Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Community

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

Alrighty here we go. So this morning i decided to hunt this new spot that i was feeling really good about, the only problem was that there was no quiet route to walk in on. I must have snapped a couple hundred branches on my way in there, i even got blown at by a deer that was bedded nearby. I decided to pull out my new grunt tube and start grunting as i walked, in hopes of convincing the other deer that i was one of there own. So i finally get settled in at about 6:30am, it's still pitch black and i can hear some really loud movement about 150 yards to my right. It sounded like a trespasser because this thing was just sloshing around and snapping twigs. To back up a little, last year we encountered two trespassers in this same area. So this morning while this was going on my blood started boiling, i picked up my grunt tube and started grunting like a mad man in hopes of letting this person know that there is another hunter nearby and he is aware of you. Well as i am doing this the noise keeps getting closer and closer until finally i can make out the form of a deer. It was still to dark to take a shot so just sat there hoping that this thing would stick around until there was enough light. Seemed like every five minutes this deer would trot off about 100 yards and then i would hit the tube and he would come back and we repeated this probably 4-5 times. Finally i had enough light and showed up directly behind me at 25 yards. I drew back and held for about a minute until he turned slightly quartering away while walking, i had to give him the mehhhhh treatment a couple of times to stop him. I punched my release and put an absolute perfect shot right behind his shoulder with the Rage 2B. As he ran off i could tell that i didn't get an exit hole but he did fall within sight so i felt instant relief. When he fell onto the arrow that was sticking out of him he snapped it in half and the rage got shoved up into his stomach which resulted into a messy field dress. Got him home pretty quickly and cleaned him up good. I just finished some delicious grilled loins and am feeling pretty good about my day right now. He's not a big score but at least we are on the board now.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Heres on more. I took a ton of pictures in the field of his full body and entrance wound with my phone and i'll try to post them maybe tomorrow.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 PM

ATTA BOY STUBBY!!!!!!!! Sorry man, that just flowed MUCH too easily!! OK, that's it....I can't stand it.....I'm TOTALLY FIRED UP NOW!!! Man, HUGE congrats for getting it done bro!!

Alright fellas, that's the first one!!! The ice has been broken, now let's bring it home!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dustin .... HUGE Congrats, man!!!! Nice buck and congrats to team 19!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Stubbmeister! What's he score?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats there Stubb. We are on the board and hell if everyone shot one just that size we could probably win this. Don't forget (I never knew this) but you get all 4 of the H measurements. I asked about it because I saw some guys with fork horns doing it and even a spike buck gets credit for the H1-H4. Seems weird to me but it is what it is. Great job and again congrats.

As for me I just had 2 miserable days. Got hit but the flu bug and it SUCKED. I told my wife I now know why old people die of the flu. It is because they want to. I have not been hit with that in years. Anyway feeling better now and all plans are still a go starting this weekend. I will check in some but not a lot over the next 3 weeks.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 AM

way to go Stubb!!! First one down for the good guys!!! Wooooo Hoooooo. Ok guys Stbb started the ball rolling lets get out there and start dropping'em.

On a side note I will be heading out after work today for a few hours so we shall see what I come across. Hopefully I'll have that shooter buck that my buddy has been seeing run in front of my bow.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted last evening and seen 3 does. I will not be back out till sat, there's supposed to be a real strong cold front comming thru sat night and snow possible sunday.

I found the pic of my biggest bowkill. Shot him the second to the last day of season, with about 3 feet of snow on the ground, man i love late season hunting here.

Anyone else got any pics of there biggest buck with the bow?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest buck with a bow was a 6 point shot many years ago. 22 to be exact. I stopped bow hunting when my kids were born and took up duck and goose hunting because it was more action for them. They grew to LOVE hunting and when my son said he wanted to try the bow hunting I got back into it. That was in 2002. I have been letting many bucks walk every year hoping for the big one and letting them grow. I am seeing the errors of my ways because of Wisconsins handleing of the CWD. We are allowed unlimited bucks for every doe we shoot. It is VERY hard to get older bucks because some guys shoot everything. I just found out the guy renting out the 80 acres to our south shot 20 deer last year giving 17 away. That is 20 deer on 80 acres. Many were smaller bucks. Just not going to get many big ones that way. So I will now look at pretty much anything that has 8 points. Yes I would still love that big 130" but probably won't happen until the DNR changes their rules.

Congrats again to you Stubb and to you Finner for not giving up on that buck you got there at the end of the season. That is some COLD hunting that time of year. Let's all get out there and fill some tags.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Here are the other pictures that i took with my cell phone right after the shot.

This first one is right after the shot. The red dot shows where the buck was standing at 25 yards out.

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.