Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Community

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

ORIGINAL: 16 point

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I'm a fanatic about scent control.. but during this season I've been a little behind with it.
Mike- Sorry to hear about your misfortune with that 160. Going 3 years without being busted by a buck is quite an accomplishment. I too, try to take extreme precautions when it comes to scent control but sometimes I will get winded by non targeted bucks that I let pass.

Would you care to share some of your secrets for scent control and what did you leave out that got you busted by the 160?

Also, Congrats on that great swamp buck......
Sure Tim.

Nothing really secret about them though.. just alot of preparation and some elbow grease.

1.) I take chlorophyl pills all season long. The medical industry uses them to help reduce odor.. so its good enough for me.

2.) I shower before every sit with no scent shampoo.. body wash.. and deodorant.

3.) No cologne is used by me throughout the entire season regardless of whether I hunt or not.

4.) Keeping my face well manicured and shaven. Bacteria builds quickly as hair folicles exit skin.. I keep them shaved better in fall then in any other time of year. Hair on head very short as well.

5.) Rubber boots. And I buy a new pair every other year. I don't want a hunt ruined just because of 100 bucks. And I use No-odor and baking powder in them at night regularly to help eliminate odors.

6.) I use scent-lok and scent-blocker products and use them correctly. Dressing in field.. two layers at least.. etc.

7.) I use the HS fresh earth wafer in my bow case all year round. My bow smells like the woods so much.. that when I get in my vehicle it reeks like earth even when the case is closed.

8.) Because my safety harness has an odor to it that I can smell I also use an earth scent wafer on it as well. I put it on just before entering the field.

9.)I believe in using natural odors in nearly every hunt. EX.. if I am hunting next to a walnut tree I'll take the walnut into stand with me that I find on the ground and rub a few spots of the tree I am in. The shell surrounding the walnuts stink.. but the deer are very used to it.

10.)I chew gumoflage. I know most think this stuffs a joke. But I truly believe this stuff helps eliminate odors from my mouth. And.. its kinda nice to chew something while in stand.

11.) I hunt the correct winds.. and pay close attention to thermals. I own a small HVAC company and am very familiar with the laws of thermals.. negative and positive pressure.. heating of air ETC.. so I understand this stuff pretty well.

There is a few more minor details but you get the idea.

Honestly Tim.. I couldn't name one thing. I messed up on a bunch. Just got lazy and arrogant.. tried to get away with it.

The biggest factor was probably my boots. Alot of scent will come from a mans boots.[&o] And I didn't take care of them once before that date.. I took it for granted. Camo too.

When I think about that buck.. it sickens me so. Heck.. I shouldv'e just taken the 140. [X(][&o][&o]

Any tricks you can share with me Tim?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing good yet this weekend for me...my buddy came home to hunt with me this weekend, and I put him up in one of my good stands, and he scored!

No monster by any means, not even a shooter in my book. But it was his first, so i told him to swing away. Full story here...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3125895
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you guys have been hard at it.I have been hooked up like
a sled dog for the past month with work.But i have good news my
vacation just started and i shot a nice 10 yesterday!
Will have pics in a day or 2.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BlueRanger1
But i have good news my
Awesome!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

I got busted this weeked to (first time in a while) - so don't feel bad Mike Course mine was just a couple of does....

Wind was suppose to be out of the SSW - but it was pretty still and was coming in the from East actually.... Dammit

Had 5 does, a group of 2 then 3. I called both both groups in with a grunt call believe it or not. That pair that busted me was pretty cool actually how it went down. I hit the grunt call hard. They actally were a couple of hundred yards on the other side of the river - cool to see them cross, come out of the water and shake off like a dog then just RUN right into me. They stopped at just under 30 yards. I was going to shoot one of them, but that's whenI got busted... [:@]

Wasn't sure about the whole early rut prediction thing this year (with the late rut/harvest moon) - but I have to say I starting to buy into it a bit. I've seen a lot of does this year and not ONE buck (even a small one) with them.... They were chasing and seeking last year around this time....
Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Dave. I can't wait to see the pics. Congrat's

I went to a birthday party last night. It was some family thing ,so I get to talking to these guy's. It seems I can hunt in herd contol area. I need to earn a buck but the tages are free. Bag limits are 4 deer a day. Of course nobody sees 4 a day.So my hunting season just opened back up again. I have 80 acres of private land to hunt. all woods backed upt to goverment land which is closed to hunting.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats David! Can't wait to see the pics!

Well done gents.. I can feel another victory and its not even November yet!

We still have some real great hunters out there.. between Jason, Fran, Dan2, Al, Marty, and Tim we got this thing. Let's roll!
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Here he is

Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck Dave! That's a GREAT buck! Congrats!

Jason - keep your nose on the grindstone bro.

16 - any action in PA?

This weekend was a bust for me, but I'm 100% certain that an opportunity at redemption is coming soon. As a lot of y'all know, I went hunting on Saturday- drove 2 hours to my area - and realized when I got there that I forgot my bow (at home). [:@] That little faux pas, on top of the bad hit last week, really made me feel like the deer gods were working against me.

So, I made chicken salad out of chicken $*@#. Scouted all day Saturday, and finally blazed a trail into an isolated ridge top that I located in March. The place is definitely one of the best looking bottlenecks I've ever seen . . . Absolutely loaded with scrapes and a few hammer rubs.

I made a bit of a mess of the place yesterday, cutting my trail in, clearing out a tree to hunt from (thick as pea soup, very few climbable trees). I trimmed a few lanes and gave myself some openings for the rut. I have the utmost in confidence in this site. This place is absolutely on fire right now. (above the swamp, Danno)

Today, I struck while the iron was hot, but came up empty. There were deer in there freshening up their scrapes between when I left yesterday and this a.m. So I must not have stunk up the place too bad.I was a little nervous about hunting there, with the residual scent from yesterday, but I wound up seeing 2 yearling bucks, 2 does in 4 hours.

A couple pics:

I wasn't going to be able to hunt again until next Saturday, but I got a call from the firm today, advising that the document systems are down until noon tomorrow, so I'm going local for a couple hours. Heading into an old faithful area, so hopefully I can get a break.

The Dark Horses are going to repeat. Mark it down.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave that is a great deer. What's the story? IL or AR? Score

Fran good to hear you got a trail up through that crap. I think you will be the only 1 there. We triied getting up there and it sucked. I think next weekend you will make a full recovery JUST DON"T FORGET THE BOW.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You rock Dave! Thats one heck of a buck!

Fran- good to hear your all straightned around bud, you got some karma commin your way...

Jason- keep at it, we need more bone!

Everyone else- keep it real!

As for me, I took this morning off to help my pops out with a few things and re-charge the batteries. We started off at the coffee shop where i over heard one of his buddies talking about the big buck that comes out in the fieldbehind his house every morning. So me, being the gentleman that I am, offer to get rid of this pesky vermin, and since ive known this guy about all my life, he tells me to have at it. He owns a whopping 15 acres of woods, and the about 100 acres of field, that is planted corn this year, uncut right now. The woods is 6 acres apple orchard, 2 acre swamp with standing water, and the rest anew growth hardwoods. And, you guessed it, its all just absolutly tore up with sign. Rubs, humongo tracks, and scrapes galore. This is about 1.5 miles from where I took the vid of that smasher 9pt, but I highly doubt that its this buck in there. If it is, i'll crap.

So this afternoon I went in there to scout, I pretty much trampled all over power scouting but it really had to be done, so I could get the full feel of this place. I wouldnt have went right in there, if I hadnt known that it was gonna rain like it was, but I knew whatever I left behind would soon be washed away with the rain. Im pumped, i'll be in there when I get a good wind.

On a crappy note, my buddy that shot that buck yesterday lost his grandpa to cancer early this morning. Talk about going from on top of the world, down to the trenches. I'll loose a day of hunting or two this week, but hunting takes a back seat to this. It really sucks, but thats the harsh reality of life I suppose. Atleasthis grandpagot to see his grandsons first bow buck, im sure he died a happy man.

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.