Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17) >

Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Community

Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Offical Team 17 thread

Wow, no new posts since I left. I hope everyone is hunting and don't have time to post. LOL. But anyway, here's my weekend.

Get to Ohio alittle behind by the time I stopped a few times getting last minute things. So it was around 8:15 when I met my friend. Alittle after 8:35 when we got to his camp. From there we got everything unloaded and everything up and running at the camp. Before we knew it, it was 10pm and my adventure started as we set off to hang the two climbers. We got to his site first, and you would be amazed at how hard it is to get a feel for where your hunting when it's dark and you only have a couple flash lights. But with his preseason scouting he had the tree marked with some ribbon. So I hold the big mag-lite for him as he climbs up and gets his rope tight. He gets a couple gear hooks in and comes back down. He makes an adjustment on the top of his climber and we head back out to other side of the field....must have been forever cause we circled through a small hollar to not bump any deer from the field.

We kinda get turned around looking for a small water hole that was near my stand location but finally I spotted the ribbon marking my tree and of coarse the water hole was under out noses. I get my stand put on the tree and climb up without issue. Hang my ezhanger and two extra gear hooks. I climb back down and we head back to camp. Holy smokes it's 11pm! We lay out our gear for in the morning, set the alarms on the cell phones and finally get some shut eye around 12am. Of coarse it didn't take long for 5am to roll around.

So we roll out of bed and get took off towards our stands. Of coarse I'm kinda hoping on blind luck I can remember how to get back to where I'm going. It was a slow walk, but I did finally make it...probalya 20minute walk but it took me 30 cause I was so intent on finding land marks that could get me there. I get climbed up and settled in, everything ready at 6am.

Just as I can almost see a couple deer pass almost under the stand but don't slow as they kinda just browse and walk on. As I can start to see it looked like a group of does...probaly 5 or 6. After that I go without seeing much till 10am when a fork horn passes by within 15yrds of the stand. So wasn't the best morning, but with the little bit of drizzle/rain it was pretty good. Just grateful to be out in the stand.

The afternoon hunt rolls around and we go back and sit the same stands. Much better with alittle wind and the temps kinda cool but still warm. Overcast day helped to. Deer pretty much passed by the stand all evening after 4:30pm. Several small bucks passed within range, including the same forkhorn from the morning, a couple spikes, and scrappy little 5pt. Two bucks passed out of range including a small 6pt and a pretty decent 8pt. I waited till 20min after dark and climbed down.

My buddy saw a lot of deer as well and took a medium sized doe durning his evening hunt. So that night we had to work the deer up and get it in a cooler. Took some time, but we did a good job.

Then this morning....another drizzly half rain morning. Still pretty cool and comfortable. Got alittle wet though as the rain held around for a couple hours. Saw 6 does, and my buddy the forkhorn. Got down alittle early since I had to take the stand down. Didn't want to leave it out through this week, but will be back up there again this weekend to get a Friday/Saturday/Sunday hunt. Had a great time and it was fun to hang out with my friend and help him with his deer.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like great time! Can't wait to get out this weekend myself! The season is finally here. I had trouble getting to the website friday and today, so that may be why not much activity.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be back in Ohio thursday night to hang the stand...and hit it hard Friday since the temps are calling for mid 60's. Hope to have some early season success.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Ok, I asked my boss if I needed to attend the afternoon session of my meeting with my SVP. The answer was no. I'm good to go at lunch. So I'm hunting this week once or twice and will shoot the first decent buck I see.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

The weather is finally cooling down here in Indiana. It is getting down to the low 40s at night the past couple of nights. I might go some this weekend. I just can't wait till November.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Darn boss. I got dragged into staying the whole fricking meeting. No hunting this week. Looking at next week now.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Will be out tomorrow. Hopefully can get the kinks out this weekend.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

well im headed out the door,, i got a headache an im bout 75 % hungover!!! i was only goin out to have 1! YEAH RIGHT!!!!...i still dont know where im goin... i have 4 stands to choose from....hope everyone else has a great morning...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Well boys, we are on the board. I shot a decent one last nite but after we recovered him he had a little blind shrinkage (hunting from a blind). It was the first time my 6 year old son went deer hunting with me so it all worked out and he had a great time. Currently my brother has the pics on his camera so I will have to wait until I get those to post any pics. Also, the deer is already getting processed and I have to pick up the antlers in the next couple days so I will score it up then. If I had to guess I would say it is in the neighborhood of 130 (10 point).

I will follow up later in the week with pics and story.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

awsome, congrats zs93.... ive been on 10 sits not this year an still not seen anything shootable... have seen something like 39 does an 10 bucks in the 10 sits.. spent 3 hours today puttin up no trespassing signs today.. what a pain in the but an im only have way done! ..

Quick Reply: Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.