Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18) >

Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Community

Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team 18 thread

My buddy just sent me this picture about an hour ago. He has one of his old, crappy Moultrie cameras set up about 20 yards from another stand of mine that I've been staying away from all summer. It's down in some choked out dogwoods, alders & pines near the edge of this low-lying swamp. It's about 1000 yards from my plot. I call this this my "morning" stand- whereas my plot is where I sit in the afternoon. Well look what my friend just sent me! This picture was taken at 3:59 Friday afternoon. I count 13- maybe 14 points.

One question though- can anyone explain the "ghosting" effect that appears to be happening with the right side of this deer's rack? I've only owned Cuddeback cameras, so I've never seen this before. Was the deer moving too fast? Moving his head? Is the shutter on the old Moultrie simply too slow? Either way, I almost dropped a brick when I got this picture.

Rob
Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Great looking buck and good luck getting him. I think that the ghosting affect is from a slow shutter and the buck is moving.

Well this morning things were pretty slow. I was in my stand around 05:30(legal hunting is at 06:12). At about 08:00 I saw a racoon. The only deer that I saw was a small four point buck at 09:00. I sat in my stand until 12:30 and then had to leave to be home for my son's birthday party. Hopefully will get out Tuesday afternoon for my first evening hunt.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Graydawg--Helluva buck!! I'd proly sh*t myself if that guy walked under my stand!! Good luck!! I think that "ghost affect" is because the deer was in motion. I get that alot on my digital stealth.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, GrayDawg! What a bruiser!!

Best wishes in getting a chance to let the string fall on that brute!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't you seen the movie The Ring? That buck is already dead and on GreyDawgs wall... the pictures of him will all be like that right up until he sees the "ring".. which will really just be the back end of the nock sticking out of the ground covered in his lung blood.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Haven't you seen the movie The Ring? That buck is already dead and on GreyDawgs wall... the pictures of him will all be like that right up until he sees the "ring".. which will really just be the back end of the nock sticking out of the ground covered in his lung blood.
I vaguely remember the movie........... but I REALLY likethe positive mental visualization exercise you just helped me out with !!

Rob
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

well 2 more weeks of waiting. I will be putting up three new stands tomorrow and checking the new food plot again.(I checked it Wednesday and it was looking pretty good but we could use some more rain to kick it up a notch.

I will pull the trail cam card tomorrow as well.

Still deciding on what broadheads I wanna shoot
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Real slow weekend here in Wisconsin. I hunted a pond setup Friday evening and Saturday morning. I only had two fawns come in on Friday and saw a doe about 200 yards away in the beans Saturday morning. Hopefully temps will drop and the deer will move more during daylight hours.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Well guys I thought I'd check in again. I'm here in Wisconsin so the season in already going here but the deer sure are staying put. I was out all opening weekend. It was rainy on Sat and Sunday and I didn't see a thing. I took Monday and Tuesday off of work and didn't see a thing again on Monday. On Tuesday I got out and waited all day and saw nothing all day so 20 minutes before dark I stood up to stretch and sure enough a medium six pointer walked in 40 yards behind me. I tried calling him in but he didn't want anything to do with that. After dark I repositioned my stand so hopefully I'll get another look at him in the coming weeks.
Also I was chatting with a couple of farmers at work today and asked them if they knew anyone who has land who might let a guy hunt it and one of them said that I could actually hunt his land. He said that he broke his back 10 years ago and hasn't hunted it since. I hope to go check it out today or tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it looks later in the week.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killed 6 geese saturday morning and 10 doves saturday afternoon.

Bow season opens Oct 4th.

I did however, just get permission (more like I was begged) to come and shoot some does in one of the Urban Archery Zones (Richmond, VA, season opened Set 4th and runs through March 28th) off one acre of property (sounds small... when I scouted it... I saw 12 deer... on the acre.... just when I pulled up). The guy cannot grow anything on his place. His neighbors have all had it too...... Swamp Collie to the rescue! After Oct. 4th... I can shoot buck in there too... so we'll see what is around.... but the rule of the road there is.... antlerless deer only during the special season. but it is still hunting none the less!

Quick Reply: Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.