Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Man did you hit that nail square on the head.

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
You guys that aren't married yet . . . you'll soon come to learn that there's a distinct measure of politics that goes into keeping the woman mildly satisfied, and keeping your hunting dreams alive. I use the words "mildly satisfied" because, unlike men,they will never be "happy." It's just not in their genetic makeup.
I worked everything out I will be in the stand Friday by 3:30 if everything stays the same. I love how my wife is trying to plan hunting weekends.
Kim-If we leave early Friday we can come home Sunday afternoon.
ME- who are you riding up with.
Kim- when do you want to come back
ME- Sunday night.
Kim- but we got back so late and I was so tired on Monday.
ME- Welcome to hunting.

Night is the best time to hunt by me so I do everything in my power to stay there.SO if I nail 1 Sunday night It has to be my best shot so I We can get home for our daughter. Back when it was just me and I shot 1 on Sunday night I could just stay up there until I needed.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

ME- who are you riding up with.
LMAO! Dan, you crack me up man. Good stuff. I can totally relate. Sometimes, all you want to do is escape . . . and there is no escape.

Last night, Kelly went to bed early, and WVU was getting their asses handed to them, so I figured I'd just crank-up the game on the radio and go for a spotting ride. Lots of traffic last night, and a few other spotters were out. I videoed two runt bucks pushing and shoving. Saw nothing bigger than an 80" 1.5. Slow night. The bigger bucks are getting spotlighted heavily right now, really getting light-shy. I expect a sharp lull in my sightings until late October.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it's off to the great outdoors. I'll let you guy's know what happens. I have a good feeling about today I don't know why. It's going to be like 80 degrees.Until next time have a good weekend.

Fran do your wife a favor stay away from the bumper cars.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry I haven't checked infor a while, work has been brutal. I had everything ready to go for the opening weekend and then we got a wind out of the west so both of my stands would not work. We NEVER get a west wind here so this was completely out of the ordinary.

Still shooting the new bow and got the Slick Tricks shooting right with my field points. Looks like I will get some hunting in this weekend on Sunday or Tuesday.

I put out some of that mineral powder on the ground and I have a ton of traffic all along our creek but I don't have a trail cam so I am not sure if there are any bucks. Scouting has been a little slow, I have seen a few does and fawns. I got a quick glimse of a big deer last night near one of my stands but could not see if it had antlers.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That’s funny stuff guys!

I myself have run into a fair amount of resistance over the years. But your right Fran, you have to pick your battles. A little bit of attention goes a long ways. I also try to avoid making comments that can come back and haunt, giving the wife future ammunition… I told the wife one time “that sometimes you have to do things that you don’t want to do” – don’t even remember how that comment related to hunting at the moment. – but if I had a dime for every time that phrase has been recited BACK to me, I’d be a millionaire!

Not to long after we got married she was giving me a really hard time about hunting. So I took the opportunity to drive home the fact that hunting is here to stay… I hunted for 30+ days straight - there were days that I didn’t even really want to go out, but I sucked it up, just to prove a point – LOL

Now, she doesn’t seem to complain much about hunting time as long as I show her some attention as well. I would describe that 30+fall of hunting as the ‘turning point’ with regards to hunting and its place in the falls hierarchy of activities.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome stuff guys!

I'll be hittin the woods tomorrow to put out trail cams and hang a couple stants. I'll take some pics of good sign if i see any.

Good luck to the guys hunting, and the guys dealing with their wives![8D]

Peace!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any luck this weekend Danny? I got your text that you saw a small 8, but that was the last I heard.

Mike, have you been out much lately? Are you hunting with Tony, or just doing some local stuff around home?

Daniel, good luck man. Hope you get the wind you need soon.

This weekend was a huge bust for me. I was in a wedding, and it soaked up the entire weekend. Last night, I could've made it out for a while, but I paid-it-forward and took Kelly to dinner. She sniffed-out my ulterior motive of buying more hunting time, but I'm clear for the next two weekends.

I've got a lot of potential stand sites for the Ohio openerthis weekend, but my hot acorn stands from last year aren't producing mast this year. So, I anticipate flying by the seat of my pants for the first 2-3 weeks, until theactivity through my rut funnelsstarts to ramp up. I have my eye on a few areas where there might be some mast - oaks that weren't fruit-bearing in fall '07.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Tonight I finally get to start the season! Hoping to head out about 2:30 this afternoon. The trail that passes by my stand looks like a highway so hopefully some huge drop tine buck comes strolling by! I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Daniel Good luck make us proad.

Fran it was a slow weekend a total of 4 deer. I think I know why. Saturday moring I saw a wolf, he was about 25 yards away. Then Saturday night I saw a wild dog trolling the woods. Those 2 running my deer off. There hitting the cranberry's and the 2 food plots I put in September. It's all night action.

WWe had a new buck show up Wednesday I would really have to talk myself out of shooting him. I'll post the pic later. Rough day at work.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok got a couple of Minutes

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.