Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14) >

Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14)

Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14)

Old 08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team 14 Thread

Kyle,

I'm not complaining one bit (I actually like it) but Its kinda funny us 2 Minnesota guys get hooked up on the same team.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Them are some nice bucks buckbuster. Other than the buck I posted earlier I have spotted several others. There is a solid 8 that I have been seeing that I think would go upper 140's to maybe even 150, and then a lot that would be in the 130 range and quite a few in the 140's. Hopefully I can connect on one of them this year for the team. I am liking this team more and more, we have a lot of veteran hunters on the team and hopefully one of you guys could get us started and open the flood gates while your at it.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I like the green one better also.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck this year all... Though I don't know if you'll be able to live up to your team name "The Horse Tamers"....
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Kyle,

I'm not complaining one bit (I actually like it) but Its kinda funny us 2 Minnesota guys get hooked up on the same team.
I was thinking the same thing! I like it too, especially when you put down a bigger one than last year...because THAT was a beauty....I'm excited to see what this year holds for you, you deserve it
Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Kyle,

I was thinking the same thing! I like it too, especially when you put down a bigger one than last year...because THAT was a beauty....I'm excited to see what this year holds for you, you deserve it
Thanks Kyle but to be honest I'd rather see you do it then me. My turn came last year, I'll take it again but to be honest I'd rather see you do it instead. I'm not to happy with the sign I've seen so far. Yet have I seen a track that will excite me this year. I'm really starting to think that them 2 large bodied bucks with 3" of growth and huge bases that got hit on the road back in April were the 2 big guys I had been seeing last year. I hope I'm wrong.[>:]
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you both get it done
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Kyle,

Thanks Kyle but to be honest I'd rather see you do it then me. My turn came last year, I'll take it again but to be honest I'd rather see you do it instead. I'm not to happy with the sign I've seen so far. Yet have I seen a track that will excite me this year. I'm really starting to think that them 2 large bodied bucks with 3" of growth and huge bases that got hit on the road back in April were the 2 big guys I had been seeing last year. I hope I'm wrong.[>:]
Hell, I'd like to see anyone on our team take a nice P any Y'er.

I hope you're wrong too, Steve. That would be a bummer.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,
Ijust wanted to check in andlet you know what I did or didn't see when I was out scouting for treestand locations last weekend. In Missouri, we can't hang treestands until Sept 1 on public land, so I know what I'll be doing this Labor Day, Sept 1. I thoughtyou could hang them earlier so I'm gladI checked beforeI went out. As you recall in my earlier posts, I don't get out very often, so it's more of a crap shoot for me with my limited scouting skills.
In the area that I want my son to focus on I saw some great trails that were so obvious. Coming from the dense cover to the soybean and corn fields. Found one set of tracks that measured about 3 3/4", but that was about it for the big ones.Also spooked up a couple of beded mature does. This area is fairly close to the road so I'm concerned about traffic, but I want it fairly easy for my son to get to - for now. I have plenty of options for treestand and ground blind locations here and this should be a great spot for my son early in the season.
Another area that worked well last year (because it was so freakin far in)just didn't have the activity I was expecting to see. We had some flooding this Spring and believe that might have forced them out of that area. I'm pretty sure I've figured out the changed patterns, but I need to study it a bit more before I pick any treestand locations in this area. I'll also be checking a funnel that I hunted 3 yrs ago. Early last year they did a controlled burn there, but I'm hoping all is back to normal in that secluded area now.

Aaron, if you could PM me and let me know who did the avatars. These are great, and says all it really needs to.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Speaking of scouting, my son and I went out yesterday to add a cables and locks to a few of my stands. As we entered the woods I heard deer taking off and saw only tails darting down through a small overgrown field just inside the woods. Took care of we went there to do and I decided to walk down into the woods where we saw the deer heading.

We got maybe to about where I last saw the tails and about75 yards awaystood three bucks frozen in their tracks and staring further down in the woods. Turns out there were three bears (mom & two cubs) feeding and playing their way uptowards the bucks. Thebucks finally bolted after the bears got closer (plus they saw us) to them. We stayed and watched them a little longer until they got a little too close for comfort. They were100 plus yards away from us and they had no clue we were there. My son's3 1/2yrs oldand I wasn't sure how far I would have gotten running and trying to carry him.To boot, my Casulland my Berretta were both at home! Something I would normally have with me. The bucks were decent but not something I’d shoot with the bow. Well I take that back! I’d stick the one buck if he walks within 20 yards of me.

We stopped off at the house to pick up the camera and my pistol before heading out to my other stand. Just in case…lol Well, we didn’t see more deer or bears but as before, on the way out we saw several turkeys that I got with the camera. One of my best days in the woods with my son and we saw deer, bears and turkeys! If he wasn’t spent from the previous stand hikes, I probably could have taken him into one of my other stands and found a moose to make it complete day

Quick Reply: Official Team The Horse Tamers Thread (14)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.