HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   P&Y Scoring system (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/203228-p-y-scoring-system.html)

davepjr71 08-20-2007 09:28 PM

P&Y Scoring system

I've been asked to bring this to all of the participants to decide on.

Do we want to follow the OfficialP&Y Scoring system for deer? How long to wait and measure and score? What's typically been done?What's everyone's thoughts on this issue? Thanks.

buckmaster 08-20-2007 09:30 PM

RE: P&Y Scoring system

everbody post the pic of there deer, everyone else guesses a score then add 20 to it because they are goin to guess low for the sake of their team...:D

jmbuckhunter 08-20-2007 09:33 PM

It has already been decided.

Use the gross score, before deductions.

No waiting period, you can measure him before you field dress him if you want to.

If he will stand still long enough, I might measure him before I release my arrow.:D

davepjr71 08-20-2007 09:35 PM

This even applies to deer still in velvet?

Sliverflicker 08-20-2007 09:36 PM

I thought it was P&Y Gross, Green Score. But then, I may be wrong!

mauser06 08-20-2007 09:37 PM

i thought we always green scored them...no waiting period. waiting would kinda hinder guys that take them to the taxidermist. JMO...i know my first decint bowkill buck is getting mounted..and i wont be bugging my taxidermist 60days later(drying period i believe) to let me measure my rack for an online, fun, contest...and we wont wait a year+ to declare the winners of the contest because their racks were at the taxidermists lol....

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-20-2007 09:41 PM

It is the P&Y Green/ Gross score but what we discussed via PM was more, how does this apply to Velvet deer. The one we have may very well be the only one necessary for the answer but I did not know the answer.

Do you measure a velvet buck as is..?

davepjr71 08-20-2007 09:54 PM

Thanks Rob. I wasn't sure about stating specifically about a velvet deer.

TJF 08-20-2007 10:06 PM

In the past contests, the velvet bucks were measured the same as the other bucks without velvet. Even if it gainedahunter a couple extra inches... is it that big of a deal in the main scheme of things?? There won't be many taken.Next someone will want all the bucks to be measured by an official measurer cause someone might not do it right. Let's not makeit any harder then it needs to be. It worked forthe 3 other pastcontests.

Tim

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-20-2007 10:08 PM

That sounds good Tim, to be honest, I couldn't remember (too much going on in this brain..lol) what we did in the past contest....

For this contest, we'll measure the velvet bucks as is.....measure them the same as any other antlered deer....

BUT for the sake of knowledge, what exactly is the written rule for P&Y?

TJF 08-20-2007 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That sounds good Tim, to be honest, I couldn't remember (too much going on in this brain..lol) what we did in the past contest....

For this contest, we'll measure the velvet bucks as is.....measure them the same as any other antlered deer....

BUT for the sake of knowledge, what exactly is the written rule for P&Y?
The only thing I could find on the P&Yweb site was that they allow them in velvet. They are measured the same as hard antlered but there is a box to check in the score cardthat it is a velvet buck.I would have thought they had a seperate catigory for velvet bucks and not lumped them in with hard antlered but I couldn't find anything.

Hopefully someone knows more.

Tim

peakrut 08-20-2007 11:37 PM

No seperate catagory.
http://www.pope-young.org/minscores.asp
Ones with a check mark allowed.

buckeye 08-21-2007 03:51 AM

There is a separate category for velvet bucks in the P&Y records program. They are scored the same as hard antler bucks as well.[/align]

peakrut 08-21-2007 04:02 AM

But not a official world record catagory.

davepjr71 08-21-2007 04:43 AM

Thanks to the people that remember the past rules. Maybe this should be added to the Official Rules for next year so some other idiot like myself doesn't bring it up? [8D]

You bust yourtailto make this great Rob and we appreciate all your hard work as well as the work of the other mods that make this such a great site.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-21-2007 05:15 AM

Thanks Dave, I'll tweak the rules to include wording for velvet bucks. Good idea.

deadstick 08-21-2007 07:07 AM

In the actual book, they record the velvets separately, but they're in the same category. For what it's worth, a monster that qualifies for B&C must have the velvet stripped off I believe. Boone and Crockett does not accept velvet entries, but Pope and Young does.

KodiakArcher 08-21-2007 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: deadstick

In the actual book, they record the velvets separately, but they're in the same category. For what it's worth, a monster that qualifies for B&C must have the velvet stripped off I believe. Boone and Crockett does not accept velvet entries, but Pope and Young does.
Probably because there aren't many places you can hunt velvet bucks with a rifle but there are a lot where you can hunt them with a bow.

deadstick 08-21-2007 10:39 AM

Agreed, although a buck taken via bow can be registered in Boone and Crockett.

quiksilver 08-21-2007 11:31 AM

I'm just gonna buy a set of these babies on ebay, so then I won't have to worry about all this complicated math andscoring. I already know they tape out to 193" with a 20" estimated spread.

So while you guys are running around with tape measures and calipers and using online calculators - I'll just duct tape these puppiesonto the head of my fawn doe, and credit Team 13 with 193".

It's gonna look like a Chihuahua wearing an elk rack.