Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 27-Official Team Bucks, Bows & Bros Thread >

27-Official Team Bucks, Bows & Bros Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

27-Official Team Bucks, Bows & Bros Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default RE: 27-Official Team Bucks, Bows & Bros Thread

it was a very successful hunt, all my hunts are, I just didn't kill a big buck. I brought back memories, photos, 100 pounds of boneless deer meat (burgerized all of it and then I got the straps too) - just didn't complete what I went there for is all
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Same boat here Big D, I was hoping to score a big one on the federal hunt, but didn't get a chance.

Been seeing some good bucks around home and now that gun season is upon MI tomorrow my standards will have fallen. I didn't see any sign of a rut in my area- no grunting, chasing, or tailing. I usually have a great rut with it busting loose all around me, but not this year. Oh well, I still have the late season.

My moment of shame, I did put an arrow into the shoulder of a nice 120" deer. The shot was alot more quartering away than I had origionally thought and I hit right where I wanted to (tight behind the shoulder), but I think with the angle it tucked into the leg without penetrating the chest. After the shot, I knew I hit bone seeing the arrow running straight along side him. I was hoping that it went into the chest and his leg snapped it off while running, but he was holding the leg up and running on three. Tracked for about 400yds and he stopped bleeding, while circling for blood I get a call from the neighbor (land that I hunt), she asks if I shot a huge buck? I say yes, why? She says, it is standing in my driveway with an arrow sticking out of it which is about 70yds from where we are looking for blood. Kept looking and nothing. Three days later I did follow a stink smell to a dead spike 12inch tines with a 11 1/2 inch spread. I thought for a moment when I seen the deer laying there I could have some peace of mind, but I don't so I am still kicking myself for this. It was a 11yd shot that just happened too quick for me. If I only could do it all over again.

I get sick every time I think about this, I really need to get over it. This is the first deer I've lost in over 10yrs which is probably 30 or more deer. That last sentence wasn't meant to brag or make it seem better I was just trying to show that I know how to track and make good shooting decisions. I really feel that if he doesn't get an infection that he will make it and we can battle again. I would really like to get him on the cam for a little peace of mind. Thatis it, thissorry sucker is done rambling.

Chris
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hungar-to bad. I live on the Ia./Ill. border (North end of state) & my area rut hasen't been the usual intense, bucks runnin either.
Ill. gun season opens this weekend so may drive to a few check stations & see what is being brought in. My Iowa Gun season isn't until Dec., so I have a couple weeks left.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas-wife back in hospital in Iowa City-had to have her back opened up again Thanksgiving day (1 month after 1st operation). Very sick at this point. If I get out at all it's gonna be one of those "COLD" late season monsters.
Hope all had a good Thanksgiving with family. We cancelled ours due to her surgery. I had a hospital cardboard grilled cheese & wife had pudding & I also spent my Birthday with her in the hospital the 21st..
Good Luck to the rest of you-we still have plenty of time. HAve faith, it only takes "ONE".....
Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well our team forum has been pretty quiet lately. I hope that everyone is doing well and had a good Thanksgiving.

ahunter- I am sorry to hear the news about your wife. We are all praying for her to have a quick, & safe recovery.

This hunting season has not been what I had planned on. Family obligations have really restricted my hunting time this year. I have only managed to make it out a few times and haven't had a bit of luck. I am still hoping to get out a bunch over the next month and a half that we have left here in IL. Hopefully I will be able to put some points up on the board for our team.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well our team has gone quiet. Haven't heard from anyone in awhile. Hope that everyone is doing well!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM

so far this year ive had a fairly good year. ive shot 2 bucks but they wer both with a gun. i havent had a single buck in bow range all season until i grab the gun. i still have alot of hunting left. hopefully ill change that soon. good luck guys

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/kevster14p/eightpoint.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/kevster14p/7pointjj.jpg
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife & I will get through this just fine-we have lot's of very good family & friends& lots of prayers.
I have until mid Jan & it only takes one time out, right. We never give up.
Good Luck fellas-go drop a few of those late season biggies.
I was headed to the hospital & saw about a 130, 10 bed down in some horse weeds 60 feet from the highway-he's gonna grow real big-perfect place to NEVER get shot-right on the edge of town.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I finally connected on one. It was an 8pt with 5 on one side and 3 on the other, he is not huge, but is one of my most memorable bucks I've shot. My oldest son Hunter (9) was with me on the hunt. A spike came in first quartering towards and Hunter was whispering "shoot", he must have said it 30 times. The 8pt followed and I got more "shoot" from Hunter, finally he turned and I was able to put a good shot on him. He went about 65yds and piled up, I had origionally thought I might have caught liver so I let him go for 5hrs. I looked at the arrow and no bright bubbly blood, it looked darker like liver so I let it lie. Upon inspection it took out both lungs and I belive clipped off the aorta which explains the darker blood on the arrow.

Odd tracking in 8in of snow, no blood for about 20 yds and then it was spotty up until the last 15yds. I would have expected more with the low exit, but he was filled up with blood on the inside.

The best part was having Hunter in stand with me and after the shot high fiving and hugging him and hearing him say "ya got him dad, ya got him". Hopefully here are a couple pics to follow. I will enter him in the contest when I get it back from my buddy the processor.

Hunter is the clowner, my other son Garhet is holding the trophy.

Good luck to all for the rest of the season and a safe and happy holidays.

Chris
Old 12-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats-Looks like the boys are MORE excited than Dad. I remember those days-Now, I get excited when my 30+ kids get a shot. It's great-he will remember that forever.You all have aMerry Christmas.

Quick Reply: 27-Official Team Bucks, Bows & Bros Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.