Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16) >

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Community

Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Official Team Sunrise Assassins Thread (16)

Weel guys, trying to bowhunt the rifle season has been a bust for me. My wife and kids and I all got the flu last week and I was never able to set foot out the door. My last day off is today and I'm still not feeling good.
Looks like the after Christmas season will be my last chance. I hope the weather cooperates.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The whole family being sick can't be any fun!!

Talked to my buddy in KS. last night. I posted back in late Oct. that his dad had arrowed a big deer, on film too, and they never recovered it. On film, it looks like agood hit, and everyone that watched it agreed, dead deer. Well, during rifle season, the deer was found in a good kind of way. My buddys cousin shot it with a rifle. Amazingly, even though on video the shot looked good, it was simply too low to hit vitals. The arrow wound on the deer simply missed the lungs, possibly knicking the near lung. the deer lived and would've kept on living if it hadn't gotten shot by a rifle last week. The deer scored 158".
Also, my buddys daughter shot a big buck that grossed 178" last week with a rifle. So some big deer have fallen. I was planning on heading back this Wed. after work, but my buddy said to hold off a week. Rifle season ends on Sunday, so next weekend, I'll head back with the bow in hand and try to get a late season buck around a food source. All hope is not lost yet.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Get us on the board Tim.
I'm 2 weeks away from the 2nd. archery season. It's tough hunting the late season with a bow in PA. If you're not on the food or the weather just plain stinks , you're in for a long cold sit.
Time to start scouting again.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, food source is what I'll be hunting next week. Looks like the weather is going to be real cold, so food source should produce some action.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM

11 days and counting. I'm almost as pumped for the second season as the first.
How about you guys? Who can still hunt?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who can still hunt?
I'll be leaving from work tomorrow afternoon, headed back to KS. for 3.5 days more, and that's it. It looks like it's going to be brutal sitting on stand, with a high of 35 degrees on one day, and a high of teens on one day. Gonna test my will power for sure..
Old 12-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that's it. I tried. Was on stand for the last 4 days, for 1/2 days only. 3 evening hunts and this morning, and I'll tell ya, this late season stand hunting with wind chills below zero aren't for me. Damn it was cold. Last night, I finally decided that I was down to the last straw and it was time to shoot a doe, and by the time I took my gloves off to the time I got the shot, I thought my fingers were going to fall off. I shot over the doe ta boot. Clean miss. Never even saw a shooter buck, except the one a friend of mine shot. A nice solid 150" buck.
Just not my year to shoot a deer. Got plenty of elk and left over deer from last year yet to eat, so at least we won't starve to death!! Maybe next year.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'm still out hunting until mid-Jan.

Killed a doe Sunday night in Pike County. There were over 50 deer in site from my stand that evening. My brother(outfitter in Pike) set me up in a stand along a corn field and told me deer would move by about 4:45. Killed my doe about 4:50.

I will head back later this week looking for a buck.

Good luck boys!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there LLBUX, I know it's tough hunting this late and in the cold weather. Get us on the board man!!