Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 25 Official Team The Bone Collectors Thread >

25 Official Team The Bone Collectors Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

25 Official Team The Bone Collectors Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 25- Official Team 25 Thread

I guess now that we are all accounted for I will tell you a little about me!! I'm 37, born and raised in the north woods of Minnesota, but transplanted to Connecticut a few years back!! Self-employed contractor, and have beendoing mostly handicap remodeling(bathrooms, wheelchair ramps, etc..)for group homes through the state of CT for the past 3 years!

I've been deer hunting since I was 9,(single shot .410). Shot my first deer at 12(with a 30-30), first bought a bow when I was 16, and shot my first deer with it 2 years later,(a nice 8). I haven't bow hunted every season, but have only missed a couple, and have harvested 10 deer with my bow, all, but 1, mature bucks,the only doe was last years doe I shot here in CT!!

I'll do most of my hunting here in CT, but I do have the ability to hunt MN too! We have 40 acres in northern MN, with a castle on it,(lol),thats pretty much surrounded by the Superior Natl Forest. The land was purchased in 1946 by my grandpa and his 3 friends for a whopping $45.00!!!!

Below are some pictures of the shack(former), the castle(present), and the shack gang!! All the deer were taken by rifle,(yes, I gun hunt too, so don't crucify me).
The shack, built in the 50's!

The castle, built in 2005/2006!

The shack gang at the end of 2005 season! I'm on the far right! My dad and older brother are the two holding the guns! Why? They shot 6 of the 7 deer on the pole! I shot the 7th! In all there are a 10 two 8's and 4 does! I shot a doe, my dad the 10 and an 8 and my older bro the other 8 and 3 does!! What a year that was!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a little history I shared when I first joined HNI.

Over the years our shack gang has shot some monsters! We hunt 7 miles off the north shore of Lake Superior on the Split Rock River. Our shack was built in 1946 by my grandpa and his 3 best friends(they pooled there money and bought 40 acres for $45 bucks). We have had a scale, that I have tested, and is pretty accurate, since 1958! There have been many big deer shot out of our camp includung the 1976 state record(27 point typical that wieghed 309 pounds field dressed), but the biggest deer shot out of our camp was a doe. It was a whopping 328 pounds (field dressed) shot in 1961, by my gandpa! My biggest deer is a 10 point 248 pounder that I shot with my grandpas gun (the first day I carried it) in 1988.

My grandpa's gun.
Remington 30-06 model 740. When he passed he wanted his best friend to have it. Who shot a deer with it then passed it down to his son. He then shot a deer with it, and stored it away. It sat in his closet for 10 years, he then decided it meant more to my dad then it meant to his closet. He gave it to my dad. My dad decided to carry it that year, and shot 4 deer with it. When my older bro was old enough to carry it my dad let him and he shot his first deer(6pt 150#) with it,(the first day he carried it). Then me. Then my younger bro who also shot a nice buck(7pt 175#) the first day he carried it. So we started passing the the gun around the shack. In all9 people at the shack have shot a deer with the gun and only 1 guy has had to carry it twice(2 if you count my grandpa)! We are down to two 3rd generation hunter left to shot one with it and this year we will have our first 4th generation hunter coming to the shack!

Talk about a blessed gun!
Thanks Gramps!!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

NIce place vikesfan! Looks like a grreat place to chace whitetails. As far as the voting goes, I vote for the Bone collectors, but I would be happy with either one of them. I will have to add, that I am not a rookie at this team thing, this wil be my 3rd year, and actually, I was on the winning team 2 years ago, so we got to keep our team together last year as defending champs.So this will only be my ssecond team, and I am looking forward to it. This contest is really great for making new friends.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Bone Collectors. As always Nice work. Nice looking place you got there.

I posted some pics of the smaller bucks hanging around but haven't seen the big ones yt. I know they are here. I live in a residential plan that borders an old farm. So I just sneek out the back door every morning.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM

I vote for vikesfan for team captain,Iusually could'nt vote for any vikesfans but I am a lowly lions fan and he did give them props so VIKESFAN for Captain!!!! go team 25 bone collectors!!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Close enough to 7pm and we have enough votes so I'll make it official!! "The Bone Collectors" wins!!
I'll also let Rob know that I am captain!!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

congrats where do i get the ava
Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Just go to avatar pic on 6th page, or better yet my avatar,and right click! save picture as... Save it to your cpu, and then go to your profile and change it!! If further instructions are needed just ask!!!

P.S. Just a little brag post, non hunting related! My first cousin, after 3 years of trying to become a Vikings cheerleader, finally made the squad!!!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: vikesfan353

P.S. Just a little brag post, non hunting related! My first cousin, after 3 years of trying to become a Vikings cheerleader, finally made the squad!!!
Any pics????Very nice place you guys hunt there vike.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Just 1 so far, and I don't think it's a very good one!!!

Quick Reply: 25 Official Team The Bone Collectors Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.