Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17) >

Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

so whats everyones main style of huntin.. treestand, ground blind, spot stalk etc..... im mainly treestand 50/50 with climber an loc on... but im tryin something new this year got one of them pop up blinds cant wait to get a shot at a deer from the ground...
Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

100% Climbing Treestand! My wife however hunts from a blind and a ladder stand, and I have set a couple times with her in the blind. A couple keys to the blind...make sure and set it up early...at the very least one week before you plan to hunt it. Make sure you brush it in really well. Definetly don't cover up your shooting windows, but go pretty heavy with the brush. Deer are a lot more spooky around the blind then turkeys.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

man its stinkin warm here for sept. i hope it cools down soon.. i guess i got spoiled cause we had 2 or 3 weeks in august that didnt get above 75!!!!!! an now its sep an close to 90[:'(]...8 more days!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been cool here.....around 70 the last three days....been calling for rain but so far nothing. So that isn't worth a hoot. I got online and made probaly my last order from cabelas for this year. Got some new scent eliminator spray to compliment my scentblocker clothes. I also got a new seat o pants harness so I don't have to fight with my old harness that came with a ladder stand i bought. I guess now the wife gets the old junk harness and I get the new one to use with my climbers. I have never wore a harness for the full season, but this year I'm going to. I have been bowhunting from a climber since I was 15 and never used a harness till I was 23(two years ago). That year and last year I used one on and off, but this year I'm going 100% tie off.

I also ordered some code blue gel, anda couple bow hoist ropes. A new scent blocker beanie to match all the other stuff I got last year. I also got a new pair of hunting socks. Just the small odds and ends basically. I had to spend $150 to get $20 off. LMAO. But anyway...I'm taken care of now and I'm ready for the season. Just got to keep practicing and basically put in the time waiting.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i always wear my harness when im in a loc on but not in my climber,,,, i should but i dont. i feel real safe in my climber.. man all that stuff i bet you coulda saved some money on ebay!1
Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Got some good sign pulled the camera from one of my stand spots and had over 300 pictures of deer from the last 3 days for my opening day spot...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a lot of shopping on ebay and on AT classifieds in the past couple weeks. So I have saved on a lot of stuff, but I had the $20 off coupon and I had $100 in rewards points from family and friends using my rewards card...so it wasn't as much as you think or I would like to let on.

I have always felt safe in my climber, and sleep in it regularly once it gets late in the morning. But I have found myself getting lower and lower over the years. I can remember when I was 16-18 I would hunt almost 30ft no harness and no fear. But last year I was only up to 25ft once, and that was with a harness. Usually I was at 18-20ft. Plus I'm married now and the wife says it's time to get a harness, and I see more and more posts about falls on the forums I regularly visit. So I got a new harness and she wears last years harness in her ladder stand now. I still feel safe in my climbers, but I just think it's time to be alittle more responsible. I am not the kind of guy that wants to preach to people about a harness, but I think it's better to be safe then sorry cause anything can happen.

As for the lock on's....I have one but my grandpa uses it because I hate it. I don't mind using it in a big oak full of limbs or something but I hate using it in a tree without limbs and probaly haven't hunted out of it but 1 time in the past three years. My grandpa loves it though...easy in and out and he feels like a million bucks in it. Of coarse he doesn't go over 15ft but still.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm sitting on go now. I'm 100% climber. I love my loggy, the old style. I use a harness once I'm up to my hunting height. I do hunt a few loc ons and us it there as well.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Since getting older, I only hunt 16ft ladder stands secured with ratchet straps on the middle and top. I feel very secure in them. I'm done with loc ons, climbing sticks, etc. I shot at my club sat & sun. It has 20 3D targets set up at various distances and heights and that has helped my sight picture a ton. Hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well I hunted the opener in KY Saturday and it was great. The deer are still on a hard summer pattern and move around only at dark or close to it. I got in way early because I wasn't sure what time was shooting light. Needless to say, in the hour and ten minutes that I sat in the dark, several deer walked right under me. Never could make them out, just know they were deer. Its so hot now. Not sure if I'll hunt any this week or not, a front is supposed to be pushing through tonight so I may head down to the farm and give it one last whirl until it cools off. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Official Team Club 17 Barely Legal Thread (17)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.