Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25) >

Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Shaft 'Em (25) Thread

Hello from Kansas, the orange army has things hiding around here, not to mention pushed around, My wife lost a brother last week, most of it was spent with her and her family. taking care of our kids, he had been in the hospital for 4 weeks, and had surgery for a cancer, things just went downhill from there. my wife is the youngest of 10, this was the first of her siblings to have passed, he was 57, i guess its kinda been a hard weekaround here.

My daughter still wants to rifle hunt so i imagine thurs, and this weekend will be her only chances to go. Nice deer there siman, i have until dec. 31st to make it happen, i have to say, a nice buck sure would be nice, but man, its been a lot of fun this year, just being in the woods.....believe it or not, i am already planning for next year, a couple of my areas have really shown a better way to hunt them.

several days ago, i had a super nice buck walk out of a creek bed right up to me, i was on the ground and as he neared 20 yards coming into my shooting lane i drew on him, i think my foot must have moved, clothes must have creaked, something, maybe the movement caught his eye, i was just settleing the pin on his shoulder when he jumped and ran away,....nice buck!

There have been some awesome bucks killed around here this year, i have pics of several but i guess i dont feel they are mine to share,
Take Care guys, oh, and in case i should forget, Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your Brother-in-law Zmax. I am also already looking forward to next year. I've been scouting a little bit to see what all survived the rifle hunters and trying to figure out some new areas for next year.

And that chocolate lab would steal my heart if I ever got to hold him. I had one that made it to age 13 before he passed away. He was pretty much like my best friend growing up.

It sounds like either way the season goes, you all will have some great deer next year. I know Zmax said he had some nice ones he passed up and if some of Siman's deer make it to next year, he may have to take a panoramic picture to fit their dang racks in the photo.

Good luck to all of you, and enjoy the rest of the season.
I'll be thinking of you all while your sitting in your stands in the high teens, low 20 degree temps.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry about your loss Zmax.

Im still gunna try and knock one down for the team boys. Im pretty sure we can't catch the Dark Horses, but having fun is what its all about. We may not win this contest, but its been hella fun for me to be a part of team 25. I tried to be the best captian i could for you guys.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss Zmax. That is always a tough thing to go through.

I have not given up hope for myself quite yet with this contest. So far the neighbor's property hasn't been gun hunted, so I am hoping that it wont end up being hunted either! If that is the case, I think I have a real good shot at getting a decent buck before season ends. I find the deer much easier to pattern after gun season is all done and over with. I guess we will just have to see what late December brings. Good luck to everyone else as well!

Caleb, sounds like your biggins might have made it through the season. Good luck with them!

Z, December 31st is a long ways away! Go gettem!

Mitch, this dog is a sweetheart. I just sure hope he stays that way!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Saw 3 unknown deer tonight on the walk out. I put my deer cam on a creek crossing as well and ill prolly check it a couple weeks from now.

95deer on42 hunts,28 does,32 fawns,14 bucks and22 unknown.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

sorry for your loss Zmax
one more week then I'll be out hitting the woods hard.
good luck to everyone
have a safe and happy holiday, here's hoping Santa is good to all of you

don
Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you Don! I'm going to be getting back out in the woods once gun season is all over! Will be mostly hunting during the weekend.

But, today is the big day! My pup gets to come home! I spent almost 2 hours putting in my dog door last night! What a pain that was! I'm leaving work at 2:45 to go and get him. It's been a long time waiting, but I'm excited that it is finally here. I get to pretty much spend all weekend with him!

To Everyone Able: Get your butts out in the woods this weekend, and lets put some bone on the ground! Aim small, miss small! Git-R-Dun!

Brett
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

I thought about getting an antlerless tag for the second gun season, but waited to long. just looked on the DNR site and see all the counties close to me don't have any left. need to get some meat in the freezer soon, guess I'll just have to wait until my stepson gets here from Montana, he's bringing us some antelope and elk yummm yummm

don
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will be going to southern Ohio for the 2md gun season this weekend. Its a real hilly area with lots of underbrush...shouldmakefor an interesting hunt.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Hi guys, thanks for your support, what a great community this is!

Forgot to get pics, myself and a friend went rifle hunting together and we each shot a Doe, got some meat now, we finally got some snow so..........its yote time!

I have some corn out and i have my trail cam set up on it, i'm going to let things settle for a couple more days, then hunt the evenings, sry, guess i'm a baiter, lol
The male in front was quartering away about 150 yards out, the 110 grain caught him in the head, and the female laying behind was running all out going straight away, i had a 150 grain nosler ballistic tip (i reload my own), it caught her in the back of the head,she was 350+ yards, i drove 2 10ths of a mile to pick her up,gun is an Interarms Mark 10.300 win mag with a custom stalk made by my father in-law

Quick Reply: Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.