Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread >

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

I'm back from my work trip, wish I had taken my camera; I was working in some bush/meadows between a gravel pit and a refinery and I kept seeing a white coyote, I got a good look at its face one time and didn't see red eyes but it was definately the lightest phase yote I have ever seen.
I got most of my paperwork back, still missing my waterfowl, firearms, and boat operators card, but no rush for those.
I'm off work for a week but can't spend it all in a tree, gun season opens monday and the guys at camp would never have me back if I missed opening week. Gun camp is more of a social thing for me, the thrill of pulling the trigger isn't nearly as strong ever since I took one with a bow, but it will be a fun week of stories, beer, dogs, eating like kings, and more stories with a great group of guys.
I'll get a quik hunt in tomorrow, and I'll try to leave gun camp a day or two early to grab the bow again, but the guys might not let me leave without a good excuse, and I don't want to lie to them, or tell them I'd rather hunt alone with my bow, we'll see what happens.

Good luck all.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome back. Good luck next week. I'm gonna be doing the same thing the week of Thanksgiving, but am definitely focused on puttin' one down with the bow.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

He ain't much but I will score him up and let you know. I was running out of hunting time and he presented himself. 11:15 a.m. 11.06.07
6-pt field dressed 117#
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h109/PossumTop/IMG_0732.jpg
Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright rex thats awesome. Make sure you get those H3 and H4 measurements in there. They will be good for a few more inches. Congrats my friend.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet Rex! Every inch counts when you're running out of time! Congrats!

Illinios was verrry verrrry good to me...

Story and photos coming...
Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Part one

I know I’m singing to the choir when I talk about hunting white-tailed deer during the rut.
Simply put, I love it! I’m sure ya’ll know exactly how I feel. There is nothing better than sitting in a deer stand the first few weeks of November. It doesn’t matter where you’re from. The air is crisp, the colors are beyond description, and wildlife seems abundant... There is nothing like a November sunrise and the anticipation it brings! If you are like me, you welcome the morning light. You know it will begin warming those freezing toes and fingers (you have already been on stand for an hour and a half). Your eyes scan. What will those new day‘s rays reveal? And then introduce the new day’s sounds. The forest slowly begins to wake up. Squirrels rustle in the leaves below. You hear footsteps and you pray they are those from a whopper buck… I personally take enjoyment from the morning’s first song bird. Will it be a finch, a lark, a cardinal, or perhaps a robin? It really doesn’t matter, I enjoy them all.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Part two:

This past weekend, I spent four days hunting a piece of property along the Sangamon River, near Petersburg, Illinois. I was the guest of Cavan Sullivan. Cavan is the founder of Timber Valley Deer Scents and Pheasant Farm (I will talk about his operation in a minute...www.tvfreshscent.com). He was a perfect host and deserves special thanks for allowing me to hunt in his wonderful state and on his family’s farm. I sure hope I meet more families like his on my quest to kill a deer in all fifty states!

I’m guessing the farm is 600 acres. The Sullivan’s have tree stands set up everywhere. Why? Because the deer come from everywhere! It is very difficult to pin point exactly where the deer will appear. I hunted for four days and felt like my head should have been on a swivel! I saw a total of 16 buck (six of which were shooters) and countless does.

On my first morning out, I watched as a doe approached Cavan’s mock scrap. She followed a scent trail Cavan laid down drop for drop. She even hooked back around and repeated the process again and again. I was impressed to actually see deer scent workingso effectively. And then in comes a second doe. At first, this doe was on a dead run. She hammered the brakes to smell Cavan’s deer scent. Behind her was a trailing buck. He was definitely a shooter; I was not letting him pass! I sent an arrow through his boiler room from 27 yards. But I honestly feel this would not have been possible if Cavan’s deer scent would not have been there to slow the doe. We found him collapsed some two hundred yards away. He is a very respectable 133 inch 11 point (he had some trash points on his left antler).

Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Part three:

I continued to hunt. I had three days left and still had a doe tag to fill. Trust me; The Sullivan’s were pleased I was eager to help them with their enormous doe population.
I was given many opportunities to field test Timber valley’s estrus scent, buck scent, and doe scent. A skeptic is now a believer! This stuff works! I put some estrus scent out and watched as this buck nosed his way into within 30 yards. Talking about a duck on the pond! What I would have given for a second buck tag (see below)!

On a final note, I want to say a word about Enigma camouflage. On my last day of hunting, I spent the entire day atop a 15 foot ladder stand. Things were hectic on my construction site back home. My cell phone was ringing off the hook ( the calls were too important to have the phone on vibrate mode). Mind you, I’m sitting on top of this ladder stand carrying on normal work conversations. There are five deer bedded down in front of me at various ranges. The closest, a spike buck, was only twenty yards away. I, of course, had my eye on a bedded doe at forty yards…

The phone would ring. I would answer. I limited my movement and conducted business as usual… This went on for four hours. The deer seemed undisturbed. I had a plane to catch. So at 3:30pm, I climbed down off the ladder (slowly of course). I began stalking the 40 yard doe. The spike buck never stood up (he was actually curled up into a tight little ball-head down)! The other three deer also remained resting. I moved to within 27 yards of my target. When I came to full draw the doe bounced to her feet. She jumped string and I shot over her back. After all that, I couldn’t help but to think this is an incredible testament to Enigma.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck and great pictures as well Huck. I am glad Illinois was so good to you. Wish we could have met up for lunch or something. However, I had some issues come up that left me unemployed. So as you can guess I am using all of my spare time dealing with this and trying to finda new job. Congrats again brother on an awesome Illinois whitetail.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man Chris, I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Is everything going to be ok? Is there anything I can do to help? Boy, we need construction workers out here in my neck of the woods...and the hunting is second to none.

My wife is from Chicago, so naturally, I thought all of Illinois was paved in concrete. Wow was I wrong! I thinks that's the thing I like the most about hunting other states. All the misconception are tossed out the window. Petersburg was absolutely beautiful! I could live there! I love the small town rural feeling! The Sullivan's property along the river was edged by agricultural feilds-beans and corn. Toss in the surrounding CRP feild and you have the perfect habitat for wildlife. It just doesn't get much better than that for free ranging deer!

Anyway, let me know if I can help out in any way.

Quick Reply: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.