2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 13-Official Team 13 Thread

Al- A little scruffy there but hey if you can get away with it cool.

Fran I like the nice clean heavy 8 pointer but he's only going to score about 115. He really needs 1 more year but I have to see him in person. His brows are small I have a rule if I have to talk myself into it I shouldn't shoot it. Let me know how that camera works I've been shopping for the last couple of weeks.

Jason let us know whats on the camera.

Mike glad to see your flying the winning colors. Are you seeing anything?

Well August is pretty much done I'm gone with the aniversery and family vacation I won't make it back up until labor day unless something weird happens.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Spike

Great looking pics Dan.You know the season is getting closer when you start seeing bachelor groups like that. Keep the pics coming.

I drew my Kansas tag this year so hopefully I'll get back there to hunt some of the bucks I saw last year. They should be a little bigger. I did find a couple of nice sheds this spring when I was out there so there are some still there.

Fran, Looking forward to the video. I have some video of bucks I passed up out in Kansas if I ever get around to figuring out how to download and post them.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim congrats on the KS tag make us proud and smoke 1 of those Kansas giants.

I got the leaf river camera going last night so that on is going in on trails that we haven't hunted yet.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Todays update: Put the camera in a totally new woods to me. In an adjacent block to the woods i usually hunt. I seen a big 8 out with a bachelor group of other little guys two nights ago, so i did some power scouting and got the camera in and got the hell out. The kicker is that the old farmer that works the fields is all organic and he has 10 acres of corn that i dont think he will get to pick until darn near november (The organics cant use synthetic fertilizers or genetically enginered seeds, so they generally grow much slower, also bc of all the rain he got it in late, for those who dont know farming much...). This will be sweet as summer rain for me, i dont have permission to hunt that guys fields yet, but i do have permission to hunt the woods around it, which is good enough for me. Needless to say im pumped up about this spot, no one really hunts it except for a few local weekend warriors (which are no match for this whitetail killing machine).

Fran, i got a canon zr500, a step or 2 down from yours, but they are all sweet cameras, im sure you'll like it. When i figure out this bigboys feeding pattern ill get out and do some velvet footage from a distance to keep ya'll entertained. Have a good one fellas!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Al - how many cameras are you running right now? If that corn is still standing late in season, after the mast is cleaned up - it might really work out in your favor.

On thisZR camera- I might have to return it and swap it for a Sony, b/c the night setting isn't infrared. Normally, that's no problem if you're shooting in the daylight, but when we're spotting at night time, the cameras with the IR night setting REALLY pick up the dim light at the extended ranges. The Canon just doesn't seem to do as well with the spotlight. The deer have to be really close (inside 150) - and most of our deer sightings (especially the bucks) tend to be back deep on the woodlines.

I got some footage last night - but I need a firewire to get it to my pc. Hopefully, I can make that happen tonight.

I started off at a hog hunting area, and videoed my buddy whiffing a groundhog twice. I got one later, but not on film. We saw about 6 deer there, 1 decent buck. I got him on tape for about 2 seconds.

Then, I slipped over to one of my bowhunting areas to film at dark - saw 10 deer, 5 bucks. The light was low, and he was a solid 200-300 yards outso the video is low quality, but I did see a really nice 4x4 (maybe 18"). One other basket racker, and a few scrubs.

This farm is probably 200 acres of fields, and 80% of it is field corn, 20% soybean. To my surprise, the deer seem to have totally abandoned the beans already, and are POUNDING the corn. Every deer I saw was entering/exiting the corn fields. They wouldn't give the beans so much as a second look.

I'm not sure if it's a dietary deficiency thing or what, but I remember the same thing happening last year - right around the middle of July, they abandoned the beans and started hammering the corn, only to return to the beanfields later in August. Maybe it has something to do with the corn being soft.

After glassing, we dropped off the rifles and made a spotting run, and saw probably 50 more deer, maybe 15 buck - nothing bigger than a weak 2.5. I did get some decent footage of them.

I'm getting the fever.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive already got the fever!

Just one camera is all im running right now, one of my buddies wanted to borrow my other one to check out some new property he just got access to, so i let him, its a piece anyways .

I never film spotlighting, so ive never tried night footage with my cam, im sure the sony would be a better option.

Anyone getting pumped up about new property, new bucks, anything??? Gotta have some info here!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

So last night, I swapped my CanonZR for a Sony, then I came home and played a little George Lucas. I tell ya what - editing the video is easy - but uploading it to a web-based hosting site is a PITA.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=5290

My video came out at 6.5 minutes, 24MB. It was also some weird .mswmm file type (Microsoft Movie Maker). I managed to convert it to some other random file type and upload it to www.huntingfootage.com - but I already filled 25% of my permitted bandwidth. LOL

Anyway, the video is sort of amusing - shaky as hell. Some of it is really grainy and chitty. Most all of the deer were 200+, and zoomed way in. I got a clip of my buddy missing a groundhog at 190 yards. He missed it by a mile. LOL

Al - I remember you posted some vids a while back - what site did you upload them to? And what do you use as your editing software?

By the way, to view my video, you have to register on their site, but it seriously takes like 15 seconds. Just set up a username and a password.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran, i used youtube, i found it to be pretty easy. To edit it i used Microsoft movie maker as well, easy as hell.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran that was cool. Got a little jumpy when your buddy shot.When you zoomed in it seemed grainy as hell but I read most of the 40X zooms will be like that. So you test the cameraby candle light
yet.Don't worry honey it's not on isn't thatthe famous line.

Anyway My buddy is going to check the camera's Saturday I hope there's more bucks. I got my leaf river going so I'm going to ups that back up there.I'm working my ass of at work right now I don't have that much time I'm hoping to by a camcorder before I leave for Glacier but that's going to be rough. Until next time stay out of trouble.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didnt have much time to post earlier, so i will now.

Trail cam will be checked tomorrow, and i'll post the findings. This is a very public private land, and i dont want her stolen, so i leave it out there during the week and pick it up before weekends. Ive been seeing quite a few nice ones comming out of the woodwork latly and will get out to do some velvet footage here shortly.

Did i mention im going bear hunting? I dont think so, but anywho i leave in two weeks and am wicked excited about that, taking my recurve b/c i dont really care if i shoot one, i just wanna shoot one with the 'curve! So i'll be gone for a week then, with the cam doing the scouting for me.

In other news, ive been working my ass off latly building up my savings so i dont need to work during "school" (hunting). So the time and the hard work will be there for me this year, all i need is a little bit of luck and im a done deal![8D]

Have a good night ya'll!

Quick Reply: THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.