HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2007 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest-91/)
-   -   41-Official Team Rut Junkies (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2007-bowhunting-contest/201640-41-official-team-rut-junkies.html)

kshunter 12-26-2007 08:01 AM

RE: 41-Official Team Rut Junkies

I was able to get out a couple more times over the Christmas Break. Saw a ton of deer, including 11 bucks last night alone, in which 5 were over 140, including 2 jaw-droppers. Since the icestorm, they've changed their routes, so I'll be changing my location slightly. Couldn't get closer than 90-100 yards last night. I'll be out again Saturday.

BTW... I also saw 2 bucks which have already shed.. one being the double droptine. Casi also found it's left side yesterday, dropped only 10 yards from the stand.The shed has9 points, but am pretty sure he's only 3 1/2 years. I got a good look at his injury, and it looks like his front leg is broken above the elbow. Hopefully he'll make it throughto next season.

kshunter 12-31-2007 09:40 AM

Sorry guys, but I couldn't pull through with a buck this year. For one reason or another, things wouldn't fall my way. Today is the last day, and I'm stuck here at work.

To recap:It has been a good season that Ihad lots of good encounters, and saw plenty of bucks. We were busier this fall than we've ever been, involving everything with moving, new jobs, buying a house, and especially the hundreds of hours we've already spent renovating it. But we were still fortunate enough to still get 40-50 times to bowhunt. The weather was harder than normal, with a near record amount of snowfall for December, and the bad icestorm. It usually was fun hunting in the weather, but definately changed the patterns for the deer. Suprisingly, the best deer hunting I had was the last 3 weeks of December.

Probably the hardest conflict in the actual hunting aspect this year was the change in the agriculture. I hunt 2 areas 95% of the time. The one spot has one primary field that didn't get planted, and stayed wheat stubble, which the deer didn't really like. The other spot was planted late, and didn't have wheat to attract deer until mid-Nov. Plus the deer numbers in the same spot seemed much lower than normal.

Fortunately, I was able to find some new areas on public which will be good hunting next fall during October. Overall, it was a good season. Getting a deer would've been the bonus. My wife went out hunting with me all but 2-3 times, so it was a great way for us to spend some time together, doing what we love. That's what it's all about anyways. I made a nice video log throughout the year of the ups, downs, and everthing in between.

Congrats to you guys on your deer! I had a great time being part of your team! Time to go and fill the freezers on some late-season doe tags :D

crazedbowhunter 12-31-2007 04:41 PM

Went out today and saw only 1 deer- a small doe. Deer are already in cover before light and dont come out till after dark:(. I am going ou tomorrow morning and hope to have better luck. Will keep you guys posted

bloodcrick 01-01-2008 09:54 AM

Kansas, glad you are part of the team as well, As long as memories were made is all that counts :)hope you get settled in. Guys that are still hunting, good luck to you as well ;)

nctaxi 01-04-2008 08:37 PM

Same report of no deer. Sorry guys, I really hoped that this was the year that I could reap the rewards of passing smaller bucks. Had a great season, actually did my first bear hunt and passed a few small bucks. Thanks to all that contributed to our run and congrtas to those who got to harvest one.

buckmaster 01-04-2008 08:43 PM

Nothing but my little spikey guys had fun went out walkin to day down through my field no camo or nothin, but carried my ML just in case for the last day got out there and seen more deer in one place than i ever had before...!!:eek:Go figure i coulda problably shot the doe but i didnt want to and there was a real nice 8-pointer and dark enclosed itself but he was too far for my ML. oh well he'll be A moose next year. Hope everybody had a great season, with or without the bucks you were after.

crazedbowhunter 01-15-2008 02:03 PM

Hey guys, my season ended saturday with me seeing buck chasing a doe around 100 yards away. That was the only deer i saw on saturday, but at least i know of 6 big bucks that weren't shot so they will be their next year.

bloodcrick 01-19-2008 07:06 AM

I dont know about you guys but i cant wait till next season again, it was a pleasure being on the same team with you guys ;)

ORIGINAL: crazedbowhunter

Hey guys, my season ended saturday with me seeing buck chasing a doe around 100 yards away. That was the only deer i saw on saturday, but at least i know of 6 big bucks that weren't shot so they will be their next year.