Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 44-Official Team The Nimrods Thread. >

44-Official Team The Nimrods Thread.

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

44-Official Team The Nimrods Thread.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 44-Official Team 44 Thread.

40's of snow I feel for you brother. Makes it hard to do anything with that much snow around. Deer are probably hitting food sources that are a little easier to get at. I bet yer winter kill is terrible up there isn't it? Man you stay warm and we are all trying really hard.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Bartender

Bob you get out last night? Deer around here were moving something fierce with the snow coming.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's still snowing hard here again or should i say still ,since we had 40" we have now another 30
" to go with it ,wanna call it snowed in . I have no idea when I'll get back out . On my way home last night there was a foot of snow on the road and you could see where the deer had been coming onto the road and walking it ,then I seen 4 deer heading from the road and into the bush ,no horn's that i could see ,but a couple real large doe's for sure . We have been getting snow since Fri night and the forecast is still calling for more today and tonight .

nubo
Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I like hunting in the snow, but 70 inches is just a tad to much for me.[:-]

Spudrow from Mo
Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I blew it on a nice buck this weekend... Here's the tale (sorry its long)

On Sat. (12/1) we had a snow storm with strong winds from the south-east the gun season was closed but muzzle loader was open. I decided with the wind direction there was not many options for using my bow stands so I brought my muzzle loader and sat under a pine tree north of our back field. Sure enough right at 4:30 a doe and fawn step into the clearing. They were side by side so I could not shoot (might just injure the back deer - blocking) so I waited. The snow was coming down harder. I decided to get closer because the visibility was dropping so I stalked 20 yards closer and propped the gun against a tree. The doe had stepped back leaving me a clear shot at the fawn. I aimed - squeezed the trigger - “click” the primer did not fire. I pulled the bolt back again. The doe had noticed me and was curious walking toward me. The fawn followed now it was under 20 yds. away. Twice more I pulled the bolt back and squeezed the trigger but it did not fire. I knelt down in the snow fishing in my pocket for my possibilities bag (a plastic baggy) to get my primer tool, to pry out the primer, put a new one in, looked up the deer were gone and I was cold! If I had my bow I’d have nice tasty fawn.

So on Sunday night I decided to go with my bow. If the muzzle loader wouldn’t work I know my bow would. I had pics of three different bucks at the neighbors property stand. The pics included one we call the "Night Rambler". The wind was perfect and so were the temps. Light snow was falling. At around 3:40 a young “doe” came in stood quartering away so I took the shot. The deer ran, I thought I heard its last breath. I knocked another arrow and silently thanked the creator and the deer spirit. It all appeared to be a good shot. I even thought I could see blood on the snow. At 4:05 I sat and wondered if with the all snow falling, it would be hard to track this deer If I hadn't made a good shot. I decided to go have a quick look. Blood trail was easy to find and I saw deer lying in the snow 30 yds. from the shot. It turned out to be a buck fawn. I climbed back up in my stand to wait for the magic moment for the seer to come in. Right at 4:30 I see a shape slipping through the woods. I see antlers. My eyes pop - it is the famed “Night Rambler:” that I have pics of for the last three years. AND he’s heading right for my shooting lane. Following the same bunny path as the fawn. I could see my hands on those antlers with 12" tines. I could see my self posing with two deer - a twofer with my bow. The music suddenly stopped as the rambler stopped and looked around. Oh-no not a good sign. Did he smell the fawn? Blood? Me? Were I walked? He's about 40 yds. away - but brush was between him and me. I waited... he turned I though to my self If I would have brought the muzzle loader I could have taken a shot. I considered talking a shot with the bow - on a hope and a prayer. But I probably would have just wounded him. Then he slowly walked out of my dream. I grunted and bleated he just looked back and then silently disappeared into the falling snow...

Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM

Well here is how I did shotgun season,
Some may say that a deer goes to first blood, and some say it goes to whoever finishes it, anyways to make a long story short,My Dadand Myself ended up tracking this buck after everyone else gave up for about 2 miles, after a full day of hunting, in the dark, and the snow, and the rain, pretty much keeping each other going.
Well after being soaked and jumping him a couple of times in the dark, we decided to give it a break....
The next day first thing we were back after him picking up the track where we left off....anyways about 75 yards from where we gave up the night before, we found him.
Nothing better than finding a deer after all of that. Dad and I, were not just doing it either because of the rack, but we owed it to that deer to find him after all he was hurting because of a few poor shots (myself included) and I couldn't walk away from a deer that I knew we could find and that would die if we didn't.

We ended up with 9 deer total this being the biggest buck, and after 2nd season I plan on taking either a big doe or a buck if one happens by with the bow so good luck to everyone, no matter what season you are hunting now

Anyways here he is....

Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a very unique rack Beullman ,congrat's on staying with it and finding him before the coyote's or wolve's did.

As for me We have gotten another foot and a half of snow since i went to work at 3:30 this afternoon .I don't think it's ever gonna stop and it's really gonna screw up my hunting this weekend . The snow hasn't stopped since Saturday morning around 1:00am . The road's have about a foot of snow on them ,the plow's just can't keep up with it all . Hopefully tomorrow I will get a pic to post ,you's really won't believe it . Anyway's I'm not quiting ,I'm gonna get out there snow or not this weekend.

nubo

nubo
Old 12-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Bartender

Nice rack buel

Bob how much snow you get?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck there BuellMan, thought maybe you had gotten lost in the timber or something. No FRALEY I didn't hunt the other day due to shotgun season. Will be hunting this weekend with my shotgun, between 16 of us hunters we have somewhere around 40 tags and plan on taking down a bunch of does. Last year we shot 36 deer with 6 bucks included and a few nubbin bucks but did take around 25 does. Gotta take out some does to keep this blue tongue in check. My son is 14 y.o. and will be his first real shotgun season experience kinda excited about that. Well fellas good luck and I will post some pics of our quarry from this coming weekend when I get them.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Bartender

Dang blue tongue didnt now of that there.
Next year you need help wacking doe's I am in.

Quick Reply: 44-Official Team The Nimrods Thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.