Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38) >

Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Community

Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Old 09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Horn Ultimatum (38) Thread

Hey guys, Im flying out to Kansas in the morning. I will be muzzleloader hunting. I will be back on here next weekend sometimeand let you know how it went.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Hey all, sorry for not "checking in" in a timely manner. I know you already have alternates and I wish you the best of luck. The wife and I just had our first kid a few months back so my computer time has been limited (doing the daddy thing) but I will be in the woods and I do wish you the best of luck. If anything happens and you need another alternate let me know.

Go get'em!

Kent
Old 09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck guys and be safe.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, the hunting was about as good as I felt when we left, and that was lousy! We got to the property and the farmer was harvesting the hay. We went down to the stand where Damien shot his 2 doe and saw the nice wide 10 point and got set up. Damien's brother Matt came in and set up in the opposite corner of the field. As we were sitting the farmer's tractor broke down about 100 yard from Matt. He was out there until around 6:30 trying to fix it.[:@]

I saw one doe come out to the field and leave in a hurry and maybe one about 75 yards behind us but I'm not sure. That was it for Friday night. Matt did see 6 deer including one buck, but they were across the creek from him and never camedown to us.

Saturday morning we got in nice and early. Stayed statue still and were extra quiet the whole sit and stayed until about 11 and saw one fox and no deer. That was the first time ever that Damien has sat that stand and not seen a single deer. We did some mid-day scouting and I found a nice oak ridge filled with old mature white oaks. We found a good tree and set up there.

Saturday evening we got in and finally saw some deer including one big old doe that Damien thought would come right to us but she turned and went up to Matt. She had him pegged and he couldn't get a shot and she disappeared. Matt thought she would head down to us, but she never did.

I had thought about going down again this weekend, but with the lack of activity and my father and brother coming to town to visit I'm going to hold off. Damien and I both agree that it might be better to let it settle down a bit before hunting it again.

So, we'll be back after it in a few weeks. PA opener on October 4th will be my next outing.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Team, I've rounded a corner in my bow hunting journey. I was able to hunt Saturday monring and had a 6 point come in just about 0700...25 yards, relaxed, broadside, upwind and it would have been an easy shot. It was very exciting to see my first buck of the season, but I did not even touch my bow to try to shoot him. I'm at the point where I'm only looking for bigger (mature ???)bucks and it was actually sort of fun to let this one walk. Two years ago...even earlier last year there is no doubt I would have shot that deer. I guess I'm just to the point where I'll shoot does for meat, but bucks are going to have to fit a different measure.
I know that some don't consider a buck "mature" until it's 3.5 or older, but I'm not certain that will be my personal standard. My thoughts right now are something that is at least 8 points and a spread outside of the ears. I know that this could easily be a 2.5 year old and that's not considered mature, but I'll have to make that decision when/if the time comes. There is some of the..."if I don't shoot him, somebody else will" stuff going on in my head, but I'm getting by that by telling myself that maybe, just maybe, somebody else won't even see or get a shot at what I let walk.
Anyway...I'm on travel the next couple of days, but will be back in the woods Wednesday afternoon, Friday and Saturday.

STAY SAFE,hunt hardand have fun.

Craig
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Craig, the biggest thing is shooting what makes you happy. If letting that 6 point walk makes you happy then that's a good thing, because enjoying our time out there is what it's all about. Don't worry about what others will do or think. One thing is for sure, if you pull the trigger on a deer nobody else will shoot it and that's as big as it will ever be. So, just make sure it's one that you'll be happy with and we'll all be here to congratulate you when you post it up.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys. Josh wanted me to let you know that he will be without internet for a few days so he might not be around that often.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hay Team, sorry I have not checked in lately. I have been trying to get my honey do list done befor I head out to Maryland. Have been cutting splitting and stacking fire wood, working on the vehiclesand running bear baits for a friend of mine. I have had enough time to get on here and give congrats to those that have scored so far this season.

My life long friend Tommy is an organ transplant patient and has 2 shunts in him, so he has a crossbow permit. Ihave been running baits for him for a month and got to sitwith him in his blind Fridayand watch him shoot a Bear. It was quite an experience as a spectator, what a rush!

Toms Bear.

Not a beast but a good Bear.

Got more good news last night, RuttNutts Wife (my awesome daughter in law) got her first deer with a bow last night . A doe, she got a good shot on her, it jumped went about 10 feet and looked back and fell over dead on the spot, Zeb had 2 stands in the tree and got to watch it all, it dont get much better than that!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats to your buddy on his bear and to your daughter-in-law on her first deer with a bow. Nice to see some more success.

One question, what is a shunt?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bryan, a shunt is where they tie your vanes into a tube for dialysis and regular infusions, doegirl can probably explain it a little better than I can.
I know I was with him one time when he was getting a dialysis treatment befor he got his transplant and something happend to the injection site, I could not belive how much blood he lost befor they stoped it.

Quick Reply: Official Team Horn Ultimatum Thread (38)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.