Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Anyone still hunting with a bow here?

ANyone still deer hunting in general?

I took a doe this saturday with my handgun, 44 mag SBH. Saw 18 deer total, no bucks. My Dad took a doe & saw 30 deer and one small buck.

I've still got 4 more doe tags & my PA buck tag, I'll be out doing some more sporadic hunting well into january,
Old 12-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Job Rybo!

I went out hunting with my wife over the weekend. We saw a few doe's and a couple small bucks, but nothing worth shooting. We'll be back at it again, until the end of the year. I have 4 days off during the Jan Doe season to fill the freezer.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, mauser is done.....atleast till late flintlock i'll take the flintlock doe hunting...

saturday i decided to ride upto my buddies camp again...not really much going on here at home...and saturdays we dont push our good woods because they get crowded...sitting in a ravine watching the other side and spotted a bunch of deer coming...atleast 5-8 deer...all slickheads except 1....i seen it was wide...put legal points on him (3 to a side up there) and put a bullet through his heart...he made it 15yds and piled up...i knew right away he looked like an older deer...got upto him and he had a horse of a body...

would been a nice 6...but he was busted up bad...15 1/4 wide...beams are both roughly 15"...g2 is about 6" other side brow is about 2" the other brow is snapped about smooth and the other g2 is about an inch and a half...(he had the good brow on the busted g2 side) i dont know how old he is, but everyone that seen him thinks he is an old deer on the decline...doesnt look like a 2.5yo buck...

no pics of me with the deer just some hanging before i skinned and quartered him...decided to come right home from camp due to winter weather moving in...made the right choice because i would been snowed in without 4wd...but on a saturday night, noone was around to take pics...battery in the camera was dead in the woods...likely from being in the cold so much and not being checked [:'(]

so mauser is outta the contest...sorry guys....when i seen him, i couldnt pass him...hes my "biggest" and definently oldest buck...i got finals this week and our late season usually doesnt produce much in terms of antlers...exspecially this year we wont have 2 from our already small late season crew...

skull is being boiled as i type...hopefully the teeth stay intact...id like to look at them good...from what i could see when i skinned the skull out, i think he was and old deer...would been a nice 6 if he werent busted up so bad....hide is huge...i think i'll send it to be tanned...any other hide i get that big will likely be one for the wall so i wont get the hide...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck Mauser, way to go man. Post up some pics of that skull.

Here's my doe. You can't really tell from the pic, but she was HUGE. A group of 12, yes 12 slowly fed in on me and I picked out the closest big one. I could have shot her with my bow,she was 20 yds in a clear shooting lane.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx Ryan! i'll post some pics if/when i find my camera cord....skull should be done today or tomorrow(buddy boiled it today) will be home friday...wish i had good field pics...even with just the buck before i gutted it...hard to tell the size of a deer hangin in the garage...and they just look like crap....

oh well nothin i can do....wasnt long ago the only pics i DID take were hangin from the meat pole or on the tailgate...

congrats on the doe!! she looks like a cow! is that a ruger?? what caliber?? i just might have to venture into the realm of pistol hunting...but know nothing about hunting pistols really...i just know i need a change of pace...thats why i picked up the flintlock and the bow....next is pistol i think...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser,

Handgun hunting is a blast. My gun is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with a weaver 2x scope. Single action 44 mag.
I load my own, I like the Hornady 240 gr XTP. I’ve also used the speer Gold Dot 270 gr. If I ever hunted bear or things larger than deer I would go with the GD’d, but for deer the XTP’s do a hurting on them just fine.

I’m not a fan of recoil so going any higher than a 44 wasn’t something I wanted to do. Although the 480 Ruger is supposed to have better performance but with the same recoil of a 44. As with most things out there, a ton of info is available on the internet, but there’s really not THAT much to know to get started. Keep it as basic as you can, a 44 mag is a perfect place to start. Take only good chest shots at the ranges you are accurate & you are good to go.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Hey guys, sorry its been so long. End of the semester crunch!!!

I will be out next week. I have to wait for this weekends antlerless only gun hunt to end then it is back to the woods for me.

Plenty of snow here should make finding where they go pretty easy.

Pines
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

Hey guys, sorry its been so long. End of the semester crunch!!!

I will be out next week. I have to wait for this weekends antlerless only gun hunt to end then it is back to the woods for me.

Plenty of snow here should make finding where they go pretty easy.

Pines
Good luck Theinespines3.

Captn, congrats on the buck, I look forward to the pics even if it's a "gun" kill. [8D]

So who else is left?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im still hunting. I shot my first deer with a blackpowder on sunday. A nice fat doe @ 15yds. She didnt go far w/ a gaping hole in her heart. Ill be back bowhunting this weekend again.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx Rob....till i obtain good land that isnt pressured like the lands i hunt now, i will forever continue to switch to the rifle and/or flintlock when the regular bow season ends...natural movement in daylight hours in my area is just about non-exsistant....for a couple years i tried stand hunting both rifle and flintlock seasons....if i seen deer, they were fully alert and were bumped or jumped by someone else...thats when i decided that i would not bowhunt outside the regular bowseasons...even those sightings were minimal next to opening day and saturdays when theres enough guys out to move deer...

thats the only reason i killed the buck i did...someone else bumped him and the does my direction...which is why i was sitting over a pretty nasty ravine...

i'll post pics when i find my camera cord...i didnt see it at home and its not here at school...i remember grabbing it before heading home...but i cant remember what i did with it...hopefully its at home somewhere...im real bummed about the lack of pics and NO good pics....i was doing well the last couple kills and got some decint pics...thats what happens when you leave batteries in the cold as long as i did...by the time i got home and got the camera a little charge, the deer was beyond stiff, gutted and bloody, and already hung to be butchered....ohhhh well live and learn....just like i learned not to use crappy film cameras...had one of them completely eat a rool of film from one of my spring turkeys...i was jacked....

i'll hafta measure him up just for kicks...broken tines kill it(probably 7" or so)...but id like to learn more on scoring so i can judge and learn more..im also hoping the teeth boiled out nicely so i can post pics of them...maybe someone will know how old he was...body and neck just tell me he isnt 2.5....could be wrong though...buddy knows i was REAL interested in the teeth and said he would try his best to keep the bottom jaws

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.