HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 - 2009 Firearm Deer Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-2009-firearm-deer-contest-99/)
-   -   Official Team 11 checkstop! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-2009-firearm-deer-contest/261483-official-team-11-checkstop.html)

Wlfdg 09-05-2008 06:14 AM

Official Team 11 checkstop!

Howdy All, Wlfdg checking in here from Teton Valley,Idaho. My season begins Oct. 10th.

Theinespines3 09-05-2008 05:19 PM

RE: Official Team 11 checkstop!

I am checking in. I will be hunting northern WI, shawano County.

I will be after a couple of 8 pointers this year with either my .44 Mag S&W or my Win. model 94 in .44 mag

Pines

madvilledoc 09-05-2008 10:04 PM

Hey guys. Officially checking in. Hope we can do some damage this year. I'm from Southern WV, but I hunt in both Ohio and West Virginia. In WV, I primarily use my Ruger M77 Mark II 270. In Ohio, I'm going with something different this year. I recently purchased a Marlin 512 Slugmaster. I am anxious to try it out.

I guess we need to think of a name. I'll give it some thought.

Mark

Here is Team 11:
1. 130woodman Wisconsin
2. melsheeba – Michigan
3. Wlfdg – Idaho
4. madvilledoc - West Virginia & Ohio
5. backstrp fever-ny
6. JasonLester – Ohio

7. Amateurhunter44857-Ohio
8. bryant1 – Florida
9. Wykoffwonder MN
10. Theinespines—Wisconsin

130woodman 09-06-2008 11:23 AM

Checking in what ever yuo guy's want to name it is fine with me. Hunting my land in WI.

madvilledoc 09-06-2008 08:45 PM

How about something like the Omega Crew for a name or some play off the word omega, after all we are the buck's final destination. Some possibilities:

Omega Crew
Orega Team
Order of the Omega
Terminal Ten
Cardiac Crushers
Gut Shot Gimps
P&Y Posse

melsheeba 09-07-2008 03:51 PM

melsheeba checking in, hunt michigan in the shotgun area. Doesn't matter to me what you name the team.

Jasonlester 09-07-2008 06:45 PM

Checking in. I'm in Ohio and hunt with a Remington 870 Slug gun that has never let me down.

my avatar is last years buck. I got one on camera a little smaller but doesn't look to bad. poor picture unfortunatly though. Need to get the cam back out.

Anyone have and pics of deer your hunting for?

wykoffwonder 09-07-2008 07:35 PM

wonder here

Checking in from MN, myRemington 870 lets me down all the time but I think it is my shoting skills more than the gun. I just keep shooting until I get lucky. Minnesota will open on the 8th of Nov. Who in are group get the earliest chance to bring home the bacon.

Best of luck to all!

backstrap fever 09-07-2008 09:22 PM

my season opens oct 18 for muzzleloader i hunt upstate ny looks like i am alone in the north i will do my best there is a mossy horned 6 year old that has eluded me for 3 years on the piece i hunt he just keeps gettin bigger

AmateurHunter44857 09-07-2008 10:46 PM

I be here, Hunt in Ohio, Gun Season starts on my Birthday this year i believe, December 1st. Hunt with a 500 with rifled slug barrel. Last year was my first year hunting, shot a nice doe.

bryant1 09-08-2008 06:37 AM

I'mchecking in.My muzzleloader season starts on Oct 25th and the bucks will be at the peak of the rut at that time. General gun starts Nov. 8th andgoes to Jan 18th. I have a couple nice 8pts I will be stillhunting, but most of myhunting will consist of hunting in front of dogs with my Browning BAR 308. Nothing is more exciting than hearing a big buck crashing through the brush and water heading your way with a pack of hounds on him in full chase.

Wlfdg 09-08-2008 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester
Anyone have and pics of deer your hunting for?
I tried to. I scouted this tall 5X5 mulie for most of the summer. End of August the ATV's appeared and he disappeared[:@]. I know where he sleeps;) At least I think I do if he is still in the area? That's why they call it hunting!:D

I hunt with a Vanguard 7mm.Rem.Mag w/ a Burris 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex ret.

What are the rules?

madvilledoc 09-08-2008 10:35 AM

Wow. Everyone has checked in. I believe we are the first team to do so. Hope this will equate into a nice season for this team.

Wlfdg, the rules are copied below:

2008 - 2009 Deer Contest Rules

1.Deer must taken legal and ethical as laws apply in the,
State your hunting including tags or what ever your state requires.
This includes the antler specifications for each individual state.

2. Gun and Muzzle Loader only. NO BOWS!!!!
There’s a contest for bows in bow hunting forum.

Rifle and Muzzle Loader calibers must be - as laws apply in the state your hunting.
You must have valid hunting license as required per state.

No poaching or night hunting allowed period.

A handgun - as laws apply in the state your hunting.
You must have validation of a handgun hunting license as required per state.
Or as laws apply in the state your hunting

A shotgun - as laws apply in the state your hunting

3. Antlered deer only including antlered doe, if it's tagged with a buck tag it's in.

4. Will be using the Boone & Crockett Gross scoring system,
Green scores w/ no deductions.
Typical or Non-Typical bucks...
Link to Boone & Crockett scoring system and instructions:
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/bc_scoring_typwhitetail.asp?area=bgRecords&typ e=Typical+Whitetail+Deer

5. No more than 10 persons per team.
If the last team is less than 10 members the remaining will be picked,
From the alternates list starting with the first alternate.

Alternates list will start after 12 midnight August 31 - 2008

Alternate's when necessary starting with first come first serve.
I and or a mod/mods will oversee it.
Team members have until October 31st 2008 @ 12 midnight to,
Check in or you will be replaced by alternate.

6. Deadline to join is, (August 31 - 2008 - 12 Midnight)
You may join the alternate list, see rule 5.

7. You must have a picture posted on the contest page within the,
Official Score Card thread to enter a deer.
The Deer must have a tag visible (if tags apply to your state),
No skull pictures, no rack pictures - the Deer the gun and yourself,
Must be in the picture.

The picture MUST be in a Tasteful manner as to promote hunting,
(No Blood and Gore Pictures will be Allowed)

If the Deer is all bloody clean it up before the picture and
Hide the big hole from bullet.
Remember this is to promote hunting not degrade it.

8. Total number of inches of all team members’
Bucks will decide the winner see rule 4.

9. You must enter the first or second gun kill antlered deer you get ,
The second deer for you lucky states Will count.
But only one score counts.
Your score counts with your team total. = 10 scores per team.

10. No penned shot deer accepted,
Deer must be a free range wild animal regardless - private or public land.
No deer shot more than twenty two times will be accepted either.

11. All disagreements, controversies and conflicts will be decided on,
by a majority vote from a panel consisting of Team Captains and or,
Moderators participating within the contest.
Each team will pick your own team Captain.

THOSE decisions will be FINAL.

12. Any and All offensive, derogatory and or argumentative posts will be removed.
By either Admin or Moderators that are watching this particular sub-forum.
And any team member can be replaced by an alternate.

If anyone has a suggestion or something you feel I may have missed.
And should perhaps be added or removed please post it here for the time being.

Please clean up the deer and put the toung back in the mouth.
We want tasteful pictures.

Thank You and Good Luck

jrbsr

madvilledoc 09-08-2008 10:42 AM

Amateurhunter and JasonLester,

Where do you guys hunt in Ohio? I hunt in Noble County on 200 acres of family land that borders Ohio Power. There are some pretty nice bucks in that area. I've taken a 125 class buck there each of the last 2 years.

I leased some land a few years ago outside of Bainbridge, Ohio in the southern part of the state, just west of Chillcothe, but it got to be too expensive and took me too long to get there (3 hours). I also had the land in Noble that didn't cost me anything, so I ended up dropping the lease.

Mark

130woodman 09-15-2008 01:11 PM

Hey fella's what's up? Made it back from my first bow hunt of the year. I saw 3 bucks and 3 does. It rained all weekend. I hunt with either a Remington 7mm or a 30/30 Contender. I hope to tag a good 1 this year with a gun but will have to wait and see what happens. Gun season for me is the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I would take the 2 bigger bucks in this pic that 8 needs 1 more year.

melsheeba 09-15-2008 04:37 PM

I think I need to come hunt where you hunt 180 woodsman

Jasonlester 09-20-2008 08:52 AM

madvilledoc,

I hunt north east of Cincinnati. Warren and Clinton Counties. Last years buck scored 153" shot in Warren county

I also recently found out I have permission on 500 private acres in Virginia (wifes families land). So I may have to find a way to take a trip down there.

Jason

wykoffwonder 09-25-2008 07:30 PM

Guys

I went hunting last weekend in SE MN. We saw a lot of deer (40) I can't believe it because it was so hot out. There was a ton of little bucks and one of my friends took a ok 8pt. about 120 in. I will be waiting for the big one, the buck we named the wykoffwonder. The Rack Shack is coming along it is a 50 x 70 shed with 2000 sq ft. of man's paridice inside.

Pete

wykoffwonder 10-04-2008 07:52 PM

Anyone around

In 6 days I will be heading out to Craig CO for Elk hunting. The whitetails in MN are starting to get active I am hoping to do some more bowhunting and scouting before the 8th of Nov. "the big day." Have any of you been seeing nice bucks around?

130woodman 10-08-2008 09:09 AM

Some of you guy's might have seen this already but I connected bow hunting.

Theinespines3 10-08-2008 07:56 PM

Nice buck...even though your not on my bow team!!!!!

I doe hunt next week and then its wait till nov. to hunt for bucks.....Found the spot though!!! Cant wait!

Pines

130woodman 10-08-2008 08:39 PM

Thanks and good luck too ya

ORIGINAL: Theinespines3

Nice buck...even though your not on my bow team!!!!!

I doe hunt next week and then its wait till nov. to hunt for bucks.....Found the spot though!!! Cant wait!

Pines

bryant1 10-13-2008 09:00 AM

Here are the bucks i have taken during archery season, but hopefully I will get a bigger one during general gun season while running dogs.

130woodman 10-13-2008 12:17 PM

Congrat's on the buck.

Karlos29 10-13-2008 11:39 PM

Hello Everyone From Las Vegas, NV I will be down at my families ranch in the Hill Country of Texas. A two hour trip from San Antonio, Texas.

Team is
Carlos I. JR.
Carlos I. III
Cris I.
Rudy I.

Will keep you posted with pictures, white tail deer watch out..

wykoffwonder 10-18-2008 12:34 PM

Hello everyone

I am back from elk hunting in CO. We had a great time and I got some meat in the freezer. A cow, but it will work. I pasted on a small 5X5 we'll let him grow up a few years so someone has a chance at a true trophy. Remember pass on the young ones and shot the old ones, butlet the kids kill what ever comes in.

Theinespines3 10-21-2008 06:14 PM

Well i was out hunting with the Winchester model 94 .44 mag.......Got a doe it was does only this past weekend.

She came out about 100 yards....open sights and took her double lung. She is a small one, but thats cool with me. Some tender meat and still room in the deep freeze.

Buck hunt will be in mid november.

Kepp up the good work yall
Pines

bryant1 10-22-2008 12:52 PM

Last Fridayi saw a nice buck and another smaller buck running does about 100 yds from my stand.I alsokilled 2 more bucks this past saturday, a 4pt and a 5pt. Then again on Sunday afternoon I let a 4 pt walk and i missed a nice 8 pt(that i think was the bigger buck i saw running a doe friday). I was just over confident and cut some belly hair and he walked off about 40 yds and looked back like nothing was wrong. As soon as the does came back, he soon followed although he never got broadside again. I would guess he would score somewhere in the low 100s, and my dad saw another buck on our private land that will also score in the 110s, not bad for FLorida really..

I start muzzleloader season Friday afternoon and i have off some next week, so i should be able to at least put us on the board quickly;)

wykoffwonder 10-23-2008 03:20 PM

Congrat Bryant1

How many deer can you guys shot? Are there any 160 to 180 inch deer every taken?

bryant1 10-24-2008 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: wykoffwonder

Congrat Bryant1

How many deer can you guys shot? Are there any 160 to 180 inch deer every taken?
2 deer a day is the only limit/no tags.

Very few deer are ever taken in Florida that score 160, unless they are in a high fence. My dad killed a 135 last year, but most of the time our 'bigger' bucksscore in the low 100s. We hunt inlarge hunting clubs that are closer to public land than actual hunting clubs, and anything club legal(2 pts on 1 side) gets shot. We kill alot of deer, but 99% of us are meat hunters. I might not be a high scorer, but i am consistently taking bucks during the deer season. Muzzleloader season started today on public land and me and a friend of mine are hunting this afternoon to get in ahunt before the private land opening daytomorrow. good luck everybody

bryant1 10-28-2008 06:22 AM

I took a 5pt with my muzzleloader saturday morning, butI haven't beensent the pics yet.

wykoffwonder 11-04-2008 08:15 PM

Congrats Bryant

I am heading down to SE MN this weekend for the opener things are looking good. Our corn is still in but I don't think it will effect me much. The weather should be great around 30 F and the deer should be chasing. I am looking for 140 or better or I have to pass land owner rules. I will also be passing up the doe I will shot at them with the muzzleloader or the bow.

Good Luck to all

130woodman 11-06-2008 12:43 PM

I got 2 weeks until gun season but things aren't looking good. Not alot of buck sign.

wykoffwonder 11-10-2008 05:32 PM

Hello everyone

I had a great weekend. I shot a 14 pt. 262lbs. 153inch whitetail. Picture will be in shortly and then I will send in the score card.

130woodman 11-11-2008 06:14 PM

Congrat's Sounds like a great buck.

Hello everyone

I had a great weekend. I shot a 14 pt. 262lbs. 153inch whitetail. Picture will be in shortly and then I will send in the score card.

Jasonlester 11-13-2008 07:06 AM

Hello everyone

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Still have to wait here in Ohio. I'm taking the first two days of gun off if I haven't got a buck yet. My duaghteris headed out for youth gun season and hopefully she'll get a shot for her first. She nickeda does back with a crossbow (hit atree limb)it was a bit dissapointing.I'd rather see her get onethan get one myself...

wykoffwonder 11-14-2008 03:56 PM

Team 11

Here is a picture of the buck I took on the 8th of Nov. He scores 152 7/8, weight 262 lbs, and has 14 scoreble points. You already know mydefinition of luck. Keep hunting and good LUCK!

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/pehresmann/14-pointer11.jpg

wykoffwonder 11-16-2008 02:14 PM

Team 11

The score and the picture are in the score card. Please make sure you take pictures with the gun, tag, deer, and yourself together. There seems to be confusion in this department! Good luck to all the cheeseheads this weekend. Shot a big one and the Packers win on the same day, it makes for one great weekend.

Theinespines3 11-18-2008 08:31 PM

headed up north this weekend for the buck hunt. Will let you know how it goes. This weekend and then after turkey day as well.

Got my doe on the board as of now, so that was another 25 points up for us.

Keep it up!

shoot straight
Pines

wykoffwonder 11-18-2008 08:49 PM

Theinesspines

Nice work on the doe, are you in an Earn a Buck area?

Go Jets