Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 38 - Official Team Rack Em Up Thread >

38 - Official Team Rack Em Up Thread

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

38 - Official Team Rack Em Up Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Bartender

Default RE: He got him!

Hello Team,

Oh I almost had a dream come true of killing a deer from the groundyesterday afternoon.
I am not sure if most of you know but I work 3rd shift. I went to bed kind of late yesterday 11 am instead of the usuall 09:30. Well of course that caused me to get up late which was 4 pm. The wind here in my part of Wisconsin was out of the east and I had no stand to use to hunt that wind. So I decided to throw my climber in the truck and head out. I got to a spot of the woods where its pretty thick and on a fence line, the farthest part west on the property. I was standing in the cut corn field and looked into the woods and not much for a spot to use my climber. So I said heck with it and decided to just go in and stand near a tree. Once I got in there I just had that feeling the spot was good. It has that canopy type feeling where you feel like your in a whole different world. Well about 06:10 pm I see movement to the east and here comes a real nice size doe heading towards me just off to the south. She stops and it seems she is staring right at me and I didnt even move. After about 2 minutes she carry's on and get to about 20 yards and by this time I have drawn my bow. She stops just short of one of the few lanes I have to shoot. Then she starts heading southwest on me and I cant get the shot off. Well now she starts heading more west and is currently about 45 yards in front of me to the south and heads west to this green pasture. Well I start watching back to the east to see if anything is following her. After about 10 minutes I hear a twig snap to my right and its that dang doe. She decided to come down the fence line and then head east right to me. I have the wind blowing right at her and I cannot move a muscle and she walks to right within 10 feet of me I could not believeit. So I am frozen and she stands there I have my right eye closed and can barely see her with my left. She is to my right the west of me. So finally she walks right in front of me 5 feet away itches then quarters away to the southeast. So now I got the forked tree and her between me and I can move a little. Well she gets about 10 yards out and I pull back figuring she will walk into my shooting lane to the left of that tree. Well she gets to that lane and stop with just her nose peering into the lane. Then thee ol little snort happens then she jumps about 2 feet to the southeast and then walks away. Oh what fun I had with that one and it would of been so cool to get one from the ground and now this has opened me to a whole new way of trying to get one. I have always used tree stands when bow hunting. Now I have a whole new challange. Dont get me wrong I have thougth about this but never figured I had a chance and now I do. Sorry for the long story but I had to share.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey nice story. I have hunted on the ground before with a muzzle loader and it was pretty cool. We had a group of 10 does run in right behind us and just scattter everwhere. I had one so close I could have reached out and touched her if I wanted to.

Another time I was squirrel hunting and I heard something coming down the hill. I was under a walnut tree and the walnuts were falling off all morning and making a ruckus so i didnt pay it any attention. Well in a couple seconds it comes up right behind me and I turn around and look up and there is a deer in mid-air jumping over me! It was awesome.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story Tony! It sounds like you had one heck of a hunt. I have only managed to kill one off of the ground with a bow and no ground blind. It was a mature doe and I shot her at 10 yds., needless to say it was quite a rush. Stick with it and I am sure you'll get it done.

I went out yesterday afternoon, but a thunderstorm cut my hunt short. It was a great hunt right up until the rain started. I had deer around my stand the whole time I was in the tree. I am heading out this evening with the hope of taking a second doe, so that I can concentrate on buck. I am also taking my youngest son (13) out for his first bow hunt on Sat. I am super excited about that. I'll keep everyonr posted and will hopefully have some more harvest pics shortly . Good luck to all of you, lets get some bucks on the ground for our team!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Bartender

Thank You Jenna.

Brett yesterday I believe deer were moving everywhere. A couple buddys one being JFergus7 on here called me and said they were moving everywhere in IL. Now today I see its going to be a south wind now instead of a east and I am really pumped. I put a new stand up last Friday and now I get to use it this afternoon. Should be heading out in about a hour. Chat ya all soon Oh sounds great hunting with the son have a blast man.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Season opened up Sat morning but due to my wife and medical school, I couldnt get into the woods until sat afternoon. It was mid 80's, clear blue skies and absolutly no wind. I got in my stand about 4:00 and had no action until 6:00 when a spike and doe came strolling right to me. I drew back on the doe and let one fly at about 20 yards. I made great shot just behind the shoulder. She ran about 175 yards before hitting the ground. Since I was trampling all over the woods, i decided not to hunt sunday. So far, one hunt and one deer. Season is looking good so far. Ill post some pics as soon as I get them from my cousin.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Bartender

Congrats Mike way to go pal. As soon as you have the pics available I will throw them on the greatdeer.com website.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe Mike!

I went out yesterday afternoon and didnt see a thing....the deer have just disapeared around here. I went out this morning to and still nothing....I dont know whats wrong.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, congrats on the doe and good luck on a buck!

I hunted yesterday afternoon and had one doe fawn come in range. She was the only deer I saw. Hopefully this weekend will be better. Our temps are still running higher than average and it looks like they are going to be that way until next week.[:'(]
Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

We finally got some much needed rain. Maybe our food plots will grow now. The little bit that was growing seems to be really pulling in the deer. I havent got any big bucks on cam yet but i know some nice ones are around. Good luck to everyone and thanks for the congrats. Season is shaping up nicely
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

We got some rain here to. Its been coming down for hours now and we need it. I think the plants are a bit confused though...my foodplot died during the summer and now its coming back from the deadI have pictures on my trailcam but I let someone borrow it and they didnt give me back the cords to get the pictures off it. So I am stuck not knowing till I get those back.

Quick Reply: 38 - Official Team Rack Em Up Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.