Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Official Team Tree Sharks (2) Thread

Kind of surprised there were no entries from this past weekend.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Frank,

I just got my binos and 10X may be too much except for when I'm hunting the Eastern Shore. I'll have to take them home and mess around with them this weekend to see.I gave myself a headache looking through them without adjusting at objects only 15 ft away.

The lenses seem clear and bright and such. They are ruggedly built and everything comes into focus nice. The eye pieces are either the whole way out or the whole way in and only the right eye diopter is adjustable. however, it seems to adjust well and snap into focus. I'll have to go to the site you sent me to look at some of the things that I'm supposed to look for that should not be right. They are not Nikons but may be good enough for $109 to my door. I'll definitely have to think about the 8x's though.

Any further comments on the bins after more extended use? I just ordered a set of Vortex Diamondback 8x42s from Cameralandny. They have some with factory blemishes for $130. These are phase coated roof prism bins at a similar quality level to the Nikon Monarchs. With a 420 foot field of view though the image should be more relaxed. They also have an excellent level of eye relief....more so than most of the other sub-$300 roofs on the market.

The season is looming closer and closer. I haven't looked at the scoreboard since the first three were posted. I better putter on over.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm liking the Pine Ridges. I used them yesterday while shooting and they seemed to work well once I got the right eye diopter straightened out. Very crisp and clear view even when there isn't a lot of light. To me, they are better than the Bushnell's and Simmons I tried and close or equal to the Monarch 10X42's.

Oh, the optics are definitely phase coated. It's written all overthe box.Cabela's needs to do a better job of explaining that on-line.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deadstick

going out for the first time tonight. Still haven't found anything close to home, so I'm taking off early from work (we've got a cold front in here - it's in the 50s, down to the low 40s at night) and heading out to the in-law's farm and hunting the stand I hung up a couple of weeks ago.

I'll let you know how it goes (I'm pretty excited - doubt I'll shoot anything the first night out, but really excited just to go bowhunting!)

Here's where I'm going:

Good luck!!! Sounds like fun to me!
Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deadstick

Kind of surprised there were no entries from this past weekend.
I thought the same thing, it cooled off in most northern locales....got the deer moving here for sure!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Well boys, I'm back. Not a bad trip but definitely not what I was hoping for. I passed up a couple small reindeer since my goal was to at least beat my #2 from 2 years ago and hopefully beat Chuck Adams #1 but the main herd just wouldn't come down the valley closer than 3 miles and if you've ever walked over 100 yards of tundra you'd know why I didn't make the 6 mile roundtrip trek after them. I've got a friend putting floats on his plane in the next couple weeks so I hope to get down there again later in the season when they cooperate better. The real disappointment is that I hunted a real trophy blacktail all week that managed to allude me. On the last day I decided to grab the camp bear rifle (to hunt with for the first time ever) and head out to make sure I at least put some meat in the freezer. Wouldn't you know that the first buck I come across is the same hog I'd been after all week?! 45 yards, laying in his bed, slam dunk with the bow and blam! I kill him with a rifle! I cursed the whole mile and a half back to camp for being a jackass and not sticking by the bow but then I realized that I shot a buck of a lifetime anyway and not a bad first (and hopefully last) critter with a centerfire. I guess I'm okay with it since I've still got 2 deer tags in my pocket, a plane to fly out in for the cost of gas and 4 months of deer season left. (Just for reference, I'd estimate he's similar to a 140-150" class whitetail, 16" wide, 6 scoreable points on one side, 4 on the other.)

Here's the photobucket link to the rest of the pics: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...008/?start=all

Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow CONGRATS on an awesome buck!!! Too bad about the rifle as far as the contest goes but he is a great trophy gun or bow!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a really nice blacktail. What did you shoot him with caliber wise.

The last time I ever carried any sort of firearm during archery was 1988 or so when after seeing nice bucks for a month and not getting any close I decided to hunt squirrel with my .22 just for a change of pace.I was walking along and jumped the buck out of his bed. He just stood up and stood there 20 yds away broadside and had no clue I was there. Watched him for about 10 minutes and then decided I'd move. After that it was no guns during archery.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

That's a really nice blacktail. What did you shoot him with caliber wise.

The last time I ever carried any sort of firearm during archery was 1988 or so when after seeing nice bucks for a month and not getting any close I decided to hunt squirrel with my .22 just for a change of pace.I was walking along and jumped the buck out of his bed. He just stood up and stood there 20 yds away broadside and had no clue I was there. Watched him for about 10 minutes and then decided I'd move. After that it was no guns during archery.
.375/.338 (.338 case opened up to .375 caliber). It's a custom Win. model 70 that I built when I was a gunsmith.

For me it's a matter of carrying a bow during rifle season. We have very few special archery seasons here and the one for deer here on the island is only after the regular rifle season near town. The rest of the island it's always regular (any weapon) season from Aug. 1st to Dec. 31st.

Here's the rest of the pics from the trip: http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...008/?start=all
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great Buck Kodiak and Many Congrats. He's a great trophy! You hunt some awesome country. 1 day I'll make the dream trip that you live every day!

Quick Reply: Official Team Tree Sharks Thread (2)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.