Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38) >

Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Community

Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Horn Ultimatum (38) Thread

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Thanks Bryan, a shunt is where they tie your vanes into a tube for dialysis and regular infusions, doegirl can probably explain it a little better than I can.
I know I was with him one time when he was getting a dialysis treatment befor he got his transplant and something happend to the injection site, I could not belive how much blood he lost befor they stoped it.
Wow, that sounds scary. At least he can still get out and enjoy the outdoors. Good for him and give him a pat on the back for me for keeping strong.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Craig all I can tell you is do whatever you feel is best for your style of hunting buddy. Letting bucks walk that at this time in the season, dont meet your desires is a good thing. Sometimes letting deer pass, and the self restraint required to do so, is tough.

Ive been in 12 different stands in 8 dayssince the MD season opener. 4 morning hunts, and 8 afternoon hunts. Nothing bigger than maybe a couple 110" to 115" bucks in range. Ive seen a few shooters (125"+)within 60 yards so hopefully its a matter of time. I really want to get a buck before the October lull kicks in. Today will be my first day not in a stand, Im feeling sick and have flu like symptoms so my wife is FORCING me to stay home tonight. She made me some homemade chicken soup
Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get better Diesel. Take a day to rest so you don't get really sick and miss 3 or 4. Homemade chicken soup sounds mmm, mmmmm, good!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bummer Andy, hope you get to feeling better soon, the chicken soup cant hurt thats for sure.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey everyone, here is a link to the story and pics from the hunt I filmed in New Jersey 2 weekends ago. Please take a moment to check it out.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3057796
Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Andy,

Hope you get to feeling better. I'd be awfully disappointed to be sick this time of the year.

I have zero problems letting that little guy walk. It proves to me that I've reached a more mature place in MY hunting journey. Matter of fact, I let him walk again this morning. It's like he's on a clock because he came in at exactly the same time, from exactly the same area/direction. He hung around munching on the acorns for about 15 minutes and then...he bed down 48 yards behind me. This put me in a real pinch because I needed to be out of the woods by about 0900 to return a rental car. He slept a little, looked around a little, slept a little and so on. It was very windy this morning so I used that to my advantage and once he closed his eyes again I lowered my bow and very quietly climed down. Just as I was getting near the bottom of my tree...he looked up right at me. I was able to take the last step down and then "hide" behind my tree. I guess he got enough of my movement that he did stand up, but did not spook hard...trotted off about 20 yards and then locked onto my tree...that I was peeking around to keep an eye on him.[8D] At one point he actually started walking directly for my tree...really wanting to figure out what he had seen I guess. He finally had enough and walked off and I was able to escape witout what I'd consider to be a "hard bump". No snorting or stomping so I think that spot will be okay if I leave it sit for a few days.
I'll be back out this afternoon on a different farm. The wind will be 20ish MPH so we'll see how that works out. I always enjoy the last 45 minutes of the afternoon when the wind dies down and things get to be "just right".

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Craig all I can tell you is do whatever you feel is best for your style of hunting buddy. Letting bucks walk that at this time in the season, dont meet your desires is a good thing. Sometimes letting deer pass, and the self restraint required to do so, is tough.

Ive been in 12 different stands in 8 dayssince the MD season opener. 4 morning hunts, and 8 afternoon hunts. Nothing bigger than maybe a couple 110" to 115" bucks in range. Ive seen a few shooters (125"+)within 60 yards so hopefully its a matter of time. I really want to get a buck before the October lull kicks in. Today will be my first day not in a stand, Im feeling sick and have flu like symptoms so my wife is FORCING me to stay home tonight. She made me some homemade chicken soup
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Well team, I just got back in from this evenings hunt and it was pretty fun. No shots, but a good hunt. I went out pretty early because I wanted to check out a location that I had not hunted yet andthoughtthatgetting in early was the best bet. It was very windy...as predicted, but I figured it would die down as it got closer to sunset. It never really did. Anyway, about 4:20 a little six pointer came in...really narrow, tall and sort of unique rack, but not a shooter for me. I got a little video of him and one picturewhile he was right below my stand. I was a little surprised that the gusting winds, switching one direction to the other, did not spook him off, but maybe that's a sign that my scent control is working because he never noticed me. About an hour after he wondered off another wider six point came in...almost like he was there to find me. He came in, looked right up at me for a minute and then turned tail and trotted off. Right at sunset I saw a group of deer working their way toward me, but they were at a point where I could not tell what any of them were right off. Finally I could make out a fairly nice 8 point and the bino view I got of him was enough to at least make me pick up the bow. After another glance through the glass I decided to shoot if I could, but he turned and wondered off away from me. There were two more small bucks in that same group and then just as light expired a doe came through, but it was too dark to shoot.
Seems like I found a good area, but I think that I'll move to a different tree...literally about 10 feet away from where I was tonight. That tree would have given me a shot at any of the 6 deer I saw tonight.
Hope everyone else is doing well and having as much fun as I am. No shots yet, but lots of fun. I'll be out again Friday morning and Saturday morning and afternoon.
Cheers,
Craig
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Craig thats awesome, sounds like your having a great season so far.

Diesel Hope you feel better soon.

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Thanks Bryan, a shunt is where they tie your vanes into a tube for dialysis and regular infusions, doegirl can probably explain it a little better than I can.
I know I was with him one time when he was getting a dialysis treatment befor he got his transplant and something happend to the injection site, I could not belive how much blood he lost befor they stoped it.
JOhn thats awesome to here about your buddy, it sounds like he has a pretty good friend. I'm sure it was kind of scary when he lost his line and they couldn't stop the bleeding for a little bit, ive seen it on a few occasions at work when people get confused and pull out their central or arterial lines, it takes a little bit to get it stopped. I can try to explain in a little more detail what you were talking about here.

It sounds likeyou were talking about a Dialysis Catheter. The Catheter is usually placed in the internal jugular vein in the neck but if your buddy was getting it on a regular basis then it was probably inserted through the sublcavian veins whichare accessed right underneath the collar bone on his right side. Either way both are then advanced tothetop of the heart. The Catheter has 2 lumens wich is basically just 2 different lines that go through one larger one and open again to 2 different lines on each end. One of these lines is a venous line and the other is arterial, one is used to take blood from the body and send it through the dialysis machine and the other is used to return the blood to the body.

Shunts can be in many different places, most commonly the brain and heart. Easiest way to describe it is a passage wich allows fluid to be removed or to move from one part of the body to another.

Doegirl if i missed anything or completely messed up in explaining it please correct me, its almost 5am

Hope this helps a little bit.

Tom
Old 09-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the "get wells" everyone. Fever is gone, just a sore throat and cough. Flu's are great, I lost 10 lbs in 3 days!!

Craig, sounds like a great hunt. I'll take a day like that in a stand any day!! Seems like a matter of time before you connect on agood one.

I ventured out yesterday afternoon in some windy rainy cold conditions. I tried using my tree umbrella which normally works awesome, but when its blowing hard the rain just comes under the umbrella, but under normal conditions they really work well. I sat out for a few hours before succumbing to better judgement and got down around 6:45PM. I did seer deer, but nothing even close enough to shoot.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Hi guys just checking in. Glad everyone is enjoying the outdoors and feeling better. I'm really only going to have a couple of weekends to hunt because my wife is in her biggest semester (24 credit hours) in her last year of Pharmacy school. I literally watch the kids nights and weekends, we don't have family in town. I'm saving my time for later October/early November when the prerut & calling time is the best. That will increase my chances since I don't have much time. Anyway, wish I was out there with you guys. My wife won't be in school for ever and I'll have more money to get my hunting gear together. LOL

Have a great weekend.

Quick Reply: Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.