Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 4-  Official  Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread >

4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

OB75 tell your nephew congrats, thats a heck of a buck!

I went out rifle huntin yesterday but didnt see a thing. I only crossed paths with three sets of tracks, all in one group.There usedto betons of deer still runnin around, but not this year. Even with such a crummy first day. IMO the game commission is killin too many doe, in this part of the state at least.[:@] I probably wont apply for a doe tag next year. My friend was up at his camp in 2F (around the Allegheny National Forest) during the archery season. He has hunted through archery and on into rifle. He has seen FOUR deer total. One doe in archery, and a group of 3 deer running past his stand in rifle 100 yards away.

What evidence does the game commission have that the deer are "eating all the new growth" anyway? Their logic just doesnt make sence to me.

Anyway, AR, good luck goose huntin! As crazy as it sounds,Im waiting for the ponds to freeze up before I head out to shoot at some geese. The only waterway I have access to is a creek, so parts of it remain un frozen in the winter, and the geese flock up in those areas almost every evening. Although, after 3 years of hunting goose and duck, Ive yet to get one.[&:]
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

Anyway, AR, good luck goose huntin! As crazy as it sounds,Im waiting for the ponds to freeze up before I head out to shoot at some geese. The only waterway I have access to is a creek, so parts of it remain un frozen in the winter, and the geese flock up in those areas almost every evening. Although, after 3 years of hunting goose and duck, Ive yet to get one.[&:]
I tell you what, waterfowl is hard....... I have been doing ok on getting them to come in, I just cant shoot the damn things. I have shot 3 geese and 5 duck this year and am not sure how many shells I have gone through. I love it when they decoy!!!!! last year I got 1 goose. good luck when the water freezes...

I dont see does in my area either... dont like to shoot them when you dont see them....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would be happy to loan you a few does.Some of my areas have way to many does.One landowner told me there was 26 deer taken off of his property so far this season.Thats alot of deer off of 150 acres.I could see a dozen deer everytime I hunted there.Mostly does.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHunter46

OB75 tell your nephew congrats, thats a heck of a buck!

I went out rifle huntin yesterday but didnt see a thing. I only crossed paths with three sets of tracks, all in one group.There usedto betons of deer still runnin around, but not this year. Even with such a crummy first day. IMO the game commission is killin too many doe, in this part of the state at least.[:@] I probably wont apply for a doe tag next year. My friend was up at his camp in 2F (around the Allegheny National Forest) during the archery season. He has hunted through archery and on into rifle. He has seen FOUR deer total. One doe in archery, and a group of 3 deer running past his stand in rifle 100 yards away.
There is always going to be a debate here. The problem with the Allegheny Nat'l forest is it's all mature timber and pines. There's no understory growth for browse. The PGC and the DCNR need to CUT the hell out of that place. Get the regrowth started. Get light to the forest floor to grow something the deer and other animals can eat.Where there is no food, there will be no deer. The deer have moved on to greener pastures as it were. Until someone realizes that , the place will be just a bunch of trees.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Geno thats exactly right. And what really gets me all worked up are their fenced in areas. In places where there are no pine trees, the growth is EXACTLY the same! Theres onearea in Clear Creek state Park where they cleared some pine trees put in a fence and what-a-ya-know, lush green shrubs pop up! Then of coarse the deer arn't able to access this new growth and are forced to search for food under the darkness of the pine trees. Before they know it, thedeer that are left are blasted out of the woods because of this "new growth."

Reguarding to my original post on this issue, I know there are more deer around my hunting area down here in 2d. I saw 10 doe the first day of archery and at least 5 different bucks. But I have no idea where they dissapeared too. Nobody Ive talked to has seen much of anything and Ionly know of 3 doe taken in rifle. Thats a total of six deer taken off the property all year (my 7 point and 2 other 10 points in archery). But deer numbers are still much lower than I would like to see.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHERE IS BLOODSAW!!!????
Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

WHERE IS BLOODSAW!!!????
Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

WHERE IS BLOODSAW!!!????
I sent him 2 e-mails. No response.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Our 1500 acre lease is surrounded by the Allegeny NF.We have lots of lower growth and a couple of green field patches that run along the river.I would love to clear and plant a couple of nice food plots.This will be the 2nd season we have not made it there to hunt.My brothers are talking about all getting together next year for the 2nd week of rifle.The first week is the same as Ohio's.I just want to use the cabin some more.It is a great area to tube or canoe.
That big timber can be tough to hunt.Try hunting near some power line or gas line clearings if there are any in your area.Deer love to browse on them.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 AM

Rifle season came and went with nothing exciting to report. I did lean a VALUABLE lesson though. Always sight in your rifle prior to the saeson. I missed 3 doe at spitting distance. My scope was WWAAAAYYY off. Oh Well!!
Second archery comes in Dec. 26th. and I have 3 tags. This is the first year in the last 15 I don't have any meat in the freezer by december. It's my own fault.
I didn't have much time to hunt w/ some changes at work ,so I'll be taking a couple vacation days for the late season to get us some inches on our score. My luck this year seems to be limited to bad luck.
I am going to change a couple stand locations next week. The snow on the ground will be a big help.

Quick Reply: 4- Official Team Trick'em 'n Stick'em Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.