Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

ORIGINAL: mcouey

Daniel, it's a pleasure to have you on the team. My name is Marty, I live in Southern Middle Tennessee near the Alabama State line. I own 14 acres, and have permission to hunt on another 400 acres most of it located adjacent to my property. I think I bagged the smallest buck for any HNI contest ever last year, but as far as I'm concerned he was my favorite. I fooled him, and killed him with a freakin STICK! I don't care how small the deer is, that is full of WIN!
Marty - you came through HUGE in the clutch last year, late. Matter of fact, I think it was your deer that put us over the top. Up for it again, buddy? We're gonna need every one of you.

Our seasons began on 1/1/08. 4 months from now, we will show the world that 2007 was no fluke.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quik,
You get all yourmaterial from pep-talks-r-us.com?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

This is the land that I am hunting. It's the same as last year, difference is that instead of pasture in one field there is Corn. Lots of farmers are beginning to harvest corn now, if this field is harvested before the season starts do you think the stands (red x's) near there will be productive? Last year I had plenty of opportunity to whack nannys there, but no bucks. I killed my buck last year at the northernmost stand. Although I have encountered them at every stand around those fields.

Forgot to add that the areas in Yellow are where I have permission to hunt, the area lined in Red is my property.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good Marty. And don't think we didn't appreciate your buck last year.. it was a trophy to me if it was a trophy to you.

Congrats again.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Oh I consider him a trophy for sure.

I will never forget how bad I fooled him, and coaxed him in nice and close. I only started bow hunting three years ago, so having to actually get close to a suspicious, and well hunted by the late season, buck was a challenge that gave me tremendous satisfaction with that success.

I'm trying to find a better place in West Tennessee, I can hunt about 200 acres there now, but it's really pressured and doesn't have the quality deer that exist just 50 miles more west.

Did I ever mention to you guys how good that jerky from "baby buck" (my wife named him) tasted? Man! It was good! Can't wait for September 27th!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al that's a heart breaker of a bear hunt.
Mike how's your spots coming along?
Jason does it look like a killer spot in IOWA?
Marty looks like a great spot I hope those beans don't get picked b/4 opener.
Daniel I think we need more info on you buddy. Got some pics?

Here is the link to the animal video from glacier.Sorry some of the footage I was shaking like a ***** at a weinee roast. It was cold and windy on a couple of days. Well enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owrAL4twqq4
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your setup looks great Marty! I know I really appreciated your buck from last year!! Without it, we wouldn't have won

Trip to IA was good. Initially thought I was going to be able to scout every nook and crany - but it was really hilly and SUPER thick.... Just nasty stuff really, so I did the best I could with the time I had. Certinaly shed some blood, that's for sure - I'm still healing up. Keeping my fingers crossed, can't wait to get down there in Nov. and give it a shot!!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gentlemen (and Dan) - Here's the latest quiksilver scouting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMMFvhMpt0

Better Copy: http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php/photo/5370/limit/recent

Note the big boy already pissing down his legs at the :50 second mark. I thought that was interesting.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice lookin stuff there Marty! Remember every little bit helps!

Dan i would give my first born to get some of those encounters that you had! looks like an awesome time!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran Great footage. It looks like he's telling everyone it's his neighborhood.I can be a gentleman, when I have to.

Al no need to give up your first born just save some money and make the trip. But get into shape the sheep video is about 4 miles up from the trail head.

I got 2 weeks until opening day, I got 3 more stands to hang and about a 1/2 an acre to plant.This weekend is do or die.I feel the need to sit around the campfire and get drunk. Big list of weekend duties.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.