Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread >

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Good luck at gun camp pa, and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, do any of you harvest a wild turkey for thanksgiving? We don't have a fall hunt in Ontario, spring Toms only.

Will, I'll have to play it by ear tonight, I'm working in Hamilton today, if I work late I'll stop for dinner to kill some time on my way back into Toronto and maybe we can hook up, but if I make it home I won't be turning around and heading back to the airport at 9pm, its just a bit too far/late. A better option for me would be to get together for breakfast tomorrow, what time does your flight leave Toronto?
Good news for you, it looks like you're gonna hit the migration perfectly, they are on the Trans Taiga Rd now and reports are coming back that its more of a shoot than hunt right now, but you can make it interesting with your bow. Do you have snow shoes? Theres 2' of snow if you step off the road, you could just sit on a trail at the road but I'd imagine you may want to try to get away from everybody else with their rifles. As for a hotel, their are plenty of expensive ones around the airport, a cheap motel would be a bit further by cab, try the White Knight motel or the Motel 6.
We'll talk soon.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor,

Sorry man, our plane did not arrive until late. I sort of figured you were in bed by then. We got a cheap room at the Quality Inn...not much but adequate for the short time we are in Toronto. We are off to the airport shortly. Our plane to Montreal departs at 6:20 am. I will catch you on the flip side...we'll share a suds another day, promise eh?

No snow shoe...Coloradans have big feet!

I am hearing and seeing the same reports as you. For me, the hunt is a much the adventure as it is the taking. I promise this will be fun with or without caribou!

Thank you for all your help!

Best of luck everyone! I'll post pics upon my return!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Huck... Have fun buddy. Can't wait for the pics.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Worked 10hrs today, on a saturday. 14hrs yesterday. I haven't been up a tree in two weeks, I've been missing the rut, NOTHING is going to stop me from hunting tomorrow morning. I don't care how far away or cold it is, I need tree time before I go insane!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is only one thing I can say about hunting the Winter caribou migration in Quebec, Canada, eh? It should be on every man's "to do" list! What an adventure! The drive will test you. The hordes of animals will amaze you! And, the amount of work involve will boggle your mind! I would do this hunt again in a second! It was that much fun!

Six of us met in Val D'or, Quebec and made the 895 kilometer drive (a 16 hour ordeal) to Nouchimi Tourism (our outfitter). We arriveatfour o'clock am-a goodthree hours before Nouchimi opened for business. We made good use of the down time by cat napping in the truck. But, I'm telling you, everyone was eager to purchase their caribou tags and take to the field.

Although this was a self guided hunt, the folks at Nouchimi were very helpful. After purchasing our tags, they directed us to hunt between kilometer marker 476 and 512 on the Transtiaga Road. They said the main body of the migration was somewhere there (Nouchimi is located at marker 284). Off we went! We arrived at 476 some three hours later (six hours round trip from our base campwas typical for the drive to and from the hunt).

Around 1:00 pm, I made an incredible 40 yard center punch shot on my first caribou bull. He wasn't the biggest nor was he the small, but he certainly wasa good ice breaker. I spent the rest of the day packing him back to the truck. One of our rifle hunters made short work of his two allotedbulls. He had two bulls down in less than 45 minutes. Both were decent representations of the species.

With one bull under my belt, I began looking for my "good representation of the species" bull. He had to have double shovels, nice bez points, back scratchers, and good top points. From the 476 location, my sister and I hiked in about two hundred yards from the road (I know, you are thinking "is that all". Let me tell you, 200 yards in three feet of snow without snow shoe is not an easy feat. Pulling a 350 pound animal through said snow is nothing shy of a major chore).We set up an ambush point behind two different rocks. It was absolutely one of the coolest experiences I have ever witnessed. Can you imagine being right smack dab in the middle of the caribou migration? That's what it felt like to us. Bous were filtering past us everywhere!They came from the left andfrom the right.They were anywhere from 5 feet to 65 yards away. Yep, honest to God, they were everywhere! Little did we know, we weren't even in the main body. The bous going by us were fringe animals (the real main body was at marker 500). And yet, we still looked over thousands of animals. Sadly, most of the big bull had already shed their horns. There were exceptions...

Late in the afternoon, I gotthe bull I was looking for. He camewithin 27 yards and I drilled a hole through his boiler room. Perseveringthe negitive 16 to 29 degrees (fahrenheit) paid off. I'll get up more pictures and tell more of the story ASAP. ENJOY!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Will.
I've been waiting for that post, I figured you'd be home sooner than now.
I agree that everyone should experiance it once, people are amazed when I show them pics from my trip, but if I ever do it again it'll be with a bow, my hunt was too easy w/rifle.
So your Colorado'n feet weren't big enough for Canuk snow drifts eh? LOL, I tried to warn you, I bet you won't be too eager for another roadtrip for a little while either, the driving doesn't stop when you get up there.
Howd your sister do, did your whole group tag out?

Too bad we didn't connect for a beer, but the way you travel I'm sure its just a matter of time before that happens, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor,

The whole group tagged out. I shot two with the bow, my sister got one with her bow and one with a borrowed rifle. One other gentleman shot a bou with archery equipment (4 bow kills, eight rifle kills).

Snow shoes and a snow machine will go with me next trip there (I'll wait for my butt blisters to heal though...man, that's a lot of driving).

Here's a link to some of the photos:
http://hunting.sendphotos.com/storage/shared.aspx

Click on Hunting's albums and then on Quebec caribou. Enjoy!

Hey, and how's the deer hunting going? Let's hear what's happening!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My last hunt was weird, I looked over my shoulder to see a really wide 10pt heading my way from >100yrds away, one of the biggest deer I've ever seen while hunting, short tines but by far the widest. I got down low and watched him approach, I was downwind and everything was perfect, untill he started to trot towards, then all out run!!! He did not see me, and theres no way he smelled me with the strong wind in my face, but he ran past within bow range at a full gallop (I held off on my new Buck Roar till I Knew he wasn't stopping, it didn't work). I was amazed but curious to see what was behind him, there was nothing, no other deer, no coyotes, I have no clue what spooked him, he couldn't have smelled me and if he saw me he would have changed direction and not run past within bow range. At least its nice to know that there is at least one big buck on the property.

I really need the luck this weekend, gotta use my tag before the controlled hunt (shotgun/muzzleloader only, archery closes) opens at the farm for a week.
The owner of our rifle camp is gonna join me for the controlled hunt, but he put his tag on another guys rifle deer at his camp (party hunting is legal here), so if I don't get us a buck this weekend I may not be able to help the team out with any inches because there is a good chance of using my tag on a shotgun buck. Theres really no getting around it, I've hunted his land for years and he has never shot a buck so I won't deny him (we have lots of meat already), but I will limit him to a buck, if he uses our last tag on a doe w/shotgun he might end up hanging on the meat pole .

Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's too quiet in here! Clap,clap clap, WAKE up boys! There's no napping during the home stretch! Who's still hunting? Get out there and bring home the bacon! What are ya'll seeing?Talk to me!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I'm back from camp, I saw a couple of shooter bucks howevernone of them presented a shot. The weather could have been better but all in all it wasn't too bad. This Monday I shot a big old doe, really big head and pretty heavy for a mountain deer.

Still have a few days left in rifle but maybe I'll take the bow out for some quick huntsas it's hard for me to sit too long when it's this cold out. I run pretty cold most of the time but I can still last a couple of hours. There is late archery as well. Good luck to everyone still hunting.

Quick Reply: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.