Community
2007 HNI 5-Spot League Questions, comments, concerns, and trash-talk about the 2007 5-Spot league go here!

Standings after week 1..

Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Standings after week 1..

Shouldn't those who shot a 300 for this week be sorted by their X count as well?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Does anything look a little funny to you guys?????

From my PGA background....I realize the purpose of a handicap is to get golfers (insert archers if you will) back to par (insert 300, if you will). The probablility of a golfer actually shooting his handicap is relatively low.

Why is it so many people seem to shoot at or better than their handicap in archery?

Just looks funny. I'd like to understand it better.

Thanks.
This is exactly why many think handicap should be adjusted each week.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Well.....it's not for any money....so I saw/see no need to embellish or "pad" my hcp. Heck...I wish I didn't have one! It's just VERY unusual in golf for one to shoot their handicap.......and it usually means their hcp isn't accurate.

I've never been involved in anything archery like this, though.....and I'll continue to try every shot and write every score down. I can compete in my 3D league and in our archery shop 3D tournaments....but I'm getting my axx handed to me in this league....lol.

Oh well.....[&:]
Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

From my PGA background....I realize the purpose of a handicap is to get golfers (insert archers if you will) back to par (insert 300, if you will). The probablility of a golfer actually shooting his handicap is relatively low.

Why is it so many people seem to shoot at or better than their handicap in archery?

Thanks.

Most of these guys (including myself) have fired very few arrows since last fall. Your first few rounds you are basically brushing the dust off.

Inormally shoot a298-300 5 spot round when in league form. It takes a little time to get back into the swing of things.

If you hadn't golfed in 4 months and went to shoot two rounds to determine your handicap, are you saying you wouldn't be able to consistently beat those scores down the road? Stop being so critical of everything and just enjoy.

Well.....it's not for any money....so I saw/see no need to embellish or "pad" my hcp. Heck...I wish I didn't have one! It's just VERY unusual in golf for one to shoot their handicap.......and it usually means their hcp isn't accurate.
Also, once again this isn't golf and of course youcan't have an accurate handicap after two "scratch" scores. This league is for fun and to help everyone participatingbecome a better archer.
[/align]
Old 01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

If you hadn't golfed in 4 months and went to shoot two rounds to determine your handicap, are you saying you wouldn't be able to consistently beat those scores down the road? Stop being so critical of everything and just enjoy.
If I hadn't golfed in four months and played two rounds to establish my handicap..........

........my handicap would be INACCURATE.

Wrong analogy.....

It would NOT be a FAIR representation of my golfing ability.

That being said......I won't say anything else. Have fun.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Thanks.
I think that's because of the way the handicap was calculated. I believe (and I'm really stretching my memory here) that an actual handicap has to encompass your last 5 tournament scores? As long as the rules that are set apply equally to everyone, as they do, I guess it doesn't much matter. It does make the score sheet look a bit top heavy though.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I hadn't golfed in four months and played two rounds to establish my handicap..........

........my handicap would be INACCURATE.

Wrong analogy.....

It would NOT be a FAIR representation of my golfing ability.

You just made my exact point....... These handicaps are inaccurate, so therefor the analogy is correct.

Also, once again this isn't golf and of course youcan't have an accurate handicap after two "scratch" scores. This league is for fun and to help everyone participatingbecome a better archer.
You can't expect these guys to shoot 10 handicap rounds and then 10 weeks of league. A lot of these guys are shooting outdoors in the winter for their league scores, give them a break and work on bringing your scores up and don't worry about theirs.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye.....why the hostility? I'm only trying to learn the "system".

If you usually shoot 298-300......then your hcp should be what???? Hey....you have to look at like I am (and I know nothing about it, admittedly). Doesn't that sound flawed (to have a hcp of 8 or so)?

I'm not begrudging why everyone else is shooting high scores.....I'm trying to understand why I'm so bad compared to the field!....lol

Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Everyone has a valid complaint but at the same time we are starting to see what all this shooting is intended to do for us. We will all improve and in most cases it has started already in the first week. I will admit that I am not in total agreeance with getting a couple handicap points for myself. As Buckeye said, most people are dusting their stuff off. For me I switched to an entirely new bow right as the contest started and I was still in the process of getting it set up the way I like it and the way it shoots the best for me. I've got it dialed in now.

The system may in some eyes not be perfect but the fact that everyone is shooting now and not sitting around is the best part of this whole league. How many times would some guys have shot by this time last year were there not a league this year. I have increased my practice time even this year to shooting about 5 days a week for at least 3 or 4 hours those days. So everyone keep shooting and keep improving.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buckeye.....why the hostility? I'm only trying to learn the "system".

If you usually shoot 298-300......then your hcp should be what???? Hey....you have to look at like I am (and I know nothing about it, admittedly). Doesn't that sound flawed (to have a hcp of 8 or so)?

I'm not begrudging why everyone else is shooting high scores.....I'm trying to understand why I'm so bad compared to the field!....lol
There is no hostility.... Didn't mean to come across like that. Should I have a 6 point hadicap? No way! Wait until you see how much a lot of guys will bring their scores up. I bet you see guys shooting 40 points higher at the end of the league than their scratch scores were! It is a lot easier to shoot good 5 spot scores than golf scores, this is the main difference between the two handicap systems.

In a perfect world we would all be shooting indoors with at least 5 - 10 scratch rounds for our handicap. It is just to much to ask from a lot of guys shooting outdoors in below freezing temps.

To me the guys roughing it outdoors are the real winners in this league.

Quick Reply: Standings after week 1..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.