HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   Does in archery contest for 2008? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/219919-does-archery-contest-2008-a.html)

LLBUX 11-28-2007 08:25 AM

Does in archery contest for 2008?

I move the HNI Bowhunting contest accept does in the 2008 contest. A doe can worth 50 points with the possibilty of upgrading to a higher score with a buck.

Rationale:
1.We simply need to kill more does in most areas of the country. Any incentive to do so can only improve deer hunting by removing excess does from the population.

2.It would allow more people to'Score' for their team.

3.All states' hunters would be on even ground as we all can take extra does.

4.This would allow a hunter to upgrade and enter a buckhe may kill later on in the season.

5.Above all, it would help remove excess does.

Downside-

1.It will create extra work for the guys who moderate the contest.

Sincerely,

LLBUX

WV Hunter 11-28-2007 08:59 AM

RE: Does in archery contest for 2008?

First doe with a bow...what if I killed one with a gun first? ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist

mauser06 11-28-2007 09:25 AM

this been talked about a couple times this year....

if it happens, i wanna be on GMATTs team :D

i personally dont take does from most of the areas i bowhunt. why?? we underwent major herd reduction in PA and took ALOT of does. rifle hunters still take does...this bow season i didnt identify 1 true doe. many identified bucks, many unidentified deer, some of which may have been does and others i believe were bucks by body size and language..they are out there, but not in numbers like they used to be...in my eyes, the herd is about perfect in the areas i bowhunt alot...so i choose not to take them...yes, if im in an area and see alot of does i wont hesitate to take one...love venison in the freezer...but most the time the does get a free pass to go get bred and drop me more bucks...

rybohunter 11-28-2007 09:51 AM

We can't even get thru this thing smoothly the way it is, we don't need anymore complications.

jmbuckhunter 11-28-2007 09:39 PM

NO
What are you gonna measure on a doe to come up with a score. This contest is for the total inches of ANTLER!!!!!

I shoot does too, but not for this contest.

SouthDakotaHunter 11-28-2007 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

We can't even get thru this thing smoothly the way it is, we don't need anymore complications.
Amen

Also - not all area's have excessive doe numbers. I had shooting opportunites at 4 bucks this season before I tagged out (in about 25 sits) and ZERO opportunities at does...

Scott/IL 11-28-2007 10:13 PM

I see the same arguments over first witha gun/bow conflict. Some areas have higher deer densities than others. I shoot enough does each year to feel like I am doing my part for the herd. However I don't feel like there should be some kind of point system setup to add "inches" onto your teams score.

Fieldmouse 11-29-2007 12:44 AM

Well considering I've shot 5 already, I don't want it in the contest. I would rather see us give full support to Rob and anyone else who wants this contest to continue.

Thanks again Rob. Please PM me if you need any help pushing this through.

GMMAT 11-29-2007 06:28 AM

I brought htis up a while back.....thinking it was a great idea. I think differently, now. What I fear (if does were implemented) is people signing up.....thinking they could contribute to the team by shooting a doe....and then not giving it their best effort on a buck.

This contest, NO MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED, was designed to be a buck contest. I'm for giving the people who initiated the contest getting to decide what their original intent was. I think they want it to be a buck contest.

So....My mind was changed. I'm NOT for allowing does in the contest.

Planter 11-29-2007 07:55 AM

This is a buck contest and should remain that way "IF" it remains at all.If someone wanted to invest their time and energy into running a doe only contest of some sort then fine but there would be as many rules to work out as there are in Rob's deal
Can't imagine people are gonna be lining up to undertake that chore..