about the evening, yet.....but I'll be out there.

Good luck to all of you hunting.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Ok so ive been trying to get on for a week and my computer hasnt been bringing the page up.... Little recap...

Tuesday evening... first time in the woods... great evening, not to hot, no wind... but no deer
Saturday morning... i watched 2 spikes walk around for a couple of hours
Sunday morning i was busted by 2 does that i never heard come down the 4wheeler trail behind me... i almost fell out of the stand... they came back a few hours later... never got a shot though... will write more but in the middle of some serious homework lol... good luck to all you guys!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Pat - ummm, not your year for engine problems. Caribou are scarce in NFLD - be sure to do your research if you go. Seems coyotes are a problem and they've cut way back on the number of tags.

--------------
Well guys, I got a nice doe tonight - especially nice because she came off my earn-a-buck lands, so I've gotthe doeout of the way. I set up in some red oaks where I saw deer feeding Saturday morning. She came in 1815 tonight and started feeding out in front. I waited for the good shot, 13 yds and a slight quartering away angle. I xx-lunged her, & heard her crash just ~80yds out. Nice eating 1 1/2 yr old, one of my favorites .

Keep up the posts on your adventures!

-fsh

Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Andy
Congrats on the doe ,nice young one. Sounds like your in the deer from the last few readings. Hope the feed stays the same for ya. Deer tend to move where the food is eh! I've been held of the page for a few days,thought the site was down actually, couldn't get on even though I got replies stateing you'd had made a post.Weather has turned to record setting temps here for the rest of the week,so I need to find the water if I can get out a few nights. Good luck to you all and hunt safely.
Rocky
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Nice going, Andy. Nice to have some good table fare and now the option to shoot a buck.

I was out this morning, looking for the nice buck I saw yesterday. From my new stand location, I watched all the deer mosey past the stand I was in previously. However, the big guy never showed anyway. Tomorrow's another day.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

My last post was on the 29th; went out again yesterday and saw the big buck again, from 100 yards. Had my camera with me and found I had forgotten to put a card in it. This morning there was lots of action but the big boy never showed. Here's one buck that went by at about 70 yards.

Quick Reply: Official Team Nock Em Dead Thread (30)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.