Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 11-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Next week I am going back onto the land that I shot the big buck on earlier this year. My hunting partner got permission for us to hunt for two days. This should give me the best chance of filling the buck tag so I am excited to get back onto that land. Just maybe 1000 is not out of the question!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

Mike - so if you shoot a doe this year, could you in theory wait until next year to get your buck tag? Or how do they do that?
Yup.. if I take a doe this season.. I will earn my buck tag and it will carry over til next season.

Which would be awesome! Then I'd have 3 buck tags burning a hole in my pocket (next season) and I could put forth the effort to take a solid buck in September on some public ground before coming back to my home state.

Cause to be honest.. I don't put much effort into my doe hunting ever.

Dan the man.. I might try to take you up on that. We'll have to talk and see how the remainder of this season plays out. But I'd love too possibly come hunt with you. Thanks for the offer.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went through the memory card last Thursday night. I found an interesting picture and I thought my neighbor was holding out on me. After I told him what was on the card he called his buddy who checked the card when we were in Ohio. He forgot to tell us. He's a small buck and I hope he makes it through to next season because he is going to be good.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dan, if that buck makes it through - he's gonna be really impressive next fall. Keep your cameras rollin', buddy.

Well Gents . .. I'm packed and ready for deer camp. I'm taking all my yote calling gear and hell bent on hammering another one of those filthy mongrels. I'll consider shooting a doe - especially if I cut into a bloodtrail. I'll dog 'em down and finish what somebody else started.

My bud sent me a better pic of my Ohio buck today. Not a huge deer by any stretch of the imagination, but he really made my season. I measured him at 115. He's all main beam. Inside spread didn't even hit 13". With the exception of one big 4x4, he was the nicest buck I'd seen from the stand all season. Nice deer, just not genetically programmed to score very well.

I got both of my european mounts finished and painted - and they came out GREAT! I'll snap a few pics and post them for you guys to check out. I'm always really proud of my euromounts. LOL Nobody else ever seems to give a damn, but I think they're great.

I'll also snap a few pics at deer camp for your enjoyment. Supposedly there's over 12" of snowpack. I can't wait to get out in it and start racking up some mileage.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck down there Fran! Have fun trudging through that snow, theres about 2 feet now here at my place and its not showing signs of stopping, its really starting to kick my butt.

Gun season comes to an end next sunday then we have a 9 day bow/muzl, season. Ive still got 2 doe tags burning a hole in my pocket so if the opportunity arises i'd like to try to whack a doe or two with they recurve, that would really cap off an awesome season. Plus then id get to make some more jerky!

Keep up the good work boys, its been a hell of a season, lets put down a few more!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a differance a week makes, the corn came out last Friday and between Monday night Friday morning there was 5 differant shooter bucks on film. 4 of them I have pics of from August andone new one. I hunt Friday and Saturday and saw 4 bucks and 2 does. I had that 9 point come in that busted me in October but I thought I would let him go another year. My neighbor likes him so I'll let him get a crack at him. I just didn't want to mount him. That's him below

Fran I hope you have a good time at camp.

DanII good luck to you I hope you get on a good 1.

Marty any luck?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted hard in West Tennessee this weekend. Saw some real good sign, but the only buck that came by was a 4in spike. I let him walk.

I still have a late Archery Only season coming in Mid-December, plus I have yet to hunt the local WMA archery only area. I'm aiming for that this weekend. I just hope I get some free time, before dark, this week to scout it out better. I'm certain there's some good deer hiding out in that WMA, and there's very little pressure in it this time of year, but the pumpkins have it absolutely surrounded. It's only 400 or so acres.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Marty! I would think that any bow only area could be good with gun season underway...

Anyone ever hunt any feral hogs? Looks like it would be a blast.....
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is like clinching a playoff spot with 6 weeks left in the season....CONGRATS on the repeat, we tried, but came up well short. But there is no shame in coming in 2nd place behind back to back champs, so I hope we can at least hold on to that spot.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

This is like clinching a playoff spot with 6 weeks left in the season....CONGRATS on the repeat, we tried, but came up well short. But there is no shame in coming in 2nd place behind back to back champs, so I hope we can at least hold on to that spot.
Its still far from over, but thanks for our recognition!

Jason, feral hogs looks like it would be a blast. I would figure them to be like shooting overgrown woodchucks, but edible Lol. I wish I had some around here for sure.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.