Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Guys, I can't believe what happened to me yesterday. After several scouting trips to the archery only public land near me I had finally decided where my setup should be and the best route to take in for Saturday afternoon. Due to wind and parking restrictions my walk was going to be about 1 mile, but I figured that I knew where the buck who's sign I located was going to be, if he hasn't been killed yet.

So Saturday afternoon I park get my gear and off I go. About halfway there, I hear a deer hauling tail through the brush right toward me. I kneel down and knock an arrow. Well then I see what's making all the ruckus. It's a mature 10 point buck, and he's about 20 feet away from me trying to run backwards braking because he's seen me. When he finally stops, he's about 10 feet away, but he doesn't take the time to stare, he bolts on down the draw away from me. By the time I get turned in his direction to draw he's already at 40 yards and having nothing to do with the bleats I'm mouthing at him.

Oh well, I didn't get him. On the bright side I know he's there, and he's a real good buck. I'm sure he was running because another hunter, NOT using the wind walked in on his bedding area and spooked him out, but maybe the other guy didn't get a look at this bruiser, and will just think he jumped a doe. I don't know how to play this now, I doubt that he'll keep using this same area too much after being run out like that. So any advice is welcome. I have to say with 25 days left in my season and this whole week being archery only, I have to give myself some fairly good odds at getting another shot at this buck. And the next time will be on my terms if I can help it at all. LOL.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marty... sounds like you were close bud. You'll get one.. I'm sure of it.

Gents.. I am taking a much needed and LONG step back from HNI til whenever I feel the need to return. I will be back of course by next season to help defend the dynasty that we've created.. one more buck will seal the deal.

Too much popular contests for me. LOL! Way past an annoying level.

When I return I will likely be under a different user name.. at which time I will inform the peeps behind the scenes.. since I know them personally. I will let you all in on the name change too.

To reach me either check out www.bowhunting.com and PM me there. Or email me at anytime.. [email protected]

Dano.. we will do our scouting still soon. Email or call when you're ready after the holidays.

And some others have my number.. feel free to call.

We got this in the bag boys. Good luck to you all who still hunt. One more and we'll seal the fate for sure.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a good break Mike! Your advise has been incredibly valuable over the last few seasons, keep it real.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike - U got my number buddy. Ring my phone sometime. Or I'll ring yours... You're a hell of a guy- I don't wanna lose touch.

Al - any tags left, buddy? I have a single doe tag remaining, but not sure if i'll bother with it. Maybe attempt a recurve hunt before i start shed hunting.

Marty - You are showing some real determination - still grinding away at it, even this late in the game. I tip my hat bro. Proud to have you as a teammate. Eventually, your hard work will pay off. Bank on it.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well as I watched the sun set from class I realized that that was it for our deer season here in NY. I only ended up eatting one doe tag, so thats not bad. Pretty damn good year for me though! Im going out tomorrow to start scouting for next year![8D]
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I got my buck tag I haven't had time to get out work is going nuts right now and snow is in the forecast every other day this week. 8 to 12" on thursday night to Friday morning. I might try and head out an Sunday with the bow. There is another special gun hunt Dec 24 to Jan 4th I might only be able to get out twice for that. I want to go Christmas afternoon but the wife might get PO'ed.

Come Jan 4th WI season comes to an end. Then I'll take a month or so off and start shed hunting.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Danno - good luck with that buck tag. If you don't fill it, it carries over, right? Are you and Jason still running trail cams up at your cabin? Any bucks make it through? I'll give you a call one night in the next week or so.

Al - you had a hell of a season bro. Hats off to you. Maybe next fall, you can clear you calendar and come down to hunt Ohio with Danno and I. Maybe we can even drag Mike out of the cage forthe weekend, too. I'm starting to locate and prep the stand sites as soon as I start shed hunting next month. I'm 100 percent focused on what I need to do on my end.

I plan on being an angel for the next month - scoring some brownie points to open up some"Me Time"in Jan-April.

The longer I hunt, the more I believe that you really can dial in on a buck in February, then go back in there 8 months later and get in the action. One and done.

I am counting the days to October, '09.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran im hoping my college scedule is a lot like this year, and my personal scedule is a lot more clear than this year, next year. Then I know that I would be able to make it down there for a weekend.

Took down all my stands today, and what do you know, pull the 4 wheeler into the woods then I see a small 4 pt, a doe, then an out and out smasher! 20 inches inside and 8-9in tines. Atleast an8 maybe a ten. Im only hoping that he will make it till next year, no clue where he came from, but if hes there now theres a good chance that this is his range. I can only hope! Me and my buddy back tracked to his bedding area so we will be in there looking for sheds in a month or so. Id kiss your ass is he wont go over 140 next year![8D]
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story Marty! Keep at it!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck tag carries over to next year so I'm not sweating getting 1 but there's a 10 point out there that's topping 150" so I have to try. Jason has 2 cameras out they are close to his house so he can hunt those stans when he gets home from work. There is 2 good bucks that come in almost everynight. The 9 point that busted me early in the season and a small 8,he only wants the 9. Give me a call whenever you get time I'll be around.

Al it would be cool if you made it to Ohio next year it's a blast. I'll be sure to kidnap Mike on the way.

Marty I'm pulling for you. Good luck on getting that buck.

Dan Haven't heard much what's new?

AD How's it going with you.

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Danno - good luck with that buck tag. If you don't fill it, it carries over, right? Are you and Jason still running trail cams up at your cabin? Any bucks make it through? I'll give you a call one night in the next week or so.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.