Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 2- Team Freezer Fillers official smack shack >

2- Team Freezer Fillers official smack shack

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

2- Team Freezer Fillers official smack shack

Old 08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 2- Team Freezer Fillers official smack shack

ChrisH:

I bought a bow in Sept. of '05......around the time of our season opener. Actually.....I had no idea WHEN our season opener was. I didn't even intend to hunt deer with it. The learning curve for becoming proficient with a bow is a short one in my opinion. The learning curve for knowing when NOT to shoot is one that I think I "might" have a good grasp on......after sighting 400+ deer from stand in my 2 seasons.

Do I think you can become proficient is a short time and take deer...this season? Yes. Do I think it's a slam-dunk? Nope. I think you need to shoot a LOT.....and ask the guys on your team and the forum for a lot of help.

Biggest piece of advice I can give you is.......(and this is usually wrought from experience).......

Think about the path your arrow will take THROUGH the animal. There is no "set" great spot to hit a deer. You'll hear a lot of guys say "Aim for the exit hole". That's sound advice. Remember this.....and you'll be ahead of some. I won't preach ethics to you.....but I'd just ask as a fellow hunter that you be realistic with your range.

Heck....no there isn't an experience level requirement for the contest. Not sure I would have taken the path you did.....but there's no reason you can't help your team.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: PaBowhunter29

hey mobowhuntr its great to be on a team with you
Thanks PA, good to have you as well!! How's that rest holding up for you??
Old 08-26-2007, 04:33 PM

And for the REST of you turkeys......That'll just about be enough out of the peanut gallery...... My buddy jmbuckhuntr ( who seems to head up the gallery.....well, other than scott of course ) is my guide this year, so ya'll best be on your toes!! The underdogs shooting pink are gonna whoop all yer asses!!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

ChrisH,

I jsut bought a Diamond Ice 3 weeks ago. Have yet to take it out for a spin or even sight it in. I need to start shooting every evening but that is less for target practice and more for getting the shooting muscles and formin shape. Shooting a bow is really not that difficult. I think it only constitutes mabye 10% of bow hunting. Location, knowing the wind, scent control and silence are all more important to getting close to a big buck. Without those in your favor you culd be shooting a $4,000 rig and never get a shot off.

So practice every evening. From an elevated location if you will be in a treestand. I also like to take a Sharpie and put a little tick mark on a fletching whenever I get a bulls eye. Then when I go in the field I'm sure to take the arrows I have shot the best.

I don't think you need months of practice but it wouldn't hurt. You also need to be careful not to overdo it. SHooting an arrow into a center target at 35 yards and in should be a no-brainer. Shooting beyond that could be a risky shot (at least in my case). I know my limits and would NEVER risk wounding a huge buck just to get a shot.

FYI, my first year bow hunting I took a 141 inch 4 by 10. If you can keep quiet, hunt a good area, stay scent free (not scent covered), be comfortable with a 35 yeard shot then all that is left is to conquer Buck Fever, which is the one great unkown everytime you hunt. And the main reason we head to the woods every October.

Good Luck.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Checking in went fishing in lake ont. this weekend ,caught 3 steelhead and 4 baby kings but no matures.Welcome fellow Pa.er. How did we get another team mate? Stone you are welcome to come for the hunt ,Tags I was told cost you around $150.It's a 3 day season ,no bait or dogs .They say the success is about 10%.

[/align]
Old 08-26-2007, 06:19 PM

its great! thanks man
ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

ORIGINAL: PaBowhunter29

hey mobowhuntr its great to be on a team with you
Thanks PA, good to have you as well!! How's that rest holding up for you??
Old 08-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

dayna0306,

Is it private land? No baiting???? I've never bear hunted but seems like a jar of Peanut Butter would go a long way in bringing a bear in. LOL! You see many in the area? Where is the land? I'd love to take a look at the property on Google Maps. You mentioned you had 4 bears already? How many years did it take you to bag them?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM

All, just to clarify. Chris_H has dropped from the contest, and PaBowhunter29has joined our team. Pa's a youngster from, well......PA, and with the help of a Drop Zone rest I gave him a couple months ago he's gonna bust a big one for the freezer this year as well!! I'm glad to have him on the team.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Wow! Chris_H lasted all of about 6 hours. Seems like the other teams are rattling our boys!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Probably got alittle nervous with all the email. There is alot of talk early on. I did get to scout this weekend and some new stand sites have been identified. I'm pretty hopeful to score one this year for the team.

Quick Reply: 2- Team Freezer Fillers official smack shack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.