HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   10 - Official Team Germ Warfare Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/201691-10-official-team-germ-warfare-thread.html)

Sliverflicker 09-23-2007 09:54 PM

RE: 10 - Official Team Germ Warfare Thread

Well the grandson pulled it off, last day of the youth season, last few minutes of light, and he laid out a Perfect 120 class 8pt with his 50 cal black powder he got for his birthday last year. Droped him in his tracks, and my son got it all on video. Killed it on my mother-in-laws 11 acres and befor he even got home he had several calls from Mi, Md, Ky, and Kansas to congratulate him, he's now a family celebrity :D.

Diesel my Son in Md is going through the same thing. He seen 3 good shooters right off the bat (no shots offered) and nothing but does and fawns the last few days.

Jim thats another great bull!!

GR8 hows that Leg coming along?

How about it TEmbry, what did ya see this weekend?

GR8atta2d 09-24-2007 05:28 AM

Wow Sliver... Rifle s booming already??? Thats some early Gun Hunting. It's (was) still Summer. Congrats to the kids though ..that's awesome!

I hear ya Diesel..man things are drying up here too, as far as spotting etc. We haven't even started yets and sightings are down..Bummer.... But the plus side is soon we'll be in the bush!

Diesel77 09-24-2007 06:54 AM

Man thats great Silver, I bet he is hooked permamnently now.

Yeah GR8, how goes the injury recovery??

Ahh, Im not worried really GR8 Im still having a blast. The real fun part starts soon, pre rut and rut, from mid Oct to Dec its much more exciting in the woods. Funny, Im not seeing any more big bucks, and 2monster bucks have been taken in MD, I made a post on the Bowhunting board with a pic.

Hey, if you guys havent voted, go to this link. Trying to get some information/data for shirts. I see some of you guys have, thnx fellas

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2332665

Sliverflicker 09-24-2007 07:38 AM

Yes GR8, its a youth only 2 day season. I didn't like it at first, just because they have it around 10 days befor bowseason begins, But after this weekend and hearing the grandkids tell their own hunting story, its pretty much a good thing.It gives the parents a weekend in the woods with the kids withouta couplemillion adult gun hunters around.

GR8atta2d 09-24-2007 09:24 AM

Sliver..I know it depends who's kids are huntin..lol We have youth seasons in Ohio now also. I usually have the suspicion that a lot of big bucks get killed, because Dad says "he's huge son, give me the gun!" I'm probably wrong..in MOST cases.. I know when my kids are old enough I'll be all for youth seasons..So it's usually just biased!! Hey at least I admit it!

As for the leg..it's doing good. Did a little squirrel hunting this weekend on some public land. Saw 3 bushy tails didn't take any shots.I was scouting locations for the evening deer perch, in the coming weeks. It did get pretty sore after walking a ways. Gonna try a practice climb with the climber this week. Should be ok.

bawanajim 09-24-2007 11:45 AM

Silver glad to hear the kids were so successful. Its great to see that some among us understand the importanceof wildlife to todays youth. If you maybe have a Christmas rifle in mind for them take a serious look at a 243 winchester. What a great round for deer ,antelope and all round plinking. I load 95gr Nosler ballistic points for both my wife and daughter.They are devastating and very little recoil.
Nothing new here a few does & no bucks. :eek:

Sliverflicker 09-24-2007 01:47 PM

I hear ya GR8, thats the other reason I did not like the thoughts of an early youth season, and one of the reasons my son videoed them.I now think the pro's outweigh the con's.
I had to laugh at it's a Big One give me the gun, you would have had to beat these kids with a club to get a gun away from them at their moment of truth :D.
Dont over do the leg, I had a friend that had to have that operation twice!

Jim we start them out young, even my 3 year old granddaughter has her own bow and shoots with us in the yard.
Your right 243 is a good cal for kids, thats what my grandson in Kansas took his first buck with last year, and he loves his. And would make a good Christmas present for these two.

TEmbry 09-24-2007 06:59 PM

well once again i didnt make it out this weekend. its been miserably hot outside, and ive been waiting for a little cooler weather to head back out. was going to go sunday afternoon even though i knew it would be hot, turned out to be like 96 degrees, so i took the boat to the lake for a swim/slay wood duck outing. last day of woodie season was sunday, so i figured i would make the best of it. knocked down our limit with no problem and i killed my first ever blue wing teal to boot.

if i get all my schoolwork/reseach paperscaught up this week (procrastinator) i should be free for some afternoon hunts next week after school. Maybe this weekend as well, just depends on how much mowing i have to do to catch up.

No worries though, i WILL lay a buck down with my bow this year.....i hope.:D I'm contemplating takin my bow during the rifle season this year. threatened it last year but backed down and took out the .270, probably will again this year, but i cant decide yet. still 2 months away from then, but that is my favorite time to be in the woods. never no what you will see or what time it will come by.

Diesel77 09-25-2007 12:12 AM

Man woodies have to be the coolest looking ducks, and man are they fast!Sounds like you did great with them this year.

Plenty of time TE. Deer dont seem to be moving much. Its almost October and in the 90s every day, this is nuts. Im not seeing bucks at all. I saw 30 does last night, saw 9 tonight. Sooner or later it will start getting interesting once the bucks start moving around more.

Be careful and dont overdo it Gr8!! We need our fearless leader!!

GR8atta2d 09-25-2007 10:16 AM

OK who was it that said I'd be lobbing 100 yard shoots at my Target before long!! [:@]

Yeah :Dguilty [:-]shot 5, at 100 Yards last night. Farthest pin is 55 so had to use some Kentucky windage. The first one fell 10 yards short! 2&3 were low hits 4&5 over his back! (deer target). Only lost 1 arrow #3 deflected of the front inside of the leg..Haven't found that one yet!

Anyway...Ordered some goodies and gonna hopefully get them tonight, if the UPSMan comes through! I bought an Apple Arrow saw and an Arizona EZ fletcher. Hope to make up some new ones tonight.

I gotta quit tinkering..Monday I took the Muzzy 0 effect off because I wasn't comfortable with...I have no idea, what I wasn't comfortable with..just too much idle time. So i had to get it all fine tuned again! Which it is.

I shot the G5 striker Broadhead and was impressed..But it broke easily,so I got worried. So I bought the Muzzy MX-3's always loved the MX-4 but the strikers hit ever so slightly better so I wanted to try the MX-3's..These will be on my arrows this year! Anyway enough random babbling for now.. 3 nights and a wake-up!