Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13) >

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 13 Thread (Returning Champs) The Dark Horses.

Al - I have an addy on you: P.O. Box 403 - is that right? I'll mail out those broadheads as soon as I can figure out some kind of packaging system that won't cause the postman to lop his arm off. Nobody wants a one-armed postman.

Oh, and no. Those deer aren't huntable. Well, they may be. I've never hunted that area before, or asked permission. Just out testing a few new areas, seeing what type of buck quality is out there. I usually have pretty good luck with getting permission, so I could probably wiggle myself in somewhere in the area if I made a good go at it.

Jason - we used to do the spongebaths at my camp.We do have a shower stall, but allwe have is gravity-fed water with no hot water tank. We upgraded to the shower bags, and just heat pots of water on the stove. You will have no stove, but presumably it will be fairly warm inside the camper, so you could just fill the bags in a stream, then let them sit all day inside the camper to "warm up." It will still be chilly, but better than nothing. The downside with these things is that you need a place to hang them. It might be easier just to spongebath in a plastic keg bucket or something.

Cheap solution, if you don't mind a little cold water

Marty - sounds like you're doing your homework, buddy. I really like your odds this fall. I feel your pain man, b/c for years around here (before antler restrictions), shooting big deer in PA was a fruitless exercise. You know what's realistic for your woods.

Mike - You boys must've had a great weekend. If it's possible, even your post sounded hung over. LMAO Nothing like coming home and still smelling like a brewery 2 days later, and stinking of exotic dancer.

Daniel - when does your season open? Hey man, not to put the cart ahead of the horse or anything, but make sure you read the rules for posting pics/score of your deer. I'm 100% sure you're gonna fill your tag. Just make sure you meet the requirements for taking the score photo. Deer/hunter/bow all in picture.

Danno - 4 days to go, buddy. I wish my season was that close!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup that is correct Fran, and no how would a one arm post man be able to drive and hand mail at the same time??

I dont think that i have ever been turned down when asking for permission to hunt. Must be my irresistable charm.

4 Days Dan!?!?! Man thats awesome, i still got like 5 1/2 weeks. Put one down early then all you'll have to worry about is where to get the booze from!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some great ideas guys.

Think I'm going to try and rough it as much as possible just to save the extra cashola - I'm sure I can rig up something to clean up everyday...

Another bonus is that I'll bepretty much right next to where I'll be hunting - so I'll be wasting less gas and will get an extra 30 mins of sleep everyday...

Great reminder for all of us Fran! Need to make sure our pictures are 'legal' for the contest (must contain us, bow and animal)...

Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Daniel - when does your season open? Hey man, not to put the cart ahead of the horse or anything, but make sure you read the rules for posting pics/score of your deer. I'm 100% sure you're gonna fill your tag. Just make sure you meet the requirements for taking the score photo. Deer/hunter/bow all in picture.

Thanks for looking out for me. I don't know how to post pics but I am sure I can figure it out. I did read the post that said that the deer, me, and my bow must be in the pic so I will make sure I do that. If it is dark when I find that deer, can I take the pic at home under the yard light or does it have to be taken out in the woods?

My season opens September 15th.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

You can take the pic anywhere from the woods to your living room floor as long as it is the whole animal, ie not just the cape.

There's usually a thread in the main bowhunting forum about how to take great pictures, I think the main jist of it is to kinda clean the blood off the animal and some tips on poses.

My 4 year old took my pic last year under my carport. I think I broke every rule in the "How to take great pictures" thread! HA!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last night, Kelly and I were out to dinner. When we got home, I was walking in the house and caught a stiff whiff of fall. At that moment, hunting season became a whole lot more interesting.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I was walking in the house and caught a stiff whiff of fall
I've been thinking the same thing the last week or so. Weather has been a lot cooler than average for us...

Just got a call that my WC bowstring came in. So I need to drop my bow off to have it put on. Can't wait!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran don't you just love that smell? I smelled it on Monday. I can tell hunting season is upon me without looking at the calendar. My mom was supposed to watch my daughter but her sister past on Tuesday so the funeral is on Friday so she can't watch her. My wife said she would just stay home but if I shoot 1 and she's not there it will be the couch for me. I found a sitter and I was just going to send flower's to the funeral but my mom started having a fit so now I have to drive 2.5 hours out of the way then drive another 3 hours up North. I haven't seen or heard from my Aunt in 15 + years or any of her kids in 11 years. Oh well just had to vent I guess, Frustration is setting in and there's only 1 cure for it.

To be in the stand Saturday 5:30 am
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks Dan, ive been there....

But hey, atleast your hunting man! Us easterners (me and Fran) will be living vicariously through you for a few weeks yet...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry there Al I just made a mount today for my bowto mount my camera too.I will be taping all of my hunts.

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

That sucks Dan, ive been there....

But hey, atleast your hunting man! Us easterners (me and Fran) will be living vicariously through you for a few weeks yet...

Quick Reply: Official Team The Dark Horses Thread (Returning Champs) (13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.