Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Hell Danno, I think you're nuts if you'd pass up any one of those deer. If I had to pick one, I like #3, b/c he's got some unique brow tines.

Al, they're yours buddy. I'll PM you tomorrow and confirm the address.

New deer video from last night's spotting run: http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php/photo/5407/limit/recent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdPGf6Fask
Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I would let the air out of number 2 as well. I'm not a great judge of deer age but he looks a little young to me. Still, if that pile of bone was to come into my range, I'd let one fly!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran- I like the buck in your video. # 3 is only going to score about 115 while 1 & 2 are going to hit the 130 mark and # 5 is in the 120 range # 4 is in the around 120. So you would take the smallest buck? I'm confussed.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda like #2 as well but they are all nice deer!!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran that one buck is a smasher man! (Or at least by NY standards) These all huntable bucks??
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

I will be hunting whitetails for now. The mulie spot that I have is 45 miles from my house so it makes it hard to go up there and do a good job of hunting it. I am going to try and scoot up there the first week of November since I will be on vacation. 30 minutes after the rifle season closed last year I saw the biggest deer that I have ever seen on our land just laying in the mowed grass by the mailbox! He should be a dandy this year so I hope to get a poke at him before rest of the family shows up for rifle season. I am the worlds worst judge of deer score but I would say that he was probably in the neighberhood of 120. Just a 4x4 last year but the tines were extremely long.

Leased hunting land is a huge deal here. The doctor that my wife went to when she was pregnant with our first daughter leased a piece of land on the Platte River that was something like 100 acres and paid $5000 for archery deer season only. This is getting more and more popular and making it harder for the normal guy to get a place to hunt that produces big deer.

Well I got both of my stands up tonight. The rain finally let up and made for a pretty nice night. It is supposed to be 39 degrees here tonight and if that doesn't get you thinking about sitting in the tree stand, nothing will!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A big congrats to you Fran. That's great news for ya.

I apologize for my recent lack of involvement.. was out of town with JZ for bachelor party part 1... and it was a grand ole' time...

Lots of naked ladies.. adult beverages.. and all nestled in between 5 hours of paintball. Good times.. good times.

It will take me a few days to recover from this one.. real sore legs right now and still am dehydrated as haitis. Good times.

For those of you scoring at home.. well I'm hunting Wisc. this year and my season opens on Saturday. Couldn't help it.. being up north this past cool weekend just did me in. I'm not ready for it really.. but I'll put the work in the remainder of the week til I am.

Saturday I'll likely be hunting.. but don't get your hopes up just yet.. I gotta take a doe first to earn the tag. And I'm doing it all on public.

I'll likely only hunt Wisc. for the first 3 or 4 weeks.. but I always liked pressure.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wanted to run this scenario past you guys to get your thoughts……

The landowner down state was nice enough to offer up an old camper he has sitting just down the road. Sounds like the camper hasn’t been used for a few years, doesn’t have electricity, plumbing etc. but does have a bed so it would be a place to crash and I wouldn’t have the expense of a hotel every night.

I have roughed it many times out camping in the mountains in pretty crazy conditions, so in many ways this would be a cake walk - guess my main concern would be scent… Like most archery hunters I usually have a good scent ‘routine’, taking a shower before I got hunting in scent free soap etc. etc. I have never really went days between showers while out whitetail hunting….

Hotels down there seem to be pretty reasonable (in the 50-60 range), but that’s still several hundred dollars over the course of a week. What do you guys think? Maybe just crash there a couple of nights here and there or what?? What would you guys do?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Edit: stars indicate the "Army" term for a sponge bath; a "prostitute" bath.
I would expect that if you hang your clothes outside and take a "whore" bath in the sink or a washtub, and then spray yourself liberally with scent killer before you get dressed you will be pretty close to what your regular routine gets. If anything it would get youMORE tuned into the wind, which is better than any scent killer.

I've never hunted deer from a camp, but I spent 15 years in the Army and during one 9 month stretch of deployment the "whore" bath was all we had for most of it. I'm here to tell you that it isn't as refreshing as a shower, but you can definitely tell you knocked the stink off yourself. I'm also a cheap bastich, and if I can save a few hundred, I most definitely would.

:::::Scouting report:::::

My neighbor and hunting buddy, retired and watches our hunting grounds religiously noted a doe/yearling group of 7 feeding on acorns right past 3 of our stands yesterday. Later that afternoon a pair of young bucks came through the area feeding as well. They were a young pair, but he noted one of them had a rack bigger than my deer last year (I know you're thinking, they can get SMALLER???) So I have a scoreable buck on radar now, the first we've noticed in the area this year. I'm certain there will be more, but in our area, there is no QDM so if we don't smoke him he will get smoked when MZ season opens.

My plan is to try to pattern them for the first few weeks and see if they are "scouts" for a more mature buck. My first kill will likely be a doe, I'm out of jerky and the backstraps are a-callin my name [8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike glad to hear your hunting the fine state of WI. The invitation still here. What the hell is up with all the bachlor parties in September. Doen't anybody get married in summer anymore.

Jason Talk to the hotel most of the time they will let you take a shower for a couple of bucks. I did that before I built the cabin. As long as I left the room clean all was good.

Daniel glad your set for the season I hope you get a poke at that big 1.

Marty sounds good and now you have me craving jerky.

I'm chomping at the bit here. It feels like fall they have frost warnings out for up north. I got in my truck this morning and it was 49 degrees. As Sponge Bob would say I'm ready.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.