Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 34 - Official Team "Nocked Up" Thread >

34 - Official Team "Nocked Up" Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

34 - Official Team "Nocked Up" Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Default RE: 34 - Official Team 34 Thread

Huntin' camp is coming along kinda' slow, but that's ok. Still gonna' hunt the opener this Sat. Work on the camp on Friday and a little on Sat afternoon. Hope to have the electric and water run by next week. Jackie will be able to pull in his 5th wheel camper forthe end of Oct through the season.

Can't wait to get on stand!

Washed all the clothes last month. Hangin'em out tomorrow for a few days and back in the totes they go!

Vulcan is shooting awesome, broadheads hit with the field points, some stands are hung for early season, and I'm ready!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck on everyone's opening day, mine is tomorrow. I'm hoping to take a nice doe for early tablefare, but if a big buck happens by and gives me a good shot, I hope I am up to the task.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted on Saturday morning, Saturday night and Sunday morning. I saw probably 12 does the whole time. I drew back once on adoe that i jumped after i got out of my stand Saturday morning, but didnt get a clean shot. Im pretty much in meat mode right now.....lots of season left for hunting the big bucks. My buddy shot a nice 11 point about 4 miles from my house last night and they found it this morning. My cousin shot a button buck (thought it was a doe) on Saturday morning. My brother (Hick442) shot over the back of a doe on Sunday morning. Ive been seeing an unusual amount of turkeys this fall....but Medina County doesnt have a fall season. Ill be on the stand in an hour or two probably....theres a storm front hitting right now.

BTW i have an ethics question: I have a homemade stand thats in front of a cornpile that i have been getting pictures of lots of bucks at. And alot of the pictures are during the day. I was going to use the pile to get a doe this fall and to monitor the local buck herd. Well lately only bucks have been using the corn and my question is whether or not its ethical to shoot a buck over corn. I know its legal here in ohio and alot of people do it, but i just dont feel right about it. feedback would be great!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is one of the bucks that have been hitting my cornpile hard. therestwo other8 points andtwo6 points that also have been feeding at the pile. Not to mention the weird non-typicle thats been lurking around all summer.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i went out today at around 6 because the rain started to fizzle out. After about 15 minutes on stand a big doe came out inot the feild in front of me. She stayed around 100-125 yards away and went into the woods after about 30 minutes. Right before she went into the woods, a little 3 point walked out from behind some standing corn and into my shooting lane at 15 yards. I let him pass and he walked through a tree line and into a CRP feild directly behind my stand. After he made it to the CRP feild, he was joined by a spike and 2 does, and they proceeded through the CRP into a bean feild about 75 yards from my stand. After about 20 minutes, 4 does and 3 bucks (a 6 point, and the 2 aforementioned bucks) came out of the bean feild and made there way across the CRP feild. The first 2 does that walked into my shooting lane were way to small (fawns w/o spots) and the third stepped out at 25 yards and i took the shot. It went right under its belly and between her legs. The 4 does took off across the feild and went into the woods. The 3 bucks were still in the CRP feild browsing and they remained there for about 25 minutes before they all left on the same trail. I think they all hit a scrape too but im not sure. Overall it was a great day on stand....even if i missed and didnt see any shooters.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Caleb - it isn't unethical to shoot over bait. Ethics have nothing to do with it. It's personal choice. If you feel ok with it then it's ok. You won't be bashed by me as I bear hunt over bait.

Here's a question. Lets say you're doe hunting at the corn. The new world record buck shows up and gives you a dumper shot. Would you shoot?

If it were me, I'd drop the string in a heartbeat!

You don't need permission, nor should you ever apologize for the animal you harvest. Remember that young man.

Good luck your next time on stand.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the thing is that i know its legal and i know that alot of people do it. I just dont know if i feel right about harvesting a deer over bait. Im going to stay away from this stand for awhile i think....ill keep the corn there though and ill keep the trail camera their until the rut picks up and the deer start putting scrapes down. Ive decided to use it as a last resort come December if i havnt killed a buck yet.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Spike

If you are legally hunting over bait, I certainly have no problem with it, it's entirely up to you. And if I was hunting over bait and a monster walked in I would take the shot in a second.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the input guys!

And i went out todayand didnt see a thing
Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?Just about the time you think you've got the upper hand....[:@]

Quick Reply: 34 - Official Team "Nocked Up" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.