2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 13-Official Team 13 Thread

Well congrats again Jason.. believe me I know exactly what you mean about work and the hunting season. It's actually why I went to business for myself.. just so I could get off when the season was in full gear.

My wife is a first grade teacher and she pland on moving up into administration within the next few years.. which means alot more money. Then I keep telling her.. I'll take off all of November!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jason- Good luck on the new job.Hope it works out for you.

Mike - Running your own business can be rough sometimes but the timee off in hunting season is priceless. Everbody that works for me loves venison but only 2 other people hunt.1 hunts with me and got a 10 this year and the other 1 hunts with me once in a while. So the guy's that don't hunt push me to get out and hunt to fill there freezers. They manage the shop when I'm out. As for the wife get her making as much money as possible as soon as possible because there will be a day when she will come to you and say "I don't want to work no more". That day sucked.

I'm going to try and get some woods time in this weekend I got 3 acres to clear cut I am going to plant cranberry's there but I have to get it cut in winter so say's the DNR.
I try and take some pictures when I'm up there maybe try and find a shed or 2.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fellas whats goin on?

This semester has been great for me so far! Started my first taxidermy class and am definatly loving that (anyone with some game birds and/or ducks that you dont want send them my way! I need some projects!) But anyways the rest of my classes are pretty much snoozers as i had expected. In other news, starting to really get into this traditional stuff. Ive had a recurve for quite some time but havnt really hunted with it. I figure i'll do a few test runs on turkeys this spring and see if im worthy to chase some whitetails with it. I would also like to pick up a new compound but darn those things are pricy for a college kid! Anyways, enough rambling, cya guys around!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al – Good luck turkey hunting! You may want to check the Team 13 bylaws though – I don’t think you can break out any traditional equipment next deer season until you have a buck down for the contest

Hey guys – I’ve got some AWESOME new developments!!!! With a couple of preference points going into the non-resident draw for Iowa this year I figure I should stand a good chance of drawing a tag. With that in mind, I started trying to secure some land (assuming I draw a tag) in south central Iowa. Well today was the day!! I actually ran across it a while back but it took some time to get everything squared away/agreed upon. Needless to say - I'm pretty pumped!

There are 2 separate parcels that I can hunt – each piece is over 100 acres. Both of the properties supposedly haven’t been bow hunted for some time and in recent years have only been hunted (and not hard) during the 1st shotgun season. Property 1 hasn’t been traditionally farmed for 20 years and has all types of CRP and cover… I’m guessing that is the ‘primary’ property but won’t really know for sure until I head down and do some scouting in a few months…

So here’s the deal - I NEED your guys input! I realize that it’s hard to tell by a satellite photo, but do you guys see any areas that peak your interest? Areas that I should pay special attention to while scouting? If any of you have some time to kill feel free to download the pics and mark any areas in Microsoft Paint (or whatever) and them PM them back to me…

Area 1:
http://www.southdakotahunter.com/webpics/IA%20Hunt%20Area%201.JPG

Here's a second pic of area 1:
http://www.southdakotahunter.com/webpics/Area 1 - new.JPG

Area 2:
http://www.southdakotahunter.com/webpics/IA%20Hunt%20Area%202.JPG

Here's a second pic of area 2:
http://www.southdakotahunter.com/webpics/Area 2 - new.JPG

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lookin good Jason! Im not much of a arial map kind of guy unless i can pound some ground first to get an idea of the place, perhaps you could try to get some topo's? I always have better luck reading them, as a matter of fact, the spot i killed my buck out of this year i found strictly on a topo map and went in and hung the stand and got him. They seem to show a lot of little secrets.

Anyways.....stupid by laws.....[:@]
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al, great idea... Here's some TOPO maps:

Area 1:

Area 2:

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, i love hunting those creek crossings, so i would start my scouting there with both of the pieces of land. After than i just beat feet around checking for heaviest trails and possible try to find some bedding areas! Got any turkeys on that??
Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess there are turkeys everywhere... My biggest problem is that I don't believe IA allows non-residents to hunt turkeys in the fall and I already missed the draw from the spring seasons...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got up north this weekend and we got about 80 percent of the cutting done. The Snow in spots was waist deep and the tempature went from 28 to -8 with 40 mph wind. It was a rough weekend. I put some corn and grain out to help the deer.The snow was to deep to go looking for sheds.

I talk to my neighbor about buying the 84 acres and he said he doesn't want to sell it anymore. Grumpy old coot was begging me 2 years ago to buy it now I can and he don't want to sell.It's like dealing with my wife.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice acquisition Jason.. Iowa is a pretty special place to deer hunt whitetails!

I'll post some suggestions later on.. a topo has always been the key to big bucks for me. I didn't see anything that really stood out. Can I ask a few Q's?

Is there a fence on any edge of the properties?

Is the creek usually dry in autumn?

What kind of tree species are dominate? Oak? Hickory? Maple?

And.. any Cedar or Pine on the piece?

If you could answer any.. it would greatly help.

Quick Reply: THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.