2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

42-Official Team Thwack Attack Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 42-Official Team 42 Thread

Rybo, sorry to hear about the logging. My Dad bought some property last year that was logged right before he bought it in July 2006. Bow hunted a little through the season. Seen a couple good buck and a bunch of does. Seems like they love to bed in the tree tops that the timber company leaves behind.

nj, good luck tomorrow, hopefully you get that doe so you can get that buck tag!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Believe me, I love hunting somewhat recently logged areas, just not ones being logged while hunting season is in.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the properties we leased has 180 of the 800 acres just finishing being logged. I've never hunted a logged property so it will be a learning experience. THe place looked amazing this turkey season. It was a hardwood bottom along a creek with a few draws and ridges leading out of the bottom. It's all destroyed now. The bottom looks the worst. Completely trashed. There are treetops everywhere and the only trails left to hunt are the logging roads. We've set a few stands along those roads because thats all we know to do. Deer will be bedded everywhere in those treetops, so we'll just have to try and sneak in and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

titleist
Your situation could be a pretty good one. Like I said “after” they log can be great. Hunt the logging roads for now, but pay attention for where the subtle trails form amongst the debris, heck the deer are probably figuring them out still. You may end up with some dynamite “mini” funnels. Plus they may start browsing the treetops since it’s relatively fresh. If these guys can get in and out of my area in the 3 weeks before my season opens, I’ll still be pretty confident. But from what I’ve been told so far, they could be in there a while, I’ll hope to find out more this weekend.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys,
Hope those with seasons opneing this weekend did well.

As for my logging issue, it seems to have been blown out of proportion by my Dad. I went out there and checked things out and they aren't 50 yds off the road, and there are no more trees marked for cutting that I could find.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM

Glad to hear that Rybo. Now for the real bad news. The property I hunt is owned by the catholic church in Baltimore. They have had a big shakeup in leadership and the new Father who oversee's the property has put an end to all hunting. The property manager called me today at 2pm to tell me this. The property manager is suppose to meet with the new Father in two weeks to plead my case but told me not to hold my breath. So in a nutshell I am pretty much screwed.

I do not know of any other property to hunt other than public land and I am not equppied to do that. I.E climbing treestand etc. ( take it up, pull down requirement by state). So if you guys deem it neccessary to drop me from the the team for an alt. I will understand.

I am going to make a few phone calls to see if I can find me a spot to hunt, but being 1 week from season opener I am almost positive I will not.

Dave
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas, the season has started, not how i planned, but it was great to be in a tree. Sat morning i hunted a stand that i wasnt planning on hunting, due to the wind, and ended up seeing 2 does with 2 fawns. One fawn still had the spots, and the other was a decent amount larger. I was planning on taking a doe if she came close enough, but they got to about 40 yards and then walked off. In all honesty, i wasnt planning on seeing anything that morning, so it was a success. Sat evening, i didnt want to hunt, but a buddy of mine was in town and he really wanted to get out. You may ask why i didnt want to hunt, well it was 92 degrees. I walked to the stand in shorts and a teeshirt and was still dripping sweat. It looked like i jumped in a swimming pool. Neadless to say, i saw a doe and a velvet 4 point, both within 10 yards of me, but i started thinking, if i shoot the doe and cant find it quick, the meat will be no good. I let her walk, but it was great to be in the right spot at the right time again. Hopefully the weather will cool down, we have a front coming in tomorrow afternoon so maybe on the backside of it there will be cooler weather. I just can see sitting in a tree when it is this damn hot out.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

SouthernMD,
there will be no such thing of booting you off. You don't need a tree stand to be successful. While yes it helps, a nicely chosen ground spot can be very effective. I've killed 2 deer the last 2 years in a row off the ground just hiding next to a tree. It's a huge rush being eye to eye. Give that public land a whirl if you can, and don't defeat yourself before you step into the woods. Good luck, and stay positive.

nj
Glad you had some action, that always helps. I know its cooled down here in western PA and expecting to get cooler, so that is headed on to you guys.

This week will be a scramble for me, getting last minute things ready to hunt. I'm not used to the season coming in so early. I think I've decided to use these 2 weeks to try and take one with my longbow, and try some areas that I normally don't hunt during archery season.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Dave,

I'll PM you, but lets talk about your situation here in SOMD. I have some thoughts that may work out so don't give up.

Craig

ORIGINAL: SouthernMDArcher

Glad to hear that Rybo. Now for the real bad news. The property I hunt is owned by the catholic church in Baltimore. They have had a big shakeup in leadership and the new Father who oversee's the property has put an end to all hunting. The property manager called me today at 2pm to tell me this. The property manager is suppose to meet with the new Father in two weeks to plead my case but told me not to hold my breath. So in a nutshell I am pretty much screwed.

I do not know of any other property to hunt other than public land and I am not equppied to do that. I.E climbing treestand etc. ( take it up, pull down requirement by state). So if you guys deem it neccessary to drop me from the the team for an alt. I will understand.

I am going to make a few phone calls to see if I can find me a spot to hunt, but being 1 week from season opener I am almost positive I will not.

Dave
Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey there team, hows everyone making out. As you all know, my season started last sat, but this week has been so darn hecktick that i havent been able to get out since then. This actually might be a blessing in disguise, cause in years past, i would hunt so much in september and october, that come november, i would still get out, but i would start to get alittle burnt out. Anyhow, the weather is starting to cool down, which is nice. Ill be out tomorrow morning hanging a stand in one of my better properties and i am hunting sat morning. Hopefully that first doe will fall then, the first one is always the hardest!

Quick Reply: 42-Official Team Thwack Attack Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.