Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40) >

Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Community

Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 40 Thread

Sorry team, I had my chance at a real goodbuck (for once)and I blew it. It won't happen next year if I can get back up there.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Don't beat yourself up about missing early, it happens...especially bow hunting. That "little" 9 pointer seems like a pretty good consolation prize! Sounds like you had an exciting hunt
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

EI...I say seeing all those bucks, getting a shot opportunity of a 150+ buck then taking a nice, respectable buck was a huge success. I'm sure you had a blast. Welcome back and congratulations my friend.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I did have an awesome time. I just hope I'll be able (financially)to get back up there next year. I don't know why I didn't think to video MUCH sooner than I did, with all of the deer I saw last Tuesday.I just got caught up in the excitement!It really was the best deer hunt I've ever been on, despite taking a small buck.
The action started as soon as I got in my stand (in the dark) and nocked an arrow. Even though it was dark I heardfoot stepscoming and could seethe form of a deer. It went to a fresh scrape that I was able to see on my way in, even in the dark.I'm assuming it was a buck. Then after it got light I saw my first deer at about 8:00AM. I turned my head slowly to scan the area and couldn't believe what I saw. It was that 150" 8pt being followed ( 40yrds behind) by about a 140" buck.They were both following a hot doe! I was actually startled when I saw this. I stood, andwaited until they got closer. When the doe stopped so did the big boy. I drew and let loose. Watching my shotmiss low! I was beside myself. I had just misseda shot at the buck I always dreamed of killing.
They weren't really spooked, just looked around and continued walking by me. They got past me and turned to my right, still at basically the same distance. Unbelievably, I was able to nock anotherarrow without being seen. I drew again on the big boy, released,and missed him a second time!![&o] I should have aimed higher than I did with the first shot. DUH! At this point they just kept walking away from me.
From that point on I saw saw a different buck about every 30mins coming from all directions. I still can't quite believe the action that I saw that day. I did manage to video another buck that was out of bow range that I would have shot, had I been given the chance. I think he would have been P&Y material. Here's a pic of him. Again, a still from the video. He was a wide one! I still have my Pa buck tag to fill, so I'll see what I can do about killing my second buck of the year.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a fine buck! and its sound like an awesome hunt great story.
Sorry about the miss on the 150 but it happens maby you will score big on your second buck, Congrats again..terry
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like one heck of a hunting trip to me. Funny how much easier it is to hit paper than deer. You might have not taken the biggest buck in the woods but I sure would be busting at the seams anyway. ATTA BOY!!

Did you like your outfitter?? Hard working and not TOO many guys in camp. It's sure on my wish list.

Well that's gotta be it for our team guys. Anyone who is posting has scored accept for SmokepoleI guess we didn't win the all expense paidhunting trip to Sask...
Old 12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

John, yes I did have a wonderful time in Alberta. Probably the best deer hunt I've ever experienced so far in my life. I saw the two biggest (170"-180")bucks I've ever seen, and got a shot at one (150"+)of them.I'm happy to have gotten another bow kill, but I'm not real happy with the specific buck that I killed. I'm almost certain I would have taken a bigger one if I had let him walk. I still had four fricken days left in my hunt!The rut activity was not to be believed! Non stop, right up until the time (1:15PM)I took that dink.
The bad news is he only scores 102"6/8 for the team. I WILL NOT make this same mistake in the future. I can guarantee you this. Even after these many years of deer hunting, I still find myself maturing/learning as a deer hunter. I still have a Pa buck tag.[:@]
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well boys we moved into the top five...wooohoo, even without Dan's buck, so that'll give us another 126 or so. I know the season's winding down, for any of you all still out there best of luck.

Kel
Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Hey Kelly, the taxi called earlier and my euro is done! I'll pick it up tomorrow and score it El Capitan!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:25 PM

Well boys, I finally got it back and entered! A little bigger than I thought at 133 1/8. Puts us easily in third place. We're only 2 3/8 behind second!

Anyone else hunting or is everyone done?

Quick Reply: Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.