Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18) >

Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Community

Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team 18 thread

Hey guys. I got the email from squireboy this morning and I am officially checking in. Like squireboy, I am from West Virginia. Normally West Virginia doesn't produce very big bucks, EXCEPT in one of the four bow-only counties. These counties have been bow-only for more than 25 years and produce some monster bucks every year. I have a 3600 acre lease in one of those counties (Logan) which I run. Last year we had two 170 inch bucks taken off the lease that will likely be among the top 5-10 bucks taken in all of WV last year.One of those bucks will actually be on the cover of the West Virginia Game and Fish magazine this fall. Already this year I have couple of nice bucks on game cam that I will be after. You can see some video of them here:

http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/madvilledoc/

I can't think of a good team name right now, but I'll give it some thought. Good luck to everyone. Season opens here in WV Oct. 18th.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Hey guys,
Just checking in. Thanks for the email.

I am hunting Indiana only this year. I have some private land but no food plots, unlessyou want to count all the corn and beans surrounding the property... hehe.

I didn't take a buck last year with my bow. I have a couple on the property that are probably around 110".

Good luck this year guys.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

madvilledoc--awesome southern WV bucks!! I hope to get down to McDowell this week and check my cameras.

So far theres no sign of the buck I hunted all year last year. Altho, there are a ton of bucks with p&y potential. Here are just a few of last years pics from the land I hunt:

And by the way, the time and date on the cameras isn't set, so you cant really go by that.

Heres one of the bucksbucks from this year:

And this is the buck that I have hunted for the past couple years. I REALLY want a shot at this deer, I just love the character.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Great bucks squireboy. Nice scenery shots as well. I love the WV mountains. Good luck this season.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Checking in here from PA, been a few years since I been out with the bow, but the trail cam pics are looking good and new private land closer to home makes it look like a good year to come. Time to climb the trees once again two stand are already up more to be up in the next couple weeks.

Jim
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good deer, squireboy!

Any of those would make dandy contest entries! I can tell you from experience in this thing, it's just as much if not more about quantity than it is quality.If eight of us enter something at 100" or more...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a spot nailed down yet. I don't hunt public land... in my part of the world... public land doesn't really exist.

I have plenty of leads and plenty of open invites... but come Monday (tmw... or well now today) I'll be finding out the fine details and price of the lease this year.... it'll either be doable or inpossible. I ain't got 2 Gs sitting in the bank like some folks do.... nor do I have a desire to pay 2 Gs to shoot a deer. The fate of the season hangs in the balance.

I do have a bunch of waterfowl and fishing buddies though. One waterfowl buddy is begging for people to come kill deer out his yard. He shot the small one last year.... 21" inside.... probably worth at least a scout huh?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frankly though, with dove and goose season opening Sept 1st... my mind is in other places... I'm looking forward to bow season as always.. and thankfully waterfowl season pretty much shuts down in October, which is bow month in VA.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do have a bunch of waterfowl and fishing buddies though. One waterfowl buddy is begging for people to come kill deer out his yard. He shot the small one last year.... 21" inside.... probably worth at least a scout huh?
This could be golden... all the waterfowlers I know are so engrossed in digging all their pits and making repairs and everything else they do, that it seems they show no interest in deer --yet, they seem to be around them a lot. I'd say it's worth a scout!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,
Just checking in- I'm a bit reserved heading into the Bow season this year as I separated my shoulder 3 weeks ago & it's taking some time to heal. Our season doen't open until October 13th (7 weeks from today), so I've just shut myself down for the last 3 weeks and will stay shut down for another three as I don't want to take any steps backwards in my rehab.

Now, the good news...... if I can manage to get healthy, my buddy & I have a 150 class 10 pointer and two 130 class 9 pointers running around our area here in MA between our two food plots! Oh yeah- I'm also headed out to Nebraska the first week of November for a Whitetail Bowhunt- so I just may have to hold off submitting my deer for this contest until then!

Here are 2pictures of the 10:

Are we going to pick a team name? I have some ideas- none that I'm married to............ just something that's better than "Team 18" (which shouldn't be tough to beat)

Rob

Quick Reply: Official Team Pass Thru Crew (18)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.