Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14) >

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM

Default RE: Okay, This is the way it is!

Hey Rob. I didn't read through all this, but I'm very sorry for causing you any grief. While that wasn't my intent, that's what happened and I'm sorry man.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, Glad you are back.

I am for the FIRST archery buck taken that season,even if the person shot 50 bucks with a gun prior to that.

I also think the time frame rule is a good one. Team captains will need to be sure to emphasize this to thier members. Especially those going on trip hunts. And people are really going to need to quickly score the buck before they ship it off to the Taxi.

One last thing, but I know can never truly be enforced, are people that sign up and basically ignore the contest. I see people who participate regularly everywhere else on the site, but not in the contest forum and who also fail to enterthier buck, and honestly probably never intended to from the get go. (except maybe if they got a monster) this really ticks me off[:@][:@]
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow alot of talk over a contest that I can say was my first and having fun!!! Until Justin and Todd start forking over say a $1000 to each team member of the winning team it's all about fun here guys!!! I was just only hopeing to be able to lay some smack down on Germ when It was all over with!!!!I say 1st archery buck was pretty clear and if you need to put me on a team with all guys that only have 1 buck tag so be it, If they shot a buck with a gun because they didn't with a bow I will still slap them on the back and say congrats and heck if they show up at the get togather I will even buy them the first beer!!! Walt
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

Wow alot of talk over a contest that I can say was my first and having fun!!! Until Justin and Todd start forking over say a $1000 to each team member of the winning team it's all about fun here guys!!! I was just only hopeing to be able to lay some smack down on Germ when It was all over with!!!!I say 1st archery buck was pretty clear and if you need to put me on a team with all guys that only have 1 buck tag so be it, If they shot a buck with a gun because they didn't with a bow I will still slap them on the back and say congrats and heck if they show up at the get togather I will even buy them the first beer!!! Walt
I think I have you out doed', so back off[8D]
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I'm against it! I think "first archery buck" is good enough! No need to bring guns into it! I think the 1 tag states are in a minority, and if they use their one tag, on a gun buck, then that was "their" choice!

Not to make your job any harder Rob, but you could have the people who sign up, that only get 1 tag, let it be known, and make sure they don't all end up on 1 team!

As for the 14 day rule, I think it should just be ASAP! No need to put a number on it, just state you must post a picture ASAP, and add the score ASAP!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

#1 and most important - WELCOME BACK ROB!!!
#2 thanks to HNI for letting the contest continue
#3 First BOW Buck - regardless of other weapons.

This doesn't affect me too terribly much however... What is next, a multiplier for state shot to make it fair for a buck shot in Illinois to equal one shot in Georgia?
(score = total inches x State multiplier)eg. score 110 = 160" x 0.69(IL)

#4 If you can't commit to contacting a teammate within 2 weeks of an archery kill then DONT JOIN THE CONTEST! (Henceforth called the Atlas rule)
#5 Justin - why wait until next year to start banning?
#6 Know you're role - everyone should have been given the chance to vote on team captains so when a Mod asks for Team Captains only then let the Captains have their discussion. Non-Captains can have the discussion in their official team thread.
#7 New Name / New Rule Proposed
2008 Quality Bowhunting Contest
where, Rule 7 is changed to...
You must have a Quality pictured posted on the contest page within the Official Score Card thread to enter a deer. The bow must be in the picture and the entire deer must be in the picture, no skull pictures, no rack pictures, no mutilated deer pictures, nohanging deer pictures, no back of truck pictures...the whole buck, the bow, and yourself, in nature,must be in the quality picture.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve had more time to think….

You can’t possibly expect EVERYONE to go bow only for an entire season. This contest would have about 60 people. So what if some states get more than one tag and some one shoots a buck with a gun before they do so with a bow? This is a random contest so the number of tags is in the same situation as having people from big buck states on a team, they all can’t be controlled and become luck of the draw. If this rule gets implemented I feel that it crosses way over the line of a “for fun” contest. Shooting a gun buck, whether you have 10 tags or one should NOT have any bearing on what happens in this contest.

I hope to still take a bow buck this year, but if a big enough one had walked by me Monday, with my revolver in hand. BOOM! Happy Rybohunter with a handgun kill.

Sad to say, but maybe this thing has gotten to big to be fun anymore, I don’t know and I certainly hope not. I know rules are in place to keep things fair & fun, but sometimes they create more problems than they solve, and reduce the fun level significantly. And this one (9b) I certainly think follows the latter case.

And as far as the time frame rule, all it takes is ONE email, PM, phone call, or whatever to buy yourself all the time you need. No big deal. I think once the team captain gets word, he can go in and enter a buck pending score & photos.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I voted for 9b but now that I think about it a little more I think it should be first bow buck. For example I have not had the season I had planned for. I have only been able to get out once with a bow in Oct. I went out opening weekend with a gun because it was for work and with clients. I plan on going out with a bow again in late Dec to try to get my buck. If this had been the rule and I had shotone during gun I wouldn't be able to add my bow buck to the contest if I get one in a couple of weeks.

Rob I love bow hunting more than gun, but I really think it should be first with a bow. That makes it fair all the way around. This isn't a contest for people who only bowhunt even though manyonly use a bow. A hunter can be an avid bowhunter and love bowhunting more than gun but should still be able to go gun hunting and get a buck if they want to. Many of us do it to just be with family/friends, and in my case clients.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've got to tell you, this is one of the best pros/cons debates I've seen on here in a long, long time. Kudos to you all. I hope for the best result in the end whichever that may be. It's in your hands guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok apparently I missed all the drama and what not. Rob, welcome back from wherever you have been (sorry I don't know, like I said I missed all the drama).

Quick question for you Rob..........I killed a buck with a rifle earlier this month, so......can I still enter the contest this year with my first bow buck? I have read the rules and I just would like to hear YOU clarify it (or Justin). I understand either way and most certainly will not be offended because you guys and gals at HNI have been awesome with this whole contest. I can only imagine how stressful it is.

As for next year I am going to go with the neutral side of things. I have been playing catch up reading through this and both sides make very valid points. BTW this is a great debate and kudos to all you guys for keeping it clean.

Quick Reply: Okay, This is the way it is! (page 13 and 14)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.