Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Hey guys...

Just got back from Kansas and thought I'd drop in and let you know how I made out...Here are some pics, I'll stop back a little later with the score and maybe a short story.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here I was.. just about to show off my second buck of the 08' season.. when Tim shows off his brute!

Congrats Tim on another great whitetail! Awesome! GREAT whitetail!

and here's my second buck of the 08' season..

Dark Horses are looking good again. WOW!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Spike

Mike- Thats another great buck for you.....Congrats

Jason- Congrats on that Iowa bruiser
Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim, Mike great job fellas! Those are some damn nice bucks!

Congrats to Fran too.

Been shotgunnin the last few days, I usually bow hunt until I fill my tag, so since I filled the bow tag early, I busted out the boom boom and had some fun with the boys. No shots for me but one of my good friends put this guy down tonight...

BTW, classic orange, back of the pick up pick, thats how we do it in NY!![8D]

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome bucks guys! Tim, Mike, Al's buddy

Mike - That was a really solid looking 5x5. Kudos to you, bro. What I wanna know is - how YOU got to be the shooter?! [:-] What kind of friend already has a buck down, then demands to be in the hot seat while is buddy (who hasn't had an opportunity to shoot one yet) gets stuck filming?! Some friend you are... LOL j/k Congrats guys. Link me the video if you can. I couldnt find it.

Tim - I can't WAIT to hear the story behind your deer. What a hammer.

Game over for me in Ohio.

Yesterday, the woods were exploding with a cold front and low pressure trough slipping in. They were kinda sluggish for the past few days with the heat and stormy weather - so I guess yesterday was the perfect storm.

Gorgeous day to bowhunt the rut: overcast, wet, snowy

I tried a new stand site that I'd pegged in shed season, focusing on a narrow swath of rosebushes and greenbriars that benches around a ridge. Steep place, can't see very well, hard to access, but a good area to catch bucks cruising the thicket for a doe. Due to the geographics, I figured I could pick off a good deer as he came through the strip.

It didn't take long.

8:05 - a deer that looked to be pretty decent was cruising through. It was far, thick, steep downhill - I almost passed the shot, but I got a better look and noticed what looked like some crazy looking beams.

Another snap decision, I pulled the bow off the hook - and when he hit the only clearing I had, I let out a really loud bleat. One more step, and I wouldn't get to shoot.

He froze and turned to look.Long downhill shot, with a fair amount of clutter. 30+. Making matters worse, I was a mile high in a poplar tree. Without deliberation, I settled the pin on the vitals, took my time and clinked the trigger.

Dead silence...

Thump.

Gone. Straight down over the bank, and vanished into the thicket like a thief in the night.

No idea where I hit. On top of that, I never really got a great look at the rack, so I didn't even know what he looked like. I just knew I saw long main beams andnot manypoints. I replayed the scenario at least 100x in my mind.

So I waited. And waited... Ugh.

Then the snow picked up. My bloodtrail was being washed away and covered upby the minute. I wanted to give him until noon, but there would be no blood left by then. It was snowing like hell. The snow wasn't piling up on the ground, but it was melting all over the rain-soaked leaves. Slushing and oozing my bloodtrail away, by the minute.

When I realized that I could wait no longer, I got down to scope out my arrow. It was already washed clean. Just a pink tint of watered-down blood on the crest. A tuft of hair marked the hit.

The blood was almost nil, and impossible to find in the soaking wet floor, but I was able to follow. Lucky for me, I didn't have to go too far to hit the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. He was piled up within 30 yards.

Perfect double-lunger.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Conrat's 16 point nice looking buck

Mike that's a great second buck. By the way maybe some day you could scout my new hunting grounds with me???

Al that's a really nice buck your buddy shot.

Fran Good job on the Ohio Buck. Rough Score?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a GREAT buck Tim! Awesome work!!! Can't wait to hear the details!

Fran and Mike - sweet work laying down the hammer on your second great bucks of the season!!

Marty, Daniel, AD - keep at it! It's only a matter of time before a buck walks by....
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike that's a great second buck. By the way maybe some day you could scout my new hunting grounds with me???
Absolutely. Love to meet you and talk whitetails for a day with anybody really.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coo,Let the gun season get passed and we can head out for a little late season action.
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Absolutely. Love to meet you and talk whitetails for a day with anybody really.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Danno, when is your gun season? U have any tags left for that?

Ours is the Monday after Thxgiving. I have no more buck tags, but I did pick up a doe license. I'll pack my gun and drive deer for the guys at camp - shoot a yote if I see it.

Marty, Daniel, AD: Keep your noses on the grindstone. We're 7/10 of the way to cleaning it out 10-for-10. The big buck action is really picking up with these dipping temps. Stay hot on 'em boys.

Al: You don't have any dermestid beetles, do ya?

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.