Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14) >

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Okay, This is the way it is!

Hmmmmm---With over 100,000 members on HNI,why not just have one,big,contest for all weapons combined.Say 25 per team.First buck shot by whatever means has to be entered and scored.
No bonus points for archery,muzzleloader etc,if you choose to shoot the deer by whatever means then its entered--Period.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just re-read the entire post and has anyone actually provided a logical reason for 9b besides Rob? All the arguments are against it. Rob, have you and Justin been voting more than once ??
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: extreme1

Hmmmmm---With over 100,000 members on HNI,why not just have one,big,contest for all weapons combined.Say 25 per team.First buck shot by whatever means has to be entered and scored.
No bonus points for archery,muzzleloader etc,if you choose to shoot the deer by whatever means then its entered--Period.
LOL, and you think THIS is a cluster...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey I got one, here is my picture, my bow is under the deer in the middle

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Site Bouncer

Whew..... Ok I just read the entire thread (this is what you get for being late to the party!)

I have afew thoughts about this subject. (this is going to be long)

This is a bow hunting contest, so even if you live in a multi buck state (like me) and shoot a big buck with yourgun there is still no guarantee you will do the same with your bow...or even shoot one with your bow at all,so I just don't see the advantage. The true advantage (truth be told) is some states have a very generous season like here in Illinois Oct.1st to the middle of January while others don't.

Livingin Illinois or other "long season" states gives you WAY moreof an advantage than how many bucks youcan kill.

Guys, this is a "for fun" contest, I actually think less rules would be better. I agree with the bow, hunter and deer should be in the picture as well as the score listed out by each measurement as we do it now.....but what more do you want? Any further rules will just magnify the distrust that has become apparent between forum members here.

At some point we must step back and take peoples word for it. Will we be lied to at some point? Yep I'm sure it will happen but if someone feels the need to go to such extreme just to "fit in" or to feel they are as "good a hunter" as others here then no amount of rules is going to change that and the deception will continue. If someone was going to enter a gun kill as a bow kill, they're going to do it anyway regardless of the rules. If it's obvious, then the captains vote and we move on.

What's to stop someone from killing a buck in September, not tell anyone, hunt the rest of the season for a bigger buck, come up empty then enter the September buck with a picture of the hunter, bow, full buck, all according to the rules but.....in his garage? No way to tell the time of year. Now we need to apply MORE rules, like someone suggested "pics from the field only". Where does it end?

I'm not intending to make this personal so I will keep this part as short as possible.

I know there has been some underlying contempt for the buck atlas posted because he posted it after a later archery buck was taken and a month or so after he killed it. Guys, he broke no rules and no matter how you feel about him personally, he has NEVER been dishonest in fact he is probably the polar opposite of dishonest.

What he does do is march to his own drum beat and he always has. This does not make him dishonest only different...is that bad? I'm not here to defend Atlas, he pretty good at that himself. We have disagreed on many points but I have never pegged him as dishonest, quite the opposite.

Back to the new rule:

What happens if the gun forum applies the same rules about first deer killed?? Now folks will have to pick between the two contests because you couldn't be in both. So much for bringing hunters together.This will put an even bigger split between gun hunters and bow hunters.

We have a pretty good set of rules and a way to enforce them (Captains vote) let's just keep it at that. People are going to cheat it's inevitable but this contest is for fun. Pick out the obvious and move on.

If it were for money I would be more than happy to come up with some pretty fail safe rules to ensure each and every one of the kills is a bow kill with tag numbers, dates and anything else needed in the picture. But that wouldn't be fun anymore and I certainly wouldn't participate.

If we all took Germ's approach to this, this contest would be full of fun with stories being told and friendships formed. We need to step back and look at where this is going.

later....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was beautiful Jim
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

That was beautiful Jim
It's John......but thanks anyway.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

How embarrassing!

(I meant to just type J but my fingers went faster than my brain)
Old 11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back Rob, knew you couldn't stay away . And thanks for your time you put into this contest.

I voted against 9b, First Buck with a BOW is simple enough for me to understand.

If you live in a one Buck tag state and shoot a buck with a gun who's falt is that? They can still Bowhunt the late season if they dont fill their buck tag in gun season and they know that when they enter the Bowhunting contest!

Fred Bear was the big promoter of the two season hunter and partially responsible for 2 buck tags in this state, He lured many a gun hunters into bowhunting. I cant see no reason to punish someone (or their team) that does both. After all it is first Bow killed Buck.

IF this 9b is to keep gun kills out of our Bowhunting contest then the contest should be over the first day of thefirst state to have a gun season!

As far as the 10 day thing goes, I wont go on an out of state hunt unless I have more than 10 days to hunt, and sure dont want to go looking for a computer to log in my buck if Im lucky enough to tag one.
I dont have a problem with it as long as the team captains (or someone) next year know and are willing to give a phone # to the members that hunt out of state so they can call and get an extension on posting their buck.

Hopefully this never becomes more of a problem than fun to play.

And thanks for allowing our 2 cents.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Whew..... Ok I just read the entire thread (this is what you get for being late to the party!)

I have afew thoughts about this subject. (this is going to be long)

This is a bow hunting contest, so even if you live in a multi buck state (like me) and shoot a big buck with yourgun there is still no guarantee you will do the same with your bow...or even shoot one with your bow at all,so I just don't see the advantage. The true advantage (truth be told) is some states have a very generous season like here in Illinois Oct.1st to the middle of January while others don't.

Livingin Illinois or other "long season" states gives you WAY moreof an advantage than how many bucks youcan kill.

Guys, this is a "for fun" contest, I actually think less rules would be better. I agree with the bow, hunter and deer should be in the picture as well as the score listed out by each measurement as we do it now.....but what more do you want? Any further rules will just magnify the distrust that has become apparent between forum members here.

At some point we must step back and take peoples word for it. Will we be lied to at some point? Yep I'm sure it will happen but if someone feels the need to go to such extreme just to "fit in" or to feel they are as "good a hunter" as others here then no amount of rules is going to change that and the deception will continue. If someone was going to enter a gun kill as a bow kill, they're going to do it anyway regardless of the rules. If it's obvious, then the captains vote and we move on.

What's to stop someone from killing a buck in September, not tell anyone, hunt the rest of the season for a bigger buck, come up empty then enter the September buck with a picture of the hunter, bow, full buck, all according to the rules but.....in his garage? No way to tell the time of year. Now we need to apply MORE rules, like someone suggested "pics from the field only". Where does it end?

I'm not intending to make this personal so I will keep this part as short as possible.

I know there has been some underlying contempt for the buck atlas posted because he posted it after a later archery buck was taken and a month or so after he killed it. Guys, he broke no rules and no matter how you feel about him personally, he has NEVER been dishonest in fact he is probably the polar opposite of dishonest.

What he does do is march to his own drum beat and he always has. This does not make him dishonest only different...is that bad? I'm not here to defend Atlas, he pretty good at that himself. We have disagreed on many points but I have never pegged him as dishonest, quite the opposite.

Back to the new rule:

What happens if the gun forum applies the same rules about first deer killed?? Now folks will have to pick between the two contests because you couldn't be in both. So much for bringing hunters together.This will put an even bigger split between gun hunters and bow hunters.

We have a pretty good set of rules and a way to enforce them (Captains vote) let's just keep it at that. People are going to cheat it's inevitable but this contest is for fun. Pick out the obvious and move on.

If it were for money I would be more than happy to come up with some pretty fail safe rules to ensure each and every one of the kills is a bow kill with tag numbers, dates and anything else needed in the picture. But that wouldn't be fun anymore and I certainly wouldn't participate.

If we all took Germ's approach to this, this contest would be full of fun with stories being told and friendships formed. We need to step back and look at where this is going.

later....

And with that post, and the current run on the poll it appears to me that rule 9b is dead and I don't have a problem with that.

9a however will remain but will be ammended...... slightly. We'll quote rybo on that one.

And as far as the time frame rule, all it takes is ONE email, PM, phone call, or whatever to buy yourself all the time you need. No big deal. I think once the team captain gets word, he can go in and enter a buck pending score & photos.
9a. There will be only a 14 day allowance to notify the contest committee of a buck down for the contest. The contest committee consisting of team captains, moderators and admin. It only takes an email, phone call, test message, post to team thread or post to the Bowhunting forum to report your kill. After that 14 day period the shooter is disqualified. This will ensure that no one is hunting for a second entry. Once notification has been made, entries only need entered by contest closure to be counted.

Quick Reply: Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.