HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2008 - 2009 Firearm Deer Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-2009-firearm-deer-contest-99/)
-   -   Team 16 - Widow Makers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2008-2009-firearm-deer-contest/261386-team-16-widow-makers.html)

olsplittoe 09-08-2008 08:45 PM

RE: Team 16 Thread

Today was the archery opener for Celeveland Co. NC, and man did it get started off right for me. I know that this didn't help the team but I couldn't pass him up. He was a small 8pt.basket rack probely 2.5 years old but still in full velvet. He'll make a nice skull mount. This was my first nice boned buck with a bow.
I think Widow Makers will do just fine.
And a big Howdy to UFunny2.

WesternMdHardwoods 09-08-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: olsplittoe

Today was the archery opener for Celeveland Co. NC, and man did it get started off right for me. I know that this didn't help the team but I couldn't pass him up. He was a small 8pt.basket rack probely 2.5 years old but still in full velvet. He'll make a nice skull mount. This was my first nice boned buck with a bow.
And a big Howdy to UFunny2.

Man card Violation!!!! Wheres the pics?

npaden 09-09-2008 11:59 AM

RE: Team 16 Thread.

Okay, just checking in really quick while I'm out of town at a conference. I added UFunny2 to the list and that leaves us with 2 left to check in. I sent the PM's with receipt confirmation and the remaining two have not read their PMs yet.

I somehow messed up and didn't turn my camera on last time before I left so no new pictures to share.

BUCKMARK 09-09-2008 01:58 PM

Nathan. did you want to be our team captian? and what do you think about WIDOW MAKERS as our team name?

olsplittoe 09-09-2008 04:39 PM

Yes I know I committed a crime, but.... Any excuse isn't good enough I know. Thanks to lightning we lost phones, modums, computer,moniters, and thefour in onecopy, print, scaner, and fax. Should have that one next week. Then you will get the pic,s. I'm just glad the house didn't burn down, been thru that before.
The buck was a 2.5 year old according to the teeth. The rack as I said earlier was a small basket, I'd be suprised if it scored much over a hundred inchs if that, but he was still in full velvet. This was again the first buck with a bow other than a spike last year, so to me it wasagreathunt.
This hunt also took place in a new spot on new property, so if I can just wait till the rut starts, but you know that if Mr.Big steps out the shaft will be loosed. But now I've drawn first blood I can start to load up on the doe's. We have an open season for doe's in the county I live in, and season opens this Saturday. I've had great luck over the past few years and have taken at least five deer per season.I see no reason this year wont be at least as good.

olsplittoe 09-09-2008 05:31 PM

I also posted some pic's of some of my past kills in my gallery. Take a look and let me know what you think.

UFunny2 09-09-2008 06:22 PM

Today was the archery opener for Celeveland Co. NC, and man did it get started off right for me. I know that this didn't help the team but I couldn't pass him up. He was a small 8pt. basket rack probely 2.5 years old but still in full velvet. He'll make a nice skull mount. This was my first nice boned buck with a bow.
And a big Howdy to UFunny2. ORIGINAL: olsplittoe
Congrats...and thanks! Always nice to start a season off successfully. I still have to wait another 3 weeks from Saturday for our bow opener. I have access to about 2100 acres of beautiful property. 1500 of it is managed for quality. We have about 50 acres of food plots that have been loaded with deer. Visited there this weekend and counted about 80 deer. Some had decent racks, but my binocs couldn't get me close enough for a count, but they were way above the ears. Last year I passed on 5 different 8 ptrs, I know there are larger deer on the property. Our rule is 8 pts or better. I did go buckless there last year, but harvested 6 doe. The state allows us to take 50 antlerless off the property for management purposes. We've done that for four years now, but the place is still loaded with does. It's not club property and only 5 of us hunt it.

The other 600 acres is a newly purchased parcel. I scouted it it two weeks ago and saw many does and a few bucks. A tall 6pt, a couple 4s and several spikes. I couldn't find a single rub from last season. Thought that was odd, but the deer are there. It's the same landowner as the above property, but he has other plans for this parcel and there probably won't be any AR's on it.

Anyway, those are my two major areas to hunt. I plan on taking a week off for bow season and two weeks off in Nov for ML season, then the week after Christmas.

BUCKMARK 09-09-2008 11:18 PM

Welcome to the team...UFunny2...sounds like you have one hell of a setup there...

npaden 09-10-2008 09:30 AM

Yes, welcome to the team UFunny2.

Widow Makers sounds fine to me. I'm an accountant so not a lot of creativity here. Do we need to wait for the last 2 guys before we decide on the name?

I went back through my pictures and did have a new buck in there but just one group of pictures.

He's the one in the middle. The one on the right is Split G2 and I've already had pictures of him. I would love to be able to pass on both of these guys this year. That would mean that I would have already shot Double Wide or Stickers because otherwise I don't think I could hold off if I saw either one. Not sure because it is hard to age them at this time of the year, but I think they are both 3 year olds.

crokit 09-10-2008 03:04 PM

Welcome aboard UFUNNY2!