Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

At least you had some action there Mauser. I’ve still got one more day of work, then I can finish out the Pa season with 3 straight days in a tree. (Hopefully, I can shoot one and end my hunting before all 3 days are up) I have 3 spots that I have complete faith in, and each one will get an all day sit. Just a matter of which one, on which day. 2 are thicker funnel areas, and the other is more of a travel corridor within a bedding area. 2 of the 3 have already produced mature bucks over the years. One spot I’ve already hunted a few times, the other 2 will be 1st time sits. I cannot wait, maybe lightning can strike twice this year. [8D]
Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Ryan! i got faith in you to drop another one!!

im having MAJOR difficulties already deciding where to hunt saturday...camp? ahhh risky...but could be great..

honey hole hill? they finally picked ALL the corn that was surrounding it and i think was screwing me...

the new spot? alot of small game hunter and turkey hunter potentential..but could be noone..never know..and potential of not having the shot due to brush and new setup...id like to tweak it next year and do a little trimming...

kinda hard to decide....i dont know what to do...decisions decisions....thursdays lookin like a washout so saturday could be it........but ive scored on the last day many times over...deer and turkeys..this years longbeard was the last day i could absolutely hunt before going to Cape Cod..one year in the extended doe rifle season i took 2 does..last day, last drive. another year i killed a small buck last day, last drive of rifle season...so i aint loosing faith!

the new spot could also be an awesome rifle stand...i can probably snipe them a couple hundred yards out through the brush if im on top of my game...but i dont know how packed that area may get..might not at all...buddy doesnt know if the neighbors(land owner) hunt anymore...i may have to stop by and see if they expect anyone to be on the farm...theres a club and dump the next land plots over that are hunted hard and will send deer my way...

got the ole Jimmy back...bill wasnt near as bad as i thought it would be...maybe the weather will change or not be a wash out and i can get out thursday...i wish it would be nice..id head to camp tomorrow evening.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea that thursday washout has me a bit bummed. My first set of days off, I had terribly warm temps. Now my second set off, heavy rains. [:@][:@]
But iI only have3 days left & I have rain gear & a porta roof. I will still be out.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin from Georgia and his friend were in town bowhunting with me the past two days. I always visit them for a spring turkey hunt every year and they put me on the birds. Finally it was my turn to put them on the bucks. And that I did

My cousins friend shot anice 7 pt with 3 stickers that scored right at 120", Monday night. I have several pics of him on trailcam and was very excited when he told me had got him. I managed to kill another turkey on Monday morning. The deer were moving great the past two days and Im confident about scoring a buck in the next week or so.

Heres some pics from the hunt

Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go drhntr!
Sounds like its a matter of time before you drill a good buck. Those turkeys are proably wishing you'd do it soon & lay off them for a bit
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats drhntr!! thats a good lookin buck!! and another turkey too! good job!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job on the turkey drhnrt178! Sounds like you & Mauser are bothinto them... hopefully you'll get a shot soon.

I was out over the weekend and saw a few bucks(including a awesome 10pt droptine), but nothing close enough for Casi to get a shot. You might remember a couple weeks ago when Casi had an encounter with a nice buck that we have a couple game cam pics of. It wouldn't come closer than 60 yards, so she wasn't given a shot. On Friday, my brother was sitting in our stand and was able to take him. I'm glad somebody was able get him. He was a mature buck with a big body. I grossed scored him at 149 6/8

Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

dang Joey thats a dandy!!! you guys seem to grow em big pretty regular out there!!

looks like the washout isnt going to be a washout...seems its gunna end by 10am or so....guess i'll head up to the state game lands 1 more time...no reason to drive home for a couple hour hunt...and no reason to drive clear to camp...probably going to venture out right as the rain is letting up and sit till dark...

im still kinda scratching my head about the whole lack or seeking and chasing...maybe the light switch was flipped and things will be different these last few days...

our PA season end Saturday the 15th...

pretty furious i may have to goto class opening day of rifle season. i understand professors dont HAVE to give us off...but in my major, the majority of us do hunt and the professors in the major are very understanding...its the week after thanksgiving and the week before finals..most professors dont do a whole lot that week throughout the univesity...this professor is new to the PA area and our school and we have a project due..no big deal we can have it done early. but he wants us there for presentations....were all having a hard time with it...out of a class of 20 or so probably 15 of us arent happy...i understand and gotta do what i gotta do...school comes first..we'll see what we can pull off...had to give up the 2nd day for training...which i guess i see as more important to me and my career..they are trying to drop that guys classes from the ciriculum period..hopefully i kill my buck tomorrow or saturday and dont have to worry about rifle season...havent missed opening day in 9 years though..its a PA thing....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

drhntr178, and Joey. Excellent deer, guys! You certainly have the bucks around, so it's only a matter of time until more fall!

Well, as you know, I've been struggling here late in the game, and getting pretty frustrated. I'll update you on this week so far. Monday evening, I was back out at my food plot stand. I had a nice 6 point enter the field down where my old stand used to be. He came in slightly, and then turned and headed out toward the pasture where he had a few doe waiting. He eventually came back through and crossed by me at 30yds just at dark (no chance for a shot, as I couldn't even see my pins).

Tuesday, found me down at the other end of the plot trying to head him off. I ended up only seeing a spike chase a doe around the plot for a little while. As I went to my stand on Tuesday, I noticed our corn had been picked. That lead to my decision yesterday which almost resulted in me getting a shot on the biggest buck I've seen.

Last night, I decided to give my stand on the inside edge of a corn field inside a finger separating that field and another (Rybo, you might remember this spot from my map...you suggested hunting it earlier this year). This stand was slow all year round with the corn still standing, but tonight was totally different. Now that the corn was picked, they were everywhere! I no longer got into my stand when I had a spike (same guy from last night) chasing a doe all over behind me. Aroun 4:45, a group of 4 yearlings, and two bucks came in. One was the 6 point from Monday night, and although I was hoping for bigger, I decided I would take him if he presented a shot. Well, he never did, but the little 3 point he was with did (obviously), but I certainly wasn't taking him. Then all of a sudden they both got a bit spooky, and just ran away (but out into the field, not back into cover). Shortly after, that small spike came out to harass the yearlings feeding in front of me, then he got spooky and bolted. I couldn't figure it out. It was about dark, and I decided to start packing up, when I hear crunching coming from the thick stuff to my left. All of the yearlings are at attention now, so I'm thinking this has to be another buck. Sure enough, out comes (what I would guess) a heavy 120" 8 point at 20yds! I'm frantically putting my arrow back on, and fumbling to get my release out of my pocket, and once I'm all set, he's now at 20yds, but facing me. He doesn't see me, but I just needed him to turn a little bit, but he didn't. He just turned around end for end and walked out into the field further and further until he was gone. I was basically five steps from getting a shot

I'm curious...do you think as long as the wind is right for this stand (which it's going to be from here on out through Sat), should I keep at it? What are the chances he was just cruising through? Or do you think he's a regular? I haven't seen him before, but it would be hard to believe that he isn't the boss in town. He walked like it, and looked like it. I would say a solid 3.5yr for sure. He would have absolutley been my biggest buck by far.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like you might be in the right spot Matt...sounds like a place the does are hanging out, which will draw the bucks in for you....probably not a bad idea to give it atleast another shot...

i'll be heading out here shortly...radar looks like the monsoon might clear up...light rain dont bother me...but i dont like heavy rains just because of the blood trail factor...figured it would be best to get a couple hours sleep and stay dry so i aint soaked to the bone all day...too chilly to sit there soaked...i know i wouldnt last long once i was wet..guess i'll head back up to the SGLs...nowhere else to go except home...maybe now that they are starting to move, i'll finally see them...

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.