Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 19-Official Team 19 Thread

.gif got it the correct size. I'll fix the font tomarrow. And you can't see the bow against the tree. I tried to fix it but it really didn't make a difference.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's looking pretty good. We'll wait until you are finished and decide.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for the long post but I think it' a good story.

I got to practice real Maryland shooting conditions. 96 degrees with about 90% humidity. The Mossy Oak Archer's gloves are pretty sweet in this weather.

I also bought the Alpine cable slide today. Watching me and my buddy put it on my bow without a bow press was probably like watching 2 monkeys trying to hump a football.

First, he help the bow parallel to the ground and I tried to pull both cables back. Then we realized if he held the bow perpendicular to the ground I could draw the cables back and put the slide on. What a pain in the butt. However, the new slide seems pretty sweet.

Heres' a not so funny story about shooting today. The place I shot at is also the qualification station to hunt Patuxent Wildlife Refuge. There was a gentleman probably in his mid to late 70's. Maybe older than that trying to qualify with a crossbow.

He actually used 2 kitchen sponges to grab the cable on his crossbow to draw it. You had to line up 2 yellow rings on the string on the outside of the cocking mechanism or it would shoot left or right. The crossbow was probably 15-20 yrs old. A old PSE that used a V rest on the front and thebolt sat up in the lock pin. Most crossbows today the bolt sits down on the rail.

Anyway, he shoot poorly on the first 2 shots. missed far left on bothand missed the 3D deer with his 3rd shot low. At that point he said he couldn't draw his crossbow back anymore due to back pain and to be honest probably tired too.

So, I climbed the elevated platform and cocked his crossbow for him so he could shoot and made sure it was aligned properly for him.

He told me that it was his last year hunting and that he hadalready sold his fishing equipment and rifles and shotguns and was giving archery one last shot. I admired the gentleman but also felt sad that probably after 60+ years of being in the woods it was coming to an end for him. It almost made me want to tell him that I'd go out and cock the crossbow for him.

Watching him and his story made me think of my father. While he is only 59 he's had a myriad of health issues ranging from a bad back to lung cancerto the latest issue prostate cancer (thankfully his in full remission). How many more years does he have? That's the biggest reason I am returning to PA to hunt archery withhim.The past 2 years I didn't get a license for PA for the first time in 22 yrs of hunting with him and decided that I don't know how many more years ofhunting together we have.

Last weekend I sighted in his crossbow and it was enjoyable to talk to him about shooting andrazz each other about a poor shoot. I missed that and plan on spending the remaining years we have together enjoyingthe kind of camaraderie that you only get from hunting andfishing together. Sure, we talk about hunting and such on other occasions but there's nothing like actually shooting and hunting together.

This man taught me everything I know about shooting a shotgun and rifle and about hunting deer and field dressing game. Bought me my first guns. I still remember the first day of my hunting life hunting squirrels in the hills of PA. Sitting there in the dark waiting for the sun to come up and that first squirrel sitting on a branch like it was put there just for me to shoot. Taking aim while listening to my father go thorugh the steps on breathing and aiming and taking that first shot and getting that first squirrel. The pride that I saw on his face I'll never forget.

He didn't hunt archery and knew nothing about bows but still realized that it was a passion of mine at a young age and bought me my first recurve and compound bows. He even took up archery in his late 40's I believe to hunt archery with me after all the stories I'd come home with about what I saw.

I think I owe it to him to repay all the time her spent teaching me to hunt and shoot by returning to PA.

Back to the end of the range day story: After setting each string up for him he qualified in4 arrows on 3 deer. I know that's not great shooting by our standards. However that was pretty cool and made me feel good that I helped him qualify and spend 1last year in the woods.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Im done screwing around. Take it or leave it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did a great job Jarrod. Bothpictures look great. What was the font used in the previous one you did?

I think we can use any of the 3 that we choose. Almost all of the teams have shots from the archer's angle so I'm going to go with one of the 2 Jarrod did. Plus, it shows pride in one of our team member's efforts. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

say does it take a few minutes for the avvy to change?

BTW the font in #3 looks much better when big.

That bow must have a 50" BH

woot post 100
Old 08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spent a couple hours today with my 16 year old nephew.Got his bow set up and was giving him some instruction.He is amped to archery hunt this year.We will see if his competency is sufficient come archery season.At the very least I will take him out with me a few times.I will set double stands in some of the spots I have so we can do some hunting together.He is a good kid,I really look forward to having him out there with me!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I went shooting with a buddy today. We went to the shop (where they didn't have the string and cables I need) for a while, then to this park where WU has this 15' platform and bales of something for targets.

Watchin UFC now.

And the avvy still not working.

Silly me. I never clicked apply

pretty good fights.

Some teams have kickass logos. Others, not so much
Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jarrod,

Can you post the picture you have minus the badger? That one kicks some tail.

Scot,

That's cool about your nephew. It's great to see young people excited about hunting and especially archery. Sounds like you are doing everything right too. I also appreciate what you said on my thread and your story about what happened with you is touching. I can relate to what you went through with always being too busy. It's like our senses wake-up when we go back into the woods. What happened with your father is cool. That's great that you went with him and also got a buck. I'm proud of you being on my team.

Mike,

Thank you for the comments. You're a good guy.

I've very proud of my team right now. What a bunch of great guys.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for the long post but I think it' a good story.

I got to practice real Maryland shooting conditions. 96 degrees with about 90% humidity. The Mossy Oak Archer's gloves are pretty sweet in this weather.

I also bought the Alpine cable slide today. Watching me and my buddy put it on my bow without a bow press was probably like watching 2 monkeys trying to hump a football.

First, he help the bow parallel to the ground and I tried to pull both cables back. Then we realized if he held the bow perpendicular to the ground I could draw the cables back and put the slide on. What a pain in the butt. However, the new slide seems pretty sweet.

Heres' a not so funny story about shooting today. The place I shot at is also the qualification station to hunt Patuxent Wildlife Refuge. There was a gentleman probably in his mid to late 70's. Maybe older than that trying to qualify with a crossbow.

He actually used 2 kitchen sponges to grab the cable on his crossbow to draw it. You had to line up 2 yellow rings on the string on the outside of the cocking mechanism or it would shoot left or right. The crossbow was probably 15-20 yrs old. A old PSE that used a V rest on the front and thebolt sat up in the lock pin. Most crossbows today the bolt sits down on the rail.

Anyway, he shoot poorly on the first 2 shots. missed far left on bothand missed the 3D deer with his 3rd shot low. At that point he said he couldn't draw his crossbow back anymore due to back pain and to be honest probably tired too.

So, I climbed the elevated platform and cocked his crossbow for him so he could shoot and made sure it was aligned properly for him.

He told me that it was his last year hunting and that he hadalready sold his fishing equipment and rifles and shotguns and was giving archery one last shot. I admired the gentleman but also felt sad that probably after 60+ years of being in the woods it was coming to an end for him. It almost made me want to tell him that I'd go out and cock the crossbow for him.

Watching him and his story made me think of my father. While he is only 59 he's had a myriad of health issues ranging from a bad back to lung cancerto the latest issue prostate cancer (thankfully his in full remission). How many more years does he have? That's the biggest reason I am returning to PA to hunt archery withhim.The past 2 years I didn't get a license for PA for the first time in 22 yrs of hunting with him and decided that I don't know how many more years ofhunting together we have.

Last weekend I sighted in his crossbow and it was enjoyable to talk to him about shooting andrazz each other about a poor shoot. I missed that and plan on spending the remaining years we have together enjoyingthe kind of camaraderie that you only get from hunting andfishing together. Sure, we talk about hunting and such on other occasions but there's nothing like actually shooting and hunting together.

This man taught me everything I know about shooting a shotgun and rifle and about hunting deer and field dressing game. Bought me my first guns. I still remember the first day of my hunting life hunting squirrels in the hills of PA. Sitting there in the dark waiting for the sun to come up and that first squirrel sitting on a branch like it was put there just for me to shoot. Taking aim while listening to my father go thorugh the steps on breathing and aiming and taking that first shot and getting that first squirrel. The pride that I saw on his face I'll never forget.

He didn't hunt archery and knew nothing about bows but still realized that it was a passion of mine at a young age and bought me my first recurve and compound bows. He even took up archery in his late 40's I believe to hunt archery with me after all the stories I'd come home with about what I saw.

I think I owe it to him to repay all the time her spent teaching me to hunt and shoot by returning to PA.

Back to the end of the range day story: After setting each string up for him he qualified in4 arrows on 3 deer. I know that's not great shooting by our standards. However that was pretty cool and made me feel good that I helped him qualify and spend 1last year in the woods.
Dave... what a great post, i can really relate to this post as my dad will be turning 61 in a few days also. my grandpa was almost ready to give up hunting last season, but i was able to get him out and he shot decent buck the first day of gun season, he is 80 now and i dont know how many more season's there will be for him (hope alot more). him and my grandma basically brought me hunting and fishing since i was knee high to a grasshopper. I still hunt with my dad during late bowseason and, he's really why i picked up a bow when i was 12 in the first place and i owe it all to him.
i really like the new avatar badger good job man. Tsoc.. great your getting your nephew out there i bet he will get hooked after this year.
Dave, i like the cable slide its pretty sweet, alot better than the plastic one i had.

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.