Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16) >

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Community

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM

Default RE: Official Team 16 Thread

Another evening sit and no deer.
I was on an oak flat w/ some acorns. One of only a few places w/ mast.
I don't get it.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this in the bowhunting forum, but then decided to delete it and just post it here since no-one seems to be interested in what I have to say anyway.Anyway, I almost put us on the board this evening. Well,I'm out of time. It's 9:55, and I have to get up at 2:00 am to head out for the woods. Good luck this weekend guys!

I'm going to my lease in Hardeman County tomorrow, and I had to get my climber from my stand behind my house. It was 5:15 and I'd just gotten home from work, and I figured I might as well hunt for an hour, so I just threw a 3D suit over my work clothes, grabbed my bow and hurried back there. Got on the stand at 5:30. At about 6:00, I heard "that sound" behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and it was a doe fawn, 15yardsaway. Then I saw a mature doe out in the food plot. Then another, and it took off running, but not from me. That's when I saw him. Nice, big 8 point, and he was in full chase. Head down, grunting and he had her on the move. She cut behind me and ran down the hill, but he didn't follow. The buck trotted into the woods 30 yards away and stopped in some thick small trees. I could see him. He had a nice, tall and wide rack, but the tines weren't very long. Still, he would have gone well over 100", and he would have made a fine first bow-buck (for me, anyway). I got my bow off the hanger and slowly turned his way. Just as Iwas gettinginto the right position, one of the does that had "run down the hill" hadn't. I got busted moving that last few inches.[:@][:@] She blew, and the buck just stood there for about 5 minutes, then slowly turned and walked the other direction.[&o] I never had a shot, but it was an awesome experience. I came so close to getting my first buck with a bow, and he would have been a nice one. Well, as they say, that's why it's called hunting.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, close calls like that is one of the things that keep us going back for more.

Keep after'em guys. The action should be pickin' up every where, and if we put our time in on stand, sooner or later, we'll get a shot. I will be heading back to the farm in KS. after work on Thursday for a 10 day stay. Lookin' forward to it.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys....I let ya down. Had the most amazing night of my hunting career Saturday. Saw 4 great bucks and a ton of deer in general, over 30 in all. The bucks were chasing the does all over throughout the evening but none wanted to come by my stand. I was surprisingly calm through all of this, considering I have never even seen a buck in the woods while hunting let alone 4 big boys at 70 yards. Towards dark they all worked off into the swamp and away from me. As I sat in disappointment, the big guy of the group I had watched all night came in out of nowhere from behind me. He closed in fast and I tried to stay calm, but he was BIG. I grabbed my bow and drew as he closed into 15 yards. I don't even know exactly what happened next..he stopped, giving me a basically broadside shot (barely quartering to) and I let him have it. I saw the arrow tear into him and I thought it was an alright shot, maybe a little low. He ran maybe 30 yards and stopped, I really thought it was all over right then and there. But.....he started walking slowly and just walked away. Honestly, by this time I was freaking out. I waited as some does ran right up to me, and I didn't have an arrow ready or anything. I got down and looked at the arrow and it was caked in pretty dark red blood, but it didn't stink or anything so I really didn't understand. It was dark by then so I waited til morning to go look for him. Me and two other guys went out and there really wasn't much to see. There was some hair and smaller drops of blood that we followed for about 100 yards. The blood eventually just stopped and.....we was gone. He looked, and looked, and looked, and looked some more but this brute was gone. I just hope he is OK. Sorry guys.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, that's a tough pill to swallow. I hate to hear that, maybe go back a few more times, even a few days from now, and if he died, the crows may lead ya to him.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah ill be hunting there next weekend hopefully, so ill look around. From the amount of blood though I think he might make it. Seems like I lit lower then I thought even because there was a lot of hair loss. I just can't believe I practice nearly everyday for this and then I blow it in the clutch.[:@]
Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 AM

We all lose a deer Brandon. It's a tough one to loose a monster though. It makes you sick to your stomach, but it will probably happen again.That's part of what we deal with as archery hunters.Don't worry too much. Get back in the tree and stay in that spot. It sounds perfect.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. thats two close encounters guys.... dont give up. Some of my best hunts I never shoot..... and practice 3D shooting will help get rid of thoes shakes. You just go into kill mode and 9 out of 10 times it will be a dead deer...

Going out in the AM to see if I can find one...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Temps in IL have been high the past many days with strong winds from the South. I have been seeing a few deer but not very many. Some bucks are tailing does now.

Things should turn on later this week when a cold front moves in. I'll be out a bit again this weekend and most of the day next Tuesday.

Good luck guys!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing this morning. Most of the land I hunt has been sold off. I walked it today to see just how much and there are a couple good spots left on the power line area....
There is only one problem with the one spot. Nasty swamp. I went in it once in the winter and ended up crawling out. everything is moss and muck.

Quick Reply: Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.